• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Error installing lolipop 5.1 (OTA) on Nexus 7

A

Android Question

I'm get an error when I try to install 5.1 (OTA) on my 2012 Nexus 7

I've tried
Wiping cache
Connecting Power
Wifi enabled \ disabled
Seting Date manually & from network.

All failed ..

The log files contain the following :- {

__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for localtime!
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for GMT!

local is [en_GB]
stage is []
reason is [(null)]
can't open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory
...}

System Information:-
FCC:ID MSQME370T
IC 3568A-ME370T
Model Nexus 7
version 5.02
Kernal 3.1.10-g6ff7a51
Wed Dec 10 19:55:59 utc 2014
Build LRX22G

NB: Never been rooted & only has apps from the app store
> 60% free space.

Has been pretty much unusable since 5.02 was put on it - Wiping the cache helps, but doesnt seem to be a permanent fix.
NB: Only takes a second to wipe the cache, notice many reporting it takes ~15 minutes. But only ever takes about a second for me.

Any ideas ?

Upvote 0
I dont have any apps disabled, and I have deleted all but essential play store apps. None of my google apps have been deleted, stopped or disabled.
This is a regular OTA upgrade, prompted by google.
I'm gonna try a Factory reset, and if that doesnt do the trick a Hard reset - probably over Easter; I'll report results back here.

Re Sideloading - Not sure why I'd want to try that, I dont have a problem getting the OTA update or downloading it onto the device, its the install thats failing - Why would sideloading fix this, would downloading the same OTA upgrade and sideloading the install give me different results, its the same install after all. That being said, I'll probably try that if everyting else fails !

Upvote 0
This is a regular OTA upgrade, prompted by google.
I'm gonna try a Factory reset, and if that doesnt do the trick a Hard reset - probably over Easter; I'll report results back here....
I appear to be having a similar problem, with no apps disabled, plenty of free space, etc. and am able to download the update, it just fails to install. I'd say a reset is on the cards for me, too. Sounds like a great way to spend part of Easter Monday!

Upvote 0
Just did a Factory reset, then updated apps from backup, downloaded the OTA update and tried again - still failed, still getting the same error in the logs.
Did the same for a Hard reset, this time downloaded the OTA and updatd before apps had updated - still failed, still get the same error in the logs.
So I gues I'm sideloading. So thats me Gin & T and my tablet sorted for the evening
Report back progress later.
Goodluck Optical, hope the reset work for you.
nb: Followed instructions from here :-
http://www.androidpit.com/forum/566342/factory-reset-your-google-nexus-7-2012
and here :-
http://www.androidpit.com/forum/566343/hard-reset-your-google-nexus-7-2012

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones