• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root does everything work on GV 1.4 ?

Just wondering if I should have flashed the ROM, then set it up, then flashed the kernel, then rebooted, then flashed the RIL, then rebooted. Y'know, do everything in stages...?

Rom and kernel should be fine, but I probably would put the RIL on afterwards. Is your RIL definitely the correct one for your radio? Do you have a problem with the RIL supplied with GV?

Upvote 0
have you gone back to Eviollet HAVS AXI CFS or are you testing the new kernel thats part of the rom??
Sorry, been offline all day today - v. unusual!

Was giving the GV HAVS kernel a test, and then that was updated today so I'm now testing the 1.8 version. All seems very snappy, USB transfer seemed faster than most 2.37 kernels I've used and battery not bad. Will let it overnight, see how that goes. Will have to try EViollet with 1.5 to compare at some point soon.

Upvote 0
I now can get as low 4mA with WiFi on and 3mA with WiFi off.

2 hours of screen on and I still got this yesterday:

CAP2011031303221.jpg

So 4 hours screen on.could have seen 34 hours battery life. Impressed with that

Upvote 0
What are you using to keep the display from killing the battery?

When I was on Stock ROM with Sense, my display always used very little of the battery (maybe 5-8% over an entire day) and I left it on Auto all the time.

I'm now using Auto Brightness on GV. Here's what I have today:

10.5 hours up
2.5 hours with the screen on
74% of usage from Display
37% charge in the battery

The next biggest items are cell standby and phone idle at 5 and 6%.

I did go into CM settings and adjust the brightness levels. I have them set between 30 and 50 for all of the levels. So, what am I missing?

Upvote 0
I have the brightness setting on minimum and set to full if I need it via notification widget set to dim/100%

There's nothing you can really do. It always adds up to 100%. It was so low on stock sense because everything else was using a lot of power so the screen % was relative.

Now you have custom aosp with undervolted kernel, everything else is using much less power but the screen is the same so everything elses % goes down and the screen seems higher but its all relative.

If my WiFi had been off, my screen would have been higher. I certainly get upto 75% sometimes

I use the eviollet kernels which I find more battery efficient too

Upvote 0
I have the brightness setting on minimum and set to full if I need it via notification widget set to dim/100%

There's nothing you can really do. It always adds up to 100%. It was so low on stock sense because everything else was using a lot of power so the screen % was relative.

Now you have custom aosp with undervolted kernel, everything else is using much less power but the screen is the same so everything elses % goes down and the screen seems higher but its all relative.

If my WiFi had been off, my screen would have been higher. I certainly get upto 75% sometimes

I use the eviollet kernels which I find more battery efficient too

Thanks. I don't want to adjust the brightness manually all the time. I figured out the levels for the auto brightness, but there are lots of options under the display settings in CM that I don't understand. I have googled and couldn't find a FAQ or tutorial about them.

If anyone has more info on what they all do, I would appreciate it.

Edit: I still think my screen is using significantly more power than yours. I realize that it should if you are setting it to minimum all the time, but I wouldn't think it would be so significant.

If the battery measurements are accurate, we can see in your example that 45% of the capacity of your battery is used. 45% of the amount used is from the screen. So, multiplied together, that is 20.25% of your total battery's capacity used by the screen in 2 hours.

In my case, I calculated it using 46% of my battery's capacity in 2.5 hours. So, almost twice as much as yours.

If that was the case, I would have never gotten the kind of life out of my Desire with the Sense ROM that I did (according to your explanation, the screen was using the same amount of power but the system was using even more than the screen - I wouldn't have lasted half a day...)

Honestly, total battery life is NOT improved dramatically with this ROM so far. So, something is different with the power consumption of the display - OR - the battery logging is either not accurate and significantly different that that on the stock ROM.

Upvote 0
I promise you my explanation is correct. Your display is using more power than mine as yours is brighter.

When I have everything turned on, my screen uses a smaller percentage of the battery. When I have things turned off, my screen uses a bigger percentage of battery.

There's nothing particularly wrong with your results. They look perfectly normal to me

It's all relative and depends on usage.

Also in regards to your maths and half a day battery, don't forget that when the screen is off, much less power is being used by everything (sleep) so the percentages can remain the same but the battery will last longer than you think.

For example, this is what mine look like right now

CAP201103131409.jpg

Have you tried the eviollet kernel? I find them much better than the gv kernels

Upvote 0
Off topic, but Ultimate online theme kitched V 4 (after some requests and info from a few of us at XDA) now supports themechooser.apk

Mine is still being cooked. Awaiting it to be finished to test.

http://uot.dakra.lt/kitchen/

On the last page instead of picking framework-res, you upload an existing apk and it cooks based on that.

I'll let you know results.

My test worked but need to re do it

CAP201103131931.jpg

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
how does this work then, you pick everything you want then they cook it into the rom of your choice? and what do you mean about the framerate-res???

Remember this post when you had your problem when you flashed battery mod?

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...s-everything-work-gv-1-4-a-2.html#post2412750

Where a theme swaps out the framework-res.apk when you flash it? And that it changes on each version of the rom and the wrong framework causes the problems you had?

Well gingervillain also has an app called theme chooser which you install themes via an apk and just select it in the app. You may have downloaded such a theme.

Well historically, the theme kitchen only made flashable zips, so you had to cook a new one everytime you updated your rom. Themechooser themes are not the same. Now the kitchen creates them for you, so you can make 10 themes and choose between them without flashing anything and works on all theme chooser roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones