• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Faster Boot?

The new xtrROM 5.0 is now odexed. As I understand things, that should make it boot faster. It would be worth a try, to see if it helps.

Unfortunately, I have looked at all of the major, well-maintained Sense-based ROMs (xtrSENSE, xtrRCMix, Evil Eris 5, PlainJane), and they all say that they are de-odexed. If you can live without Sense, you could try installing xtrROM 5 and see if it does boot faster and if you can live with an alternate launcher.

Upvote 0
Download Kaos' 2.2 ROM, I swear it boots in 10 seconds or less. Of course I never added many apps to it because it was on a test phone so that may throw it for a loop. CELB 4.1 boots in 20 or so seconds on my phone with 80+ apps and 2 month worth of cache and data (never wipe between ROM flashes unless a new kernel is contained), not great, but plenty quick considering I usually go 150+ hours between reboots.

Upvote 0
The new xtrROM 5.0 is now odexed. As I understand things, that should make it boot faster. It would be worth a try, to see if it helps.

Never mind - more research shows that the more rapid boot would be seen only on the first boot, as Dalvik cache is built. Once a de-odexed ROM like xtrSENSE has been booted once it will boot about the same as if it were odexed.

I agree with others, though - the only time that I ever rebooted xtrSENSE was when I was flashing it. If I ever needed it quiet I would just use Airplane mode to turn off the radios and put the phone in silent mode.

Upvote 0
Download Kaos' 2.2 ROM, I swear it boots in 10 seconds or less. Of course I never added many apps to it because it was on a test phone so that may throw it for a loop. CELB 4.1 boots in 20 or so seconds on my phone with 80+ apps and 2 month worth of cache and data (never wipe between ROM flashes unless a new kernel is contained), not great, but plenty quick considering I usually go 150+ hours between reboots.

Right now I'm using xtrRom 5 and it's an alright boot. Slow, but nothing special. How do I know which kernel I'm using and which one I will be putting on if I flash a new rom?

Upvote 0
Right now I'm using xtrRom 5 and it's an alright boot. Slow, but nothing special. How do I know which kernel I'm using and which one I will be putting on if I flash a new rom?

xtrROM uses Zanfur's kernel, Kaos uses - I believe - Conap's CFS kernel. You can check the kernel in settings->about phone - it's in different places, but it should say somewhere in a menu under About phone the kernel version, if you are really curious about which kernel is running.

Upvote 0
How crucial is it to wipe before flashing between kernels?

Flashing between kernels only? You should wipe Dalvik. Flashing a new ROM? Then you should data wipe for sure.

So, to clarify further, if you are running xtrROM and wish to try flashing Conap's CFS V9 while continuing to run xtrROM, you should wipe Dalvik. (I don't recommend this, but trying won't hurt if you Nandroid backup first.)

If you are running xtrROM and want to try running Kaos Froyo, which has a different kernel from xtrROM, you should wipe data/factory reset. You can also wipe Dalvik - I always do.

Upvote 0
Flashing between kernels only? You should wipe Dalvik. Flashing a new ROM? Then you should data wipe for sure.

So, to clarify further, if you are running xtrROM and wish to try flashing Conap's CFS V9 while continuing to run xtrROM, you should wipe Dalvik. (I don't recommend this, but trying won't hurt if you Nandroid backup first.)

If you are running xtrROM and want to try running Kaos Froyo, which has a different kernel from xtrROM, you should wipe data/factory reset. You can also wipe Dalvik - I always do.

Much appreciated. Thanks for all the help :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones