• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does your DInc drop wifi connections? What is "recieved deauthentication" (router log message)

kjarrett

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010
I have a DLink DIR-655 router (awesome BTW) on my home LAN and my DInc seems to randomly disconnect when idle. This would not be a problem except I am using the Setting Profiles app, configured with a rule that turns OFF wifi when I disconnect from my home LAN. (SP is awesome and does exactly what I want - turns wifi off when I leave for work and then turns it on when I get home.)

Here is my question: I am wondering what wireless security settings I am using that might contribute to unstable connections for my DInc. When it disconnects, SP turns wifi off, and so then it will never reconnect unless I intervene.

I am presently using WPA2 only, AES cipher, 3600 second group key update interval. My key is 26 hex characters (a throwback to the one I used with WEP until recently). I tried running WPA only but the DInc only connected at 802.11g speed. Running WPA2 I connect at 802.11n speeds.

My router logs show an entry with the phrase "received deauthentication" for the DInc when it drops out. Obviously, I also see wifi "off" on the phone at that point as well.

Hope some of this makes sense. Thanks!

-kj-

The de-authentication message you are receiving is your router letting you know that the phone disconnected(due to the wi-fi being off or the key being lost some how). You are most likely on the right track with messing with your security settings. I'd try going WEP64 and work your way up from there.
Lastly, in my opinion you aren't really going to see that great of a speed difference between the g and n connection on the INC, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can run a speedtest to confirm.

Upvote 0
Well I thought I'd solved this but no luck. Running WEP64 is a little better but it still disconnects periodically - when idle, mostly. Is there some setting I need to check?

Too bad running an open wifi connection is out of the question or I'd try that.

Just wondering why the DInc would drop signals like this. Annoying...

Upvote 0
The next step in troubleshooting would be to try someone else's router just to see if it is a hardware/software issue specific to your phone, but if you are willing to live with it, i guess don't worry about it.
Maybe if someone else here with the same router as you can chime in.
Or haven't mentioned if you've tried different channels on the router?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones