• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Download Manager Stuck

cdris7319

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
Let me start by saying I'm a total dummy with smart phones. The only apps I use are the basic ones that come with the phone; email, camera, contacts, phone, messaging, chrome, gallery, calculator, weather, and occasionally google maps and the alarm clock. I have only downloaded one app and that was to back up my messages to move from one phone to another. I deleted it as soon as I ported my messages. Whenever something shows up at the top about updates or something - I just "clear" and keep using the phone.

Yesterday, for some unknown reason, I said yes to the marshmallow 6.0 update. I noticed that my weather app wouldn't update. I clicked "update" and got a notice that said I had to update the "weather theme" in order for the app to work. The download manager ran for 9 hours until I cleared the cache/data.

Also, I noticed another icon in the notification bar. When I slid it down it said "App Updates - Preparing to update apps". That was up there for hours until I finally agreed to the LG terms of service. Then I sew that 8 apps have updates. I selected the email, the weather, and the quick memo. Again, I have the download manager running for 12 hours (I did this after midnight last night). The only 2 listed are the weather theme and quick memo 2. I don't know why email isn't there.

Anyway, in playing around I discovered that many of my Google apps don't work. Google Play just shows a white screen, and the others just have a spinning circle. I don't know if this has been the case all along or just since this marshmallow thing because I don't use them.

So - based on my phone usage - the only thing that bugs me is the weather app. Even though email needs an update - it works. It displays differently that it did before marshmallow, but that's fine. I used Quick Memo once in the past, but that app won't work at all until the update is in place. But I have concerns that things will get worse if I don't fix it all.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones