• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dorimanx kernel - Dummies Guide

i know you directed this at ironass (he'll give you a much more informed response), but I'm gonna wade in with my thoughts anyway! to my mind dori is more experimental and pushing the limits of the phone, siyah is more stable solid and reliable but less adaptable. Perhaps this is the reason sale is sticking to using siyah for his lastest UHLPZ NeatRom Lite v3.6 release.

imho if you want it just to work, stick to siyah. if you want the latest bells and whistles like cron, want to dabble with your settings, potentially get better battery, and don't mind things occasionally not working so well, go with dori

Reactions: parag1dubey
Upvote 0
Ironass, Is Siyah kernel superior to dori 7.15.1 ? Even i find that 7.15.1 is not very battery friendly. Whats the difference between siyah 5 and dori? Which is better for smoother scrolling and battery life?

parag1dubey, parag1dubey, parag1dubey!

Both kernels are free!

Both take about 5 minutes to download and install!

Why not just try both?

Because, until you do, you'll never know the answer to your question of which is best for you! ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks Syd, Hawker and Ironass.
I already flashed Siyah 5.01 (or whatever the latest is)and I have been running it for a few hours.

That'll teach us 3 Stooges to answer your questions so quickly!

Battery drain is higher than in dori kernel. I will leave it overnight and see what the rate of drain is.

That's because, unlike Dorimanx, the latest releases of Siyah do not have any pre-configured profiles, i.e. Battery, Performance, etc; and you have to do your own settings in STweaks to optimise it for Performance or Battery. Otherwise it is on straightforward default settings. It also does not have the facility to Backup or Restore those settings either.... Syd forgot to mention that. ;)

Hopefully dorimanx will fix the bugs in 7.15.1 and release a new one :)

Or you could install Dorimanx v7.11.

Tip: It is recommended to allow a few days for a kernel to, "bed in", before making any value judgments on it

Upvote 0
No Ironass, I flashed the kernel after syd's reply so technically i did wait for you guys to answer ;) Battery is draining more slowly now, better battery stats shows 7.0% per hour. BTW , i did get the option to set default profile to battery optimized so i am guessing the new siyah kernel does have preset profiles. By the way, Syd, when will the new Neat Rom be released? u mentioned it in your reply.

Upvote 0
Battery is draining more slowly now, better battery stats shows 7.0% per hour. BTW , i did get the option to set default profile to battery optimized so i am guessing the new siyah kernel does have preset profiles.

Errr... I'm guessing that you didn't read the changelog for Siyah v5.0.1 before flashing it! ;)

The Profiles may be showing in Recovery... but they don't work.

"Changelog:

Dual booting with new CM10 + Samsung ICS ROM
improved touch sensitivity
5-step GPU
added arm topology patches again, with cpupower driver.
merged with a JB leak (3.0.31)
removed dynamic cpu freq steps. they are all fixed now.
removed some settings from ExTweaks interface such as cfstweaks
orbot is now working (only tested on Samsung ROM)
Reboot into 1stROM, Reboot into 2ndROM in STweaks. (v5.0a2)
STweaks added to initramfs. it will be autoinstalled only once. it is my own implementation of uci.sh interface. There is almost no difference (except for resetting to defaults in the last tab) between ExTweaks and STweaks. It’s been used for some time in my S3 kernel and fairly stable. I wanted to put it in the last version of my S2 kernel as well. it is my second android app (first one is FastDormancy app).. it doesn’t have a fancy UI but not bad for a beginner .
BLNWW (BLN Without Wakelock).
Touch gestures optimizations (thanks to Tungstwenty for the latest changes and for this great feature).
added speaker and mic amplification/sensitivity settings which are based on fluxi’s mc1n2 interface, reversed and ported to uci.sh interface by dorimanx, tested and committed to my initramfs by robertobsc.
automatic led brightness level. touch voltage level will be ignored if this one is checked in STweaks
added B2G support (thanks to atilag@github for the initramfs changes).
added an option in STweaks to set a delay in FB earlysuspend to properly play CRT animation (implemented originally by Codeworkx).
reverted wifi driver to the one in cm10 kernel
fixed auto-brightness issue on CM10.
fixed some 2ndROM related problems in recovery when installing zips or restoring backups
fixed BLN intensity when auto led brightness is selected.
applied latest lulzactiveq tweaks from robertobsc.
mali and vsync related changes (mostly from Entropy512′s commits) which are supposed to improve the battery life
removed battery and performance profiles.
removed lots of cpu governors. available governors: pegasusq, ondemand, conservative, hotplug, lulzactiveq
new optional GPU frequency steps. enable VPLL Mode in STweaks but make sure you read the description.
fixed a CM10 specific problem with the new GPU steps but it still doesn’t guarantee that the new steps will be stable on your device.
added slide2wake (thanks to Fluxi) + some optimizations
added mdnie interface and made hardcore’s sharpness tweaks optional in STweaks
lulzactiveq fixes by robertobsc and added cpu governor selection back to stweaks
Finally fixed vpll problem and made it default (thanks to robertobsc for his helps on testing)
v5.0i -> v5.0.1: reverted wifi driver to fix wifi direct & other wifi related problems. touch gestures off when screen is off. analogue headphone amp in stweaks. new & faster stweaks. mxt224e touchscreen choppiness fix.
"

Upvote 0
7.16 is now up
Hopefully this will fix the cron problem

Each time I install a new version of Dori since the crontab feature came in, I have to update my busybox each time, so presumably a version of busybox gets installed with Dori? If so, why doesnt the latest busybox get included as a matter of course?

I never know where to find the changelog for this kernel, so I shall leave that up to our friendly neighbourhood ironass.

I dont seem to be able to select the extreme battery profile in this version

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
7.16 is now up
Hopefully this will fix the cron problem

Each time I install a new version of Dori since the crontab feature came in, I have to update my busybox each time, so presumably a version of busybox gets installed with Dori? If so, why doesnt the latest busybox get included as a matter of course?

Strange as it may seem, up until this release I would have agreed with you but this time I didn't have to update BusyBox! :thinking:

I never know where to find the changelog for this kernel, so I shall leave that up to our friendly neighbourhood ironass.

Elementary my dear Hawker!

"Change Log:

*Reduced kernel size by 550KB! it's give us more room for new code.
nothing removed, just compressed better.
*Added modules for serial cable, to connect to console ports of network hardware, who need that, know how to use it, all the rest ignore this
*Fixed Cortex service killed in long deepsleep, and we lose all tweaks and CPU stuck in 600Mhz or min 1Ghz... should be OK now.
*Fixed Crontab timezone config, now all jobs will be on time for all.
But in logs it's will show the UTC timezone time, not your time. but task was done as should. tested many times, and it's works great.
There is a possibility to add custom tasks, i have created script for that.
see initramfs git and check the CRON commits, all there with notes
*Fixed some messages that return to screen on pushing things at STweaks, now all work as should.
*Reduced DEBUG messages pushed to dmesg every 3~5 sec, may help to save little bit of battery, and clean the mess so i can see what really important.
*Trying to restore normal support for MIUI ROMS, please test with MIUI ROM if DATA and WIFI working.
*New ZRAM swap driver ported and tuned by VOKU! it's now faster and smarter, and less CPU demanding.
but to load ZRAM swap above 50MB you will have to use hacked services.jar for your ROM, or ROM task killer, shutdown other services and apps and release RAM, so ZRAM has nothing to do to help. and it's remain at 0 use, or 5~30MB usage.
*No longer need to switch to development ADB for JB ROM, now it's loaded by auto, and option is removed from STweaks.
*Gestures code is now shutdown by auto in code level if screen is OFF. Code fix by GM!
*Kantjer managed to compress recovery image and saved us 50KB free space. and in kernel every 10KB is good to have free.
(he have removed 25KB from each image, we have 2 the same, one as recovery logo, second as logo when we install something.)
"

I dont seem to be able to select the extreme battery profile in this version

No problem with extreme_battery profile here. Selected it and waited 30 sec's and up it came.

Upvote 0
Dorimanx kernel v7.16 (updated) for ICS/JB is up! :)

Additional changelog

"*Updated Support for MIUI roms.
*Fixed CRON job file
for 100% fix please turn off cron main switch
and delete folder
/system/etc/cron.d
then turn on cron switch in STweaks.
*Fixed restore profiles via STweaks.
"

*** Hawker's latest GS2KernelWipe 1.94 will do this automatically for you if you run it.

Installed and everything appears to be working fine. Lets see if Cron Tasks does its stuff while I'm asleep!

Reactions: dynomot and Twinn
Upvote 0
I did read the changelog, ironass, but i got confused when i found the profiles in kernel specific options. I stand corrected. But in any case, I am moving to Dorimanx 7.16 now and a new rom ( :D am a certified flashaholic now). Syd, u had flashed Rootbox, if i am not wrong. are u still running it? how was it? And are u all neatrom faithfuls moving to the new Neatrom which is up now?

Upvote 0
Just downloading 7.16 now, Cron tasks didn't work for me either with 7.15.1. I hope for better luck with the latest release. I had to update Busy Box to get the Cron task service to appear "ONLINE" to start with, yet the Busy Box app (available from the play store) actually reinstalled the same version I had. A bit odd, but there you go, it seems to be set up to run now.

Upvote 0
Dorimanx kernel v7.17 for ICS/JB is up! :)

"Change Log:

*Reduced some debug messages, more clean dmesg.
*Fixed CRON for ICS ROMS, should work + Optimized the scripts with VOKU
Idea to free cache only if it's using more than 50% of memory.
*Thanks to GM for guide, now cortex + cron + gestures will never be killed from RAM. so stability restores to 100% no more stuck CPU on low/high freq.
*Added Serial + Console modules to load on boot, for people that use them to connect to serial external hardware.
*Tuned for detection of CISCO VPN client for VPN, if installed, IPV6 module activated by auto. and people can use the app to connect via VPN.
"

Am using Hawker's latest GS2KernelWipe 1.94 prior to installing... just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Twinn and Hawker
Upvote 0
Hawkers kernel wipe should be in the play store. It would save alot of people problems they blame on the kernel or phone happening. I always use his Nuke script as well when switching ROMs, it's a bind to set everything back up and probably unnecessary but better safe than sorry. I might try NEAT 3.6 without a Nuke if Ironass continues to have no problems. I'd love to be a Guinea Pig for nightly builds of CM 10 and the like, but I cannot risk a bricked device. The relief already when I can get to recovery mode is immense. If I have no working phone with email and drop box it would make my job almost impossible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones