• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disappointed in Sprints speeds in your area?

So talk about a burst bubble! Sure, Sprint has unlimited data at "full speed. Here I thought in NYC and surrounding areas 4G would be pretty well covered. When I get it, it's very fast, but I only get it at the Jamaica and Atlantic terminal areas of the LIRR, out at home nor at work! So, I get a Galaxy 10.1 tablet from Verizon with an LTE plan's $30 a month for 2 whole GB! I figure if it works as advertised I can rationalize the expense as entertainment- maybe even write off a portion for work... Nope! Speed and availability no better than Sprint, so back it went.

Enough wifi around - especially with Optimum in the area on Long Island so I can wait for real 4G coverage- maybe when the announce 5 or 6 G! :)

Upvote 0
When I bought my EVO back at launch, I was one of the lucky ones to be in a 4G coverage area. It's one reason I picked the EVO, otherwise I may have stayed with my old feature phone. 4G here is still pretty good, and I find it in more places than I expect when traveling. 3G is a crap shoot; sometimes it's great, other times I feel like I'm on dialup. When I do my heavy lifting, however, I usually am on wireless so it doesn't bother me too much.

I have another year and a half on my current contract so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm waiting to see how Sprint's LTE rollout goes. If it proves to be promising, I'll use my last upgrade next year on an LTE phone. If it seems to be going the way the wimax rollout did, I'll probably jump ship next year sometime.

Upvote 0
SpeedTest Result - As you can see 3G speeds are slow in this area.

Attachments

• 134164863.png
    134164863.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I agree with the thread creator, Sprint just sucks in Springfield. I live just outside of Springfield and the 3G data has been horrible for at least a year on the south side of Springfield. Even though I may have 3 or more bars signal speed tests regularly show my ping at or above 1 second (that's right 1000ms) and download speeds below 30kbps. That's pretty much the entire south side of Springfield, MO. LMFAO I live about 180 miles from the Sprint HQ.

My wife works on the south side of town and has given up trying to use her phone to do anything other thank voice and simple SMS during her 8 hour work day. We have both tried (repeatedly) to browse the web, use apps or send MMS and nothing happens. This is on an almost daily basis for almost a year. I had to laugh when I went to the Sprint Corp store (with a tower strapped onto its backside) on the south side of town and I still couldn't pull down a webpage, go the Market or sent an MMS. Download speed was sub 20kpbs and pings were between 850ms and 1000ms.

I'm not even worried about 4G. I don't have a reliable 4G signal anywhere near where I live and even when I travel to larger cities, which I do all the time, with it I rarely if ever get a good signal in the buildings or hotels I stay in. I had to laugh when a few weeks ago I had a job that took me to the Plaza in down town Kansas City. That's about 15 miles from Sprint's Headquarters. And while I could get some 4G while walking around outside. Yep forget it inside. LOL 15 miles from home base.

I guess the answer I'm hearing here is suck it up, pay the money and use WIFI... :eek:

Upvote 0
I was in DC and what a shocker I had with my Sprint 3g Service. Sitting on the 4th floor in the Hyatt, I could pick up a 4g signal, great I thought. However the 4g only gave me about 1mbps down and about 500k on the up. It wasn't much better then what the 3g gave me so I just used the 3g. When I walked down the road a few blocks to have dinner, the 3g service was horrible, my 3g speeds were like a 100k on the download and like 50k on the up, I was able to pick up a 4g signal with a whopping 200k down.

I have noticed Sprints slow download speeds in Norfolk, VA and in Omaha, NB. My wife's Thunderbolt on the 3g no issues. Surprisingly I did a field trip to Gettysburg PA and the 3g was lighting fast at over 1.5mbps on the download.
It sure seems like the bigger the city the more degraded the data service. My contract is up in June, and based on these findings I am considering switching back to Verizon.

FB

Upvote 0
Yep. I can't believe that Sprint has let thier network get so bad. Really want to stay with them, but they only have until this summer and the release of new phones to keep me.

If the Galaxy s3 comes out before the network is fixed. I am gone.

Still nothing but dial up speeds here all day long.

Upvote 0
Sprint network is definitely less than impressive... I work in Atlanta GA, and 3G speeds are fine, and even tho I'm suppose to have 4G speeds it annoyingly doesn't penitrate thru my work building well, I have to literally walk 10 steps west to even pick up a decent 4G signal... I really want to like and stay with Sprint but its getting a little ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Heh you guys think you have it bad. Phoenix is the 5th or 6th largest city in the US, and we don't have 4G!!!!!! :(

Neither does Indianapolis, the 12th largest city :mad: I bought my EVO on release day not really caring about 4g. But in that time I've seen; 3g speeds drop from a consistent 1 Mbps to about a consistent .5 Mbps, a $10 premium data fee, and a change in the premier rewards structure so I no longer qualify.

And to make matters worse, we've had Verizon LTE for almost a year now.

Upvote 0
I agree with the thread creator, Sprint just sucks in Springfield. I live just outside of Springfield and the 3G data has been horrible for at least a year on the south side of Springfield. Even though I may have 3 or more bars signal speed tests regularly show my ping at or above 1 second (that's right 1000ms) and download speeds below 30kbps. That's pretty much the entire south side of Springfield, MO. LMFAO I live about 180 miles from the Sprint HQ.

My wife works on the south side of town and has given up trying to use her phone to do anything other thank voice and simple SMS during her 8 hour work day. We have both tried (repeatedly) to browse the web, use apps or send MMS and nothing happens. This is on an almost daily basis for almost a year. I had to laugh when I went to the Sprint Corp store (with a tower strapped onto its backside) on the south side of town and I still couldn't pull down a webpage, go the Market or sent an MMS. Download speed was sub 20kpbs and pings were between 850ms and 1000ms.

I'm not even worried about 4G. I don't have a reliable 4G signal anywhere near where I live and even when I travel to larger cities, which I do all the time, with it I rarely if ever get a good signal in the buildings or hotels I stay in. I had to laugh when a few weeks ago I had a job that took me to the Plaza in down town Kansas City. That's about 15 miles from Sprint's Headquarters. And while I could get some 4G while walking around outside. Yep forget it inside. LOL 15 miles from home base.

I guess the answer I'm hearing here is suck it up, pay the money and use WIFI... :eek:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues in Springfield!!

I have Sprint and and check this out - I'm getting about 30kbps if I'm lucky on the download but my upload is consistently about 500kbps.

I'm seriously thinking about bailing from Sprint and going with Verizon in the next day or two. I can disconnect from Sprint for about 50 bucks and stay on my other Verizon line (a data chip that I no longer need, so it's either pay 175 to disconnect from Verizon or keep my contract and convert it to a phone line) and pay at least 175 for a new phone.

Very disappointing.

Upvote 0
First off, I hate it when people jump on others about "the $10 fee isn't for 4g". Sorry, but when I first signed up for the evo and sprint mentioned that charge to me and I asked them about it, they told me that it *was* in fact for 4g service. Then they changed it and started calling it a "premium data charge". Because people were bitching about not having 4g service.

And heres my rant, Yes sprint is cheapest, by far of any other carriers. But having said that as each day goes by I find myself digging around on verizon.com doing price compairsons. The highest d/l speed I get from sprint is around 1mb (at work) at home I get maybe .20. We have a verizon lte card here at work and we get 15mb's down.

The thing I always say to myself is "yeah, its nice paying around $90/mo for sprint, but man that extra $30 to have 20gb of data through verizon sounds awesome" (Verizon is launching another of the double data for the same price on Friday) But I never end up ordering because I feel like if I hold out for maybe another year that sprint will improve their data enough that it would be a wash, I am never expecting to get 15mbs down from sprint, but 3-5mbs down would be fine by me. And I know Dan is really trying his best to make sprint a better provider, and sprint has always been really cool about different issues. I've heard that verizon isn't.

So in closing hopefully sprint does get going pretty soon on tower upgrades and things of that sort. And getting that galaxy nexus out.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I hear ya BrianJB....
Overall, I really do like Sprint... Price is right and network coverage is good.. I've been with em for quite some time (10 years-ish), they have always treated me really well.. I only pay about $180 a month for 3 smartphones w/ unlimited data and text and more minutes then I'll ever need (tax and fees included)... but, lately the data speeds are just plain slow.. its really gotten frustrating!! I will hold on about 18 more months (the remainder of my contract) and if I don't have Network Vision and LTE fully deployed here (Phoenix), I'm out. The network coverage is generally good/reliable here and everywhere I've ever traveled, but, personally, I think its getting a little ridiculous that a city like Phoenix has such slow speeds. Since my experience has been good with Sprint, I would definitely consider returning in the future.. but I can only take the slow data speeds for so much longer. So, That being said, I really hope Sprint's Network Vision upgrades are as good (or even half as good) as they sound.

Upvote 0
Who told you it would be there soon? A sales guy at the local Sprint store? Unless it was in an official press release from Sprint you should know better. The people selling you the phones and service are going to tell you what you want to hear for the most part.

That's simply naive. If the guy behind the counter is wearing the Sprint logo, for all intents and purposes he IS Sprint. Setting aside the disparities between cell phone capabilities and cell phone service offered, if the representative says it the consumer has a reasonable expectation to not be lied to. If you genuinely believe that store representatives have the right to lie in the name of selling product then you're not in a position to be offering advice.

Reactions: la sal and 330D
Upvote 0
That's simply naive. If the guy behind the counter is wearing the Sprint logo, for all intents and purposes he IS Sprint. Setting aside the disparities between cell phone capabilities and cell phone service offered, if the representative says it the consumer has a reasonable expectation to not be lied to. If you genuinely believe that store representatives have the right to lie in the name of selling product then you're not in a position to be offering advice.

If that's how you go about buying things, then good luck. There are big differences wherever you buy things even when you think it's the same place. Always do your own research. There will be differences in what yousee. Also things change rapidly, especially in the cell phone biz.

Reactions: Tommydaniel
Upvote 0

It's more naive to think a SALESMAN is going to be honest with you 100% of the time. They are there for one purpose, to make money and they will do what it necessary to make sure they make that money. Whether it's cars, tvs, or cellphones.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain! I spent six months calling Sprint every few months, complaining about the service. Forget 4G, I was lucky to get 3G. Some days, at my own house, I wouldn't get a signal at all. They tried to send me an AirRave but I don't have internet at home so they cancelled my ETF and let me out of my contract.
Switched to Verizon, added the Mobile Hotspot (which raised my plan to unlimited 4G LTE) and couldn't be happier!
Definitely paying a bit more per month, but you get what you pay for. Well, in the case with Sprint, I would have loved to have received what I paid for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones