• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Default Messaging App - Crashes when inserting Gif

MarisaM

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
Is there any way to update the default "Messaging" app that came on my ZTE Zmax Pro? I use the Google Keyboard which has a feature to insert a gif but every time I try to insert one, the messaging app crashes.
I have tried using other messaging apps, but then I find that I miss out on MMS messages that seemingly never make it to my phone. Very infuriating!!
Thanks in advance

I understand that it would come from the developer but can't find a way to look for an update as this app does not appear in my google play "apps" list, I guess because it's a native app. So does that mean they created the app in 2016 and never updated it, ever?
I have tried textra, google messaging, and one other I can't remember the name because it was a while ago. Every single one has issues with sending and receiving MMS, as does the stock app but it only happens ocasionally whereas the others it happens constantly.
Guess I'm SOL which is what I thought but this was a last-ditch effort for advice.

Upvote 0
"Native" apps often get updates through the Play Store. However if ZTE don't do that for their apps then I'm afraid that your only hope is them releasing a system update including a new version - which does not sound very likely at this point.

The other apps you have tried work fine on other devices, which makes me wonder what ZTE have done that breaks them on yours? But I can't think of a solution except try some more message apps in the hope that one will work, or don't use that keyboard feature.

(Have you tried that feature in any other app? Just wondering whether the problem is the message app or whether your phone just doesn't work with that keyboard feature per se?)

Upvote 0
Use Android Messages or Textra. The stock messaging app on the Zmax Pro is very limited.

I have 2 ZTE Zmax Pros and I have used both Android/Google Messages or Textra just fine. You may need to tweak the APN settings because that phone had some issues w/mms

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones