• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help E-mail limitations

I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. Google runs a business in direct competition with Exchange. It's business mail service is one of its pay services which it's actively trying to sell. Bundling in a built-in client for Exchange that is better than their GMail client isn't going to be in their best interest.

Saying that the N1 is somehow fatally flawed for missing an application that's not only easily available on the market, but also works better than any other Exchange sync app on any phone I've used is what I don't understand. Complaining about the 3G coverage dropping, or that it's on T-Mobile and therefore doesn't meet your needs are valid complaints to why the N1 is a poor choice, saying it's a poor choice for this reason is just silly.

I get that and those points make sense. I just don't think that limiting their mobile phone's OS is going to result in more business gmail customers. In my opinion, all that will result from limiting android in this regard is Google/HTC losing sales to the iphone and blackberry.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. Google runs a business in direct competition with Exchange. It's business mail service is one of its pay services which it's actively trying to sell. Bundling in a built-in client for Exchange that is better than their GMail client isn't going to be in their best interest.

If you don't understand then you're off in la-la land as it truly doesn't matter whether or not Google runs a business in direct competition. Microsoft develops their Office suite and other applications on the Mac platform which runs in direct competition of their Windows platform. Why? Because it's in their best interest, they understand that you don't tell someone you can't buy the cookies without buying the milk.

Saying that the N1 is somehow fatally flawed for missing an application that's not only easily available on the market, but also works better than any other Exchange sync app on any phone I've used is what I don't understand.

No one is saying it's FATALLY flawed but you're going have a hard time selling the MAJORITY of business users on it and no doubt the current sales numbers are showing it. We all understand there is a 3rd party application that provides this functionality but the point is the support should be native and not require your customers to dish out additional money for something that should be standard. This is like buying a $530 plane ticket and then realizing you have to pay an additional $20 to check your bag. More power to the makers of "Touchdown" they saw an area where Google completely dropped the ball and they capitalized on it -- it doesn't discount the fact that Google failed to deliver on what is considered basic functionality amongst smartphones.

Complaining about the 3G coverage dropping, or that it's on T-Mobile and therefore doesn't meet your needs are valid complaints to why the N1 is a poor choice, saying it's a poor choice for this reason is just silly.

Really?!?!? I see this the complete opposite. I don't blame the phone for coverage or provider issues -- there are always other providers. Instead, I believe we have every right to question why BASIC functionality is not available on something they want to call a "superphone" and name the "Nexus" (look up the definition if you don't know the true meaning).

Upvote 0
If you don't understand then you're off in la-la land as it truly doesn't matter whether or not Google runs a business in direct competition. Microsoft develops their Office suite and other applications on the Mac platform which runs in direct competition of their Windows platform. Why? Because it's in their best interest, they understand that you don't tell someone you can't buy the cookies without buying the milk.

No one is saying it's FATALLY flawed but you're going have a hard time selling the MAJORITY of business users on it and no doubt the current sales numbers are showing it. We all understand there is a 3rd party application that provides this functionality but the point is the support should be native and not require your customers to dish out additional money for something that should be standard. This is like buying a $530 plane ticket and then realizing you have to pay an additional $20 to check your bag. More power to the makers of "Touchdown" they saw an area where Google completely dropped the ball and they capitalized on it -- it doesn't discount the fact that Google failed to deliver on what is considered basic functionality amongst smartphones.

Really?!?!? I see this the complete opposite. I don't blame the phone for coverage or provider issues -- there are always other providers. Instead, I believe we have every right to question why BASIC functionality is not available on something they want to call a "superphone" and name the "Nexus" (look up the definition if you don't know the true meaning).

Completely agree

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones