• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Error downloading, there is insufficient space on the device

darcwolf

Sep 17, 2011
I just bought a new android yesterday, the samsung infuse. I seem to be having problems with larger programs.

The phone storage has 1.86gb and 1.57gb free, and the sd card has 12.95gb free.

Whenever I try to download a larger app, (Third blade) it tells me I dont have enough space, and I clearly have more than enough.

things Ive tried are turning off the phone, removing the battery and putting it back in.

Running advanced app killer and stopping pretty much everything in the background.

Ive tried going in and clearing cache from running programs.

At this point I have no clue what to do. Anyone run into this and figured out how to fix it?

After spending a few hours researching this I found out a couple things

1. The samsung infuse has a 30mb partition for downloads which causes any apps that are over 30 megs to fail.

2. This only seems to happen if you update your marketplace

I went and uninstalled the newest update for the marketplace and now I can download anything. Give it a shot, hopefully it works for you.

Upvote 0
The phone storage has 1.86gb and 1.57gb free, and the sd card has 12.95gb free.
male2.jpg

male3.jpg

Upvote 0
After days and days of trying various solutions that all failed, I finally found something that works! An app called MarketFix!

How are you going to download and install an app like MarketFix if you don't have enough space to download...?

You've got to create space first. I.e. you will need to uninstall apps. Unused, pre-installed, HUGE, apps (if not to say hated apps...)

Upvote 0
After days and days of trying various solutions that all failed, I finally found something that works! An app called MarketFix!

Actually this did work for me also. I was having trouble with a specific app (Google+) after a Titanium restore on Cyanogenmod. MarketFix did download and install (even though Google+ app refused). After I ran MarketFix, Google+ downloaded and installed like normal!

Upvote 0
Have the same issue. Had it previously too. Plenty of space, but BIG apps (this time - Angry Birds Seasons , an update no less) seem to be a problem.

Have a SGS2ET4G, so the new market/old market didn't help - have no new market update to uninstall.

Last time, I was switching ROMs anyway, so I just re-installed apps fresh, installing the hogs first. Took a while (have way too many apps), but no problems.

This has occured with a a few medium sized apps as well. Clearing the dalvik cache did work on these for me. Of course YMMV.

Hope this helps some, and hope a better fix is on the way.

Upvote 0
Have any of you who have posted recently tried deleting the Market's data?

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All tab > Market > Clear Data.

Clearing the cache alone may not fix it. Clearing the Dalvik cache isn't the same as clearing the Market's data. After I flash a new ROM, or update the phone, I always have to clear data on the Market at least once.

Upvote 0
I finally fixed this issue:
I have LG Optimus V rooted (no mod) with ROM Manager (an app I got from the market) for recovery.
I cleared the data and cache for the Market
I cleared the dalvik cache
I fixed permissions
I rebooted

First I went to
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All tab > Market > Clear Data.

I cleared the cache and the data. THEN I immediately cleared the dalvik cache as follows:

I booted into recovery by first turning off the phone, then holding down the up volume button, power button, and home buttons simultaneously. Using the up/down volume buttons and the camera button, I then selected advanced and then chose to clear the dalvik cache. This took a couple of minutes.

Then I chose the fix permissions option as well, just for good measure. It took awhile, looked all frozen, but after a few minutes it worked. ( I don't think this step is necessary by the way, but I'm including it because that is what I did)

I navigated back to the home screen inside recovery (pressed the back button) and powered off. When I turned the phone back on it took a lot longer to boot by the way (was worried for a second there)

That fixed it! I was finally able to download what I wanted on the Market. (SMS Pro)

Hope this helps someone.

This issue really helped to screw up my communications while I was traveling over the last 2 weeks. I've been looking for a fix the whole time!

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones