• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Experienced rooter having issues

samaruf

Jan 15, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I have spent several hours already and finding no solutions have come here to seek some assistance. I was running Amstel 2.0 for the last several months with very little problems but today I hit a brick wall trying to update my phone to DJ07. I never got the OTA notice to update the phone, so I downloaded the tar file from the link below to get the phone equipped with the latest updates and kernel.
*OFFICIAL* SPH-M900_MR4_DJ07_REL.tar.md5 *** DATA LOCKUP SOMEWHAT FIXED!***

Unfortunately the SW Update tool (old CL14 updater) would crash halfway through the process with an MFC application error and I was left with a somewhat bricked phone. I follow direction to the dot and didn't expect it to be this difficult of a task.

I then uninstalled the upgrade tool and all USB drivers and any file/folder that had "Samsung" in its name and installed the version available on Sprint's website. It is called upgrade_lite and has a version 1.0.025. I replaced the stock md5 file with noob's but the tool could not open the file. Found out because noob's file doesn't have md5 extension, the update tool did not recognize it. I renamed it and gave it the md5 extension, but to no avail. The tool wouldn't open it all. Finding no other solution, I put back the stock md5 file in the "Binary" folder and ran the tool again. This time the flashing went smoothly and now my Moment has the DJ07 update with the following parameters:
Baseband - S:M900.8.0S.DJ07
Kernel - 2.6.29
Build - ECLAIR.DJ07

I would like to know how to root this phone that has the stock DJ07 and put my custom ROM in place. Apparently update tool 1.0.025 won't let me do it and CL14 updater keeps crashing with noob's rooted DJ07.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones