• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris to v2.x, when?

AF remains a great experience regardless...other than the overly redundant comments about the same thing. I wonder if some people know you can type in your query in the "new thread" box and look and see if its been addressed already. I do this all the time and generally find that the issue I have in mind has been discussed somewhere in these forums.

Great tip. I hope that it will help someone.

Upvote 0
AF remains a great experience regardless...other than the overly redundant comments about the same thing. I wonder if some people know you can type in your query in the "new thread" box and look and see if its been addressed already. I do this all the time and generally find that the issue I have in mind has been discussed somewhere in these forums.

Great tip. I hope that it will help someone.

Upvote 0
I have a question for you. Today is my 30th day and I can return my Eris and wait for the incredible. I have a magic jack that I can use to get my calls.
I'm not too sure how this is going to work. I paid 179.00 for the phone, got a 100 gift card. Will I have to pay 200 and get another gift card or 100?

Do you think it's worth it?
Oh, BTW I have the 3rd leek of V2.1
-Tony

Never mind, I just got off the phone with someone at Verizon, they told me that the Incredible is 300.00 minus your 100 rebate, so you will be paying 200 and no rebate. A technician told me that It could be possible to go back to the original ROM if you have it, but he has never seen it done.

Also if you have insurance you can call and get a replacement for 50.00.

Upvote 0
I did that
I am back to 1.5
I did get my replacement phone to day, and now I am not sure if I should waits for the OTA update to the 2.1 or reload the leaked version or???
I was having problem with calls and had to reboot it at least once a day.

One think for sure if we do not get the OTA by the end of April I am gone do something.

How did you do that? Are you rooted?

Upvote 0
I have a question for you. Today is my 30th day and I can return my Eris and wait for the incredible. I have a magic jack that I can use to get my calls.
I'm not too sure how this is going to work. I paid 179.00 for the phone, got a 100 gift card. Will I have to pay 200 and get another gift card or 100?

Do you think it's worth it?
Oh, BTW I have the 3rd leek of V2.1
-Tony

Never mind, I just got off the phone with someone at Verizon, they told me that the Incredible is 300.00 minus your 100 rebate, so you will be paying 200 and no rebate. A technician told me that It could be possible to go back to the original ROM if you have it, but he has never seen it done.

Also if you have insurance you can call and get a replacement for 50.00.

Unless something major happened and nobody bothered to post it, there is no way to roll back to 1.5 from 2.1 at this time.

He had to get a replacement phone.

Upvote 0
I get irritated when people post their "breaking news" emails on here thinking it answers questions, but they all say the same thing. Then I think VZW has to be getting equally pissed off and just might work harder on this thing and get it out. I dunno if any other phone section has this many people emailing them about this.

Remember a few months ago there was a petition from, I believe, XDA devs that we all signed for the release of the source code for the Eris because HTC said they wouldn't? What happened after that? We got it a few weeks later.

Should we do something similar?

Not that I care about this anymore, but may be those that do have been going about it in the wrong way.

Upvote 0
I think this Calvin and Hobbes strip summarizes this entire thread:

zZyui.gif

But on a serious note, after reading accounts of how even some Verizon employees have the leak installed on their phone, I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and install it when I have a free moment.

Upvote 0
But on a serious note, after reading accounts of how even some Verizon employees have the leak installed on their phone, I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and install it when I have a free moment.

What I am not sure of, with regard to the reasoning of the leakers since root for 1.5 was achieved, is why?

Why not root your 1.5 so that the 2.1 you install doing the root has more capabilities in addition to having the fail-safe attribute of being able to revert to stock 1.5 if need be?

Upvote 0
What I am not sure of, with regard to the reasoning of the leakers since root for 1.5 was achieved, is why?

Why not root your 1.5 so that the 2.1 you install doing the root has more capabilities in addition to having the fail-safe attribute of being able to revert to stock 1.5 if need be?

I don't know, really. I've been debating with myself over that question for awhile. On the one hand, I don't trust myself to root, because even though I'm tech savvy, I can't help but feel that I'll screw something up and brick my phone. It took me long enough to be able to afford this one (I bought it retail, not with an upgrade).

I know there's just as much risk in installing the leak, but people seem to be running it well enough despite the bugs, and I think I can live with that, since I've dealt with annoying bugs in things I use often before (almost every computer I've owned...).

I also don't want a custom ROM with a different skin. If I was going to root, I'd basically want SenseUI to look exactly the same.

I don't know! Even I can't explain myself! :p

Upvote 0
I don't know, really. I've been debating with myself over that question for awhile. On the one hand, I don't trust myself to root, because even though I'm tech savvy, I can't help but feel that I'll screw something up and brick my phone. It took me long enough to be able to afford this one (I bought it retail, not with an upgrade).

I know there's just as much risk in installing the leak, but people seem to be running it well enough despite the bugs, and I think I can live with that, since I've dealt with annoying bugs in things I use often before (almost every computer I've owned...).

I also don't want a custom ROM with a different skin. If I was going to root, I'd basically want SenseUI to look exactly the same.

I don't know! Even I can't explain myself! :p

That sort of candid attitude, honesty and self-questioning will get you killed around here.

:D Just kidding.. it is indeed quite refreshing to see that.

One thing about root, being a linux user myself on more than one computer and for many years, is that there are very few things one can to do render the unit irretrievably ruined. I've rendered a few near-ruined, though, providing myself with long hours and days of working the OS back to usability after borking something in one or more of the configuration files.

My reasoning for not rooting my 1.5 Eris is simple; I am fine with what the developers did when they rooted and configured its brain.

Upvote 0
Let me share my Verizon experience then..

I went into a Verizon store today. My NFL app wasn't working. It wouldn't recognize me as a Verizon customer. The rep did some troubleshooting. She ended up uninstalling and reinstalled it.
Then, I asked her about the 2.1 update. She asked this other guy about it. He said that the time frame they are given is June.
I then asked about the Incredible. She said they will be getting it in stores the 29th.

Upvote 0
Finally, some accurate news from a Verizon Store rep that we can trust! ;)

LMAO!! Yeah, all she had to do was look at the banner in the window of her store, the website or her order system!! Almost clairvoyant she seems!! :D:D:D:D

Yet another affirmation that they only know what is right in front of their faces and anything else needs to be taken with a grain (or silo) of salt.

Upvote 0

I did go to the person that sold the phone to me. and complain about the problems with the calls and me having to reset
the phone every day (sometimes more then once), and being tired of waiting for the upgrade to fix this problem.
The sales lady offered me a another Eris and I took it.
The phone is a 1.5 ver. and I am little nerves as to ROOT it Or go back to 2.1
I will wait until end of April to do something

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones