• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris to v2.x, when?

Thank you thank you thank you for this suggestion. That 50% without a signal was driving me crazy! After using the airplane mode while I charged last night, my phone has had 0% without a signal all day so far. I still have less bars since I updated to 2.1, however, but as long as I have a signal that's doesn't bother me so much. Strange how doing something so seemingly unrelated can turn out to be the fix.

Great! I'm glad it worked for you.

Upvote 0
I have a hunch that time connected to WiFi counts as "time without a signal" because Mobile Network is technically off, but on standby to reconnect when WiFi drops.

Haven't tested it though. At any rate, I haven't noticed my battery usage be better or worse on 2.1, so I haven't really bothered.

I have been using Google Navigation a LOT, and it's hooked up to my car charger, and I can say on a 25 minute drive the charger actually charged 20% of the battery despite having Navigation active the entire drive. Pretty impressive.

Upvote 0
Hmm.. I tried these procedures to try to get it go silent, and I couldn't. That is kind of a an odd procedure though, talking on the phone, while trying to connect to a wifi network? Doesn't seem like that often of an activity...

I have posted here and on another area of the site with the same issue; I was able to recreate this Silent phone call-My wifi was running, I sent myself a voicemail; as with many calls, I started to call back when the other person was leaving the call, that's when it happened....Silent dial, silent phone indicated I was dialing and in conversation but nothing...Today I did it again but after reformatting my sd and just putting the PB00IMG on and starting the phone process of reboot. This time,,,I had a lag with the silent thing...looked like it was dialing, silent phone..when I hung up and redialed, it went through, I did not have to turn phone off and on...I think it may have something to do with the phones ability to process all those applications we have downloaded at once with the new version. The old version handled the 1.5 apps just fine, but I think the 2.1 apps in combination with the 2.1 OS all running is causing the problem; any other thoughts-anyone-Experts?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why we have to keep entering our gmail passwords when we restart our phones? I just took my phone out of airplane mode and I was forced to enter my passwords again also.

I went to Menu>Settings>Accounts & sync:>Gmail and Goggle and clicked on remove account-it DID NOT remove my contacts; I think that is gmail contacts only, I still have all my contacts...back them up just in case. Put a stop to that annoying gmail triangle thing every 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why we have to keep entering our gmail passwords when we restart our phones? I just took my phone out of airplane mode and I was forced to enter my passwords again also.

I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet it is related to the "Copyrighted Apps in the Market" issue. Since it's not an official OS, it may not have the correct "signature" for GMail/Google to recognize it as an authorized login

Just a guess based on what little I know about network security

Upvote 0
Thank you thank you thank you for this suggestion. That 50% without a signal was driving me crazy! After using the airplane mode while I charged last night, my phone has had 0% without a signal all day so far. I still have less bars since I updated to 2.1, however, but as long as I have a signal that's doesn't bother me so much. Strange how doing something so seemingly unrelated can turn out to be the fix.

Ditto for me on this suggestion by OftheDamned. It worked after only charging for 30 mins on Airport Mode. Big difference in battery drain issues. Must've been related to extra juice trying to find a cell connection like OftheDamned suspects. I agree that the fix seems really odd, but whatever works. Now I don't want to restart my phone at all since it's working so efficiently without too many bugs in 2.1.

I think the Battery Use setting app is probably more for OS developers and HTC/Verizon folks to use as a monitoring tool. I can't imagine the casual Eris user bothering or needing to check this as much as us OCD Eris users. You can't really do anything with the info (other than find and fix bugs!)

BTW--Gmail app seems to have lost push. No big deal though.

Upvote 0
Ditto for me on this suggestion by OftheDamned. It worked after only charging for 30 mins on Airport Mode. Big difference in battery drain issues. Must've been related to extra juice trying to find a cell connection like OftheDamned suspects. I agree that the fix seems really odd, but whatever works. Now I don't want to restart my phone at all since it's working so efficiently without too many bugs in 2.1.

I think the Battery Use setting app is probably more for OS developers and HTC/Verizon folks to use as a monitoring tool. I can't imagine the casual Eris user bothering or needing to check this as much as us OCD Eris users. You can't really do anything with the info (other than find and fix bugs!)

BTW--Gmail app seems to have lost push. No big deal though.

Really? Mine is still working the same as it always has. Just received an email while typing this.

Upvote 0
Really? Mine is still working the same as it always has. Just received an email while typing this.

It was working fine till today. I need to hit refresh to get emails. Seems other posters have had the problem on and off. It's set for auto-sync, so not sure what the deal is. I use Gmail mostly for non-work email anyway so it's not critical. Thanks again for that Aiport Mode tip. I wonder if it has to be done with every restart to keep the issue at bay? Right now, the phone is working great!

Upvote 0
Gmail app seems to have lost push. No big deal though.

Under the Running services menu, do you have a process called "GTalkService" (com.google.process.gapps)? I believe that's actually the push receiver service. I killed it once (because I thought it was the "Talk" application running in the background), and then my Gmail push seemed to stop. After rebooting the phone, it was back and so was Gmail push.

Reactions: BoulderAndroidFan
Upvote 0
It was working fine till today. I need to hit refresh to get emails. Seems other posters have had the problem on and off. It's set for auto-sync, so not sure what the deal is. I use Gmail mostly for non-work email anyway so it's not critical. Thanks again for that Aiport Mode tip. I wonder if it has to be done with every restart to keep the issue at bay? Right now, the phone is working great!

You are most welcome. :) I'm just glad it is working for people. Only time will tell as to how often it needs to be done. I have had my Eris since the beginning of December and I have restarted it no more than 10 times. That includes the restarts from the 2.1 install.

As far as the gmail sync goes, you may want to try turning sync off and on again. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Under the Running services menu, do you have a process called "GTalkService" (com.google.process.gapps)? I believe that's actually the push receiver service. I killed it once (because I thought it was the "Talk" application running in the background), and then my Gmail push seemed to stop. After rebooting the phone, it was back and so was Gmail push.

same thing here. just make sure this process is running and everything should be good to go.

Upvote 0
I don't remember if this was the case for 1.5, but with 2.1, my screen lights up when I hit the volume buttons. Was that always the case? I liked it when it was just the End key.
mine doesn't light up with volume but do you have lockbot installed? I remember there is an option in lockbot to have that function happen so maybe you have that enabled.

Upvote 0
same thing here. just make sure this process is running and everything should be good to go.

That's it. I hit that thinking that it was for Google Voice or some sort of Gmail Chat app or something. Didn't realize I was killing push. I'm going to risk a reboot (now that I have the phone running just like I like it and get push back up and running.

Upvote 0
Bummer. Restarting gave me the dreaded time without a signal to 50% again. I'm back in airplane mode and charging hoping that will clear it up again. At least push seems to be back up and running...thanks to thenestor's personal experience with that issue. Moral of the story: Don't kill apps--even manually with built-in tools!

I've been saying that for a while. LOL

It sucks that the signal issue came back. At least there is a temp fix for it now I guess.

Upvote 0
My signal strength is fluctuating quite a bit with me just sitting at my table right now. Saw it dip as low as -75 dBm and went as high as -95dBm. It's at -84 right now, but I' expect that to change when I move the phone from one end of the table, to the next, a difference of two feet, maybe.

I don't really know how to analyze these numbers. I only have one bar right now, and that doesn't seem to be fluctuating.

Upvote 0
mine doesn't light up with volume but do you have lockbot installed? I remember there is an option in lockbot to have that function happen so maybe you have that enabled.

I do. Or did. I just uninstalled LockBotPro and now the volume button doesn't activate the screen. But before uninstalling I did look around in the config but did not find anything about the volume button. Thanks.

Upvote 0
My signal strength is fluctuating quite a bit with me just sitting at my table right now. Saw it dip as low as -75 dBm and went as high as -95dBm. It's at -84 right now, but I' expect that to change when I move the phone from one end of the table, to the next, a difference of two feet, maybe.

I don't really know how to analyze these numbers. I only have one bar right now, and that doesn't seem to be fluctuating.
I have the same questions. What is a good signal dBm number? I walk around and it goes from -87 to -99 and these are in areas that I know I have a good signal and can talk fine on the phone but the signal bars NEVER go above 2 bars and is usually at 1 bar only. Is this just a disconnect between actual signal and bar display or is -87 dBm actually a weak signal?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones