• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[FALSE. HTC has made 2.2 Avail NOW! 8-2-2010] EVO 4G Froyo 2.2 Update Suspended Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the "Hero" all over again..went and got a Hero week before it was actually realeased then same with the Evo and it's DEJA VU...Noooooooo..the runaround for dates for an update lol..C'mon SPRINT!! oh well life goes on folks

Sounds like HTC made the call on this one. After that press release, I'm sure Sprint really, really wanted to get Froyo out the door.

Upvote 0
I just talked to sprint support. Here's what thy had to say. They said it is delayed because new features are being added. Don't take this as fact. Sprint support has a reputation for being wrong

Attachments

• evo 10.JPG
    evo 10.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
I would not worry about this taking that much time. The 2.2 RC is very solid. The problems people were having were having aren't unusual for an OS upgrade. Pretty much everything could be cleared up with a factory reset.

I'm thinking the delay is because so many people installed the leaked version, and they are trying to figure out how to roll out two different updates without damaging phones left and right.

Upvote 0
So do we have an official link? Sprint support doesn't know their ass's from a hooker's gape ( wow gape was in the FroYo dictionary, but froyo wasn't. )

Anyway, what Sprint posted about FroYo was wrong. Had a release date on July 30. Wrong. So, until I see an official link, I am not convinced. A lot of the people that "confirmed" had less than 10 posts. Yes, there are other vets that talked to support, but I don't believe Sprint tech support as far as I can throw up on them.

Upvote 0
I hope me asking where you heard it from did not cone across as rude. That was not my intention of anyone thought that. I just wanted to know so I could go check it out. I have not seen that rumor posted anywhere else. Just saying. Guess we will all just have to wait and see. I know for one I will be disappointed but life will go on.

Upvote 0
Everyone can thank us Beta testers for a cleaner install of Froyo. Otherwise people would have been cursing left and right if they pushed this update out. Not that it isn't stable once you correct everything, but that is just it. It took a lot of us to hard reset our device to get everything working correctly after the update. There was alot of things I guess that might have been incompatible by just upgrading the OS and not clearing everything out.

That is not good for an update that is just suppose to work without a hard reset.

So, for anyone who does not care about hard resetting their device, and not everyone will need to, the leaked 2.2 has worked pretty flawlessly for me over the past few days after the hard reset to bring my camera back.

Reactions: kast107
Upvote 0
Well reguardless...I am waiting till tomorrow, if its not out then...time to install the "unofficial" 2.2 update.

There's pretty much no reason not to install the Official But Not Really 2.2. If you're rooted, just run Titanium Bakcup to back your stuff up and do a reset and have at the stock rooted ROM. Toss in netarchy's FPS fix kernel and you're solid! I've had no issues at all with it with moderate to heavy usage.

Upvote 0
makes me even more glad that i "bit the bullet" and got the beta instead of waiting
and really really glad i got my one issue fixed already without a factory reset and waiting i was planing on waiting for the offical release to see if that would fix my one main problem but its all good now

this does kind of suck though that it had enough problems that HTC had to pull it for now

Upvote 0
Sounds like HTC made the call on this one. After that press release, I'm sure Sprint really, really wanted to get Froyo out the door.

They probably looked at us "Beta Testers" replicated user errors and said.... hmmm, some of these things needs to be fixed.

Its probably better for everyone that HTC takes their time to make sure that the Software is put out there without too many bugs. Were there many people with critical defects?

Luckily I have 2.2, and its working well :p ... knock on wood.

Upvote 0
I interrogated a second sprint rep and he also said it has been delayed. Looks like this is true:(

Haha I like how you asked "WHO IS YOUR SOURCE?"

You should have added "I am holding a virtual gun to your head. SO SPILL THE BEANS!"

As much as I also distrust Sprint CSRs, seeing multiple CSRs repeat the same line means they've been briefing this morning to convey such information.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones