• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root For those of you that bought GTA 3

Raptor5150

Android Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2011
i have no clue whats going on but no matter what i do.. i bought gta 3 awhile ago and faintly remember 1.0 running awesome on the triumph but 1.3 freezes my phone completely as in i cant do anything but a battery pull.. ive turned down all the settings ran the game multiple times and redownloaded it.. i feel like i just wasted 5$

does anyone else have this problem? its the same on cm7 and cm9 sigh.. and i finally wanted to finish the game too.

Could try using Chainfire 3D App from the Market. I have found it works wonders for gaming on the Triumph. I was actually thinking about just posting about it in the general discussion area as I have not heard much about using the App lately on these forums. Way back in the day Isaak had recommended Chainfire with the NVIDIA plug-in for allowing more games to run on MIUI because of the Roms HD limitations. I have been using it since then regardless of what Rom I am using and it has made many games playable that had been otherwise unplayable on the Triumph.

Plug-in can be found on this thread,

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/1364-chainfire-3d-and-all-the-plugins-for-thd-games/

Purchased the game for my Tablet so am about to give it a go on my Triumph and let you know.

Game is playing very smooth but for some reason I am not getting Audio after the boot screen.

Upvote 0
Could try using Chainfire 3D App from the Market. I have found it works wonders for gaming on the Triumph. I was actually thinking about just posting about it in the general discussion area as I have not heard much about using the App lately on these forums. Way back in the day Isaak had recommended Chainfire with the NVIDIA plug-in for allowing more games to run on MIUI because of the Roms HD limitations. I have been using it since then regardless of what Rom I am using and it has made many games playable that had been otherwise unplayable on the Triumph.

Plug-in can be found on this thread,

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/1364-chainfire-3d-and-all-the-plugins-for-thd-games/

Purchased the game for my Tablet so am about to give it a go on my Triumph and let you know.

Game is playing very smooth but for some reason I am not getting Audio after the boot screen.

what rom are you running and what plugin are you using? i just tried all 3 plugins and the game wouldnt start up on cm9.. its kind of annoying that the 1.0 version would work great but then 1.3 kills it..

just after a few minutes of gameplay it locks up

edit: so i tried disabling some memory settings on chainfire it seems to have fixed the lockup issue but when i go back to my homescreen i cant pick any apps and my launcher is gone.. only thing i can get to is settings how do i fix this without restoring?

Upvote 0
Just updated to 1.3 and I could play for a good 30 minutes (I stopped playing after that). I remember I had issues with v1.1 locking up my phone within 30 seconds after I continued past the title screen. I never really figured out a way to fix it but waited for an update and that fixed it for me. Try contacting the developer

Upvote 0
Wait, you guys actually got GTAIII to run? It wouldn't work at all when I tried it, something it no being a Tegra device. Then I had to fight with both Rockstar and Android Market because both claimed that the other one is responsible for refunds.

did you somehow download the wrong one? There are like 3 or 4 different versions for different devices...

Upvote 0
im pretty sure gta 3 was using too much virtual memory on my phone or something cause once enabled reduce texture quality i could get through the whole first mission.. its odd and i have to set chainfire on quallcom the other 2 dont start the game at all..

guess i spoke too soon.. just had another lock up.. im starting to think the gpu in my phone is messed up if you guys can play for a full 30 minutes -.-

Upvote 0
Sorry,

CM7
Was over-clocked at 1.3 using Interactive Governor.
Like above I also use a memory manager app but in my case its Auto-killer and is set to keep about 90-115mb of free Ram.
Chainfire settings,
Reduce Texture quality
Disable RGBA emu
Hide CF3D ID
NVIDIA plugin

I honestly only played for about 20 minutes after fixing my audio issue and then uninstalled as I have been playing on my Tablet. Had to purchase a new SD card and re-download the extra packages and audio worked fine. Been having SDcard issues lately (Not always using Windows safely remove option caught up to me) so it was overdue. Also just remembered that I purchased the Pro version of Chainfire a few month ago so if you are using the free version not all the options I used may be available. Have to spend some time at the laundry mat later so to kill time I will try installing again using the free version of Chainfire and without my modified build.prop settings and see how it goes. Another thing to try would be reducing the in game quality settings and like mentioned above try a memory management app like Auto-killer or Ram Manager so the phone is running less processes in the background. I am not very familiar with Ram Manager but Auto-killer also has a setting to increase the SDcard cache size witch can also potentially help speed things up. Now that I'm thinking about it, considering I had issues from an SDcard that had been corrupted the quality of the SDcard being used could also be a factor.

Upvote 0
There are? Oh wow I feel like a dumbass...

Yea. But actually looking at them there may only be one other english one and the rest at least have the description in different languages... I don't think that is a problem though since the MT only says it's compatible for like one of them so idk.

Upvote 0
Yea. But actually looking at them there may only be one other english one and the rest at least have the description in different languages... I don't think that is a problem though since the MT only says it's compatible for like one of them so idk.

im about ready to ask for a replacement and just see if that phone has the same issue no matter what i do the game will play for awhile but then just studder really bad and make me do a battery pull because i cant force close or anything i dont think its my sd card cause that reads and writes just fine..

but my phone has been getting hot and it may be overheating (is that possible and does it normally lockup to prevent damage?) so ill leave it near my window over night let it get real cold then ill turn it on and try to play a mission..

if it works for other people and not me somthing isnt right with my hardware..

Upvote 0
I've run GTA III a few times. It never had a problem.
Games that require similar graphic capability (like FrontLine Commander) work fine, so long as you DO NOT PUT THEM ON YOUR SD CARD. (like app2sd or the like). At least that's how it worked for me.
I updated Plants vs. Zombies recently and had similar issues. When I put the game entirely on the phone memory it worked fine. I feel silly now... -.-
Before asked, my microSD is 16GB class 6. It isn't the problem,I don't think. Most of my other, less graphically intensive apps run on it fine. I think (I'm not sure) that it has to do with how fast the Triumph can read/write to the internal memory rather than the microSD when the app is installed there instead. Again, I don't know, so I can't be sure

Upvote 0
I've run GTA III a few times. It never had a problem.
Games that require similar graphic capability (like FrontLine Commander) work fine, so long as you DO NOT PUT THEM ON YOUR SD CARD. (like app2sd or the like). At least that's how it worked for me.
I updated Plants vs. Zombies recently and had similar issues. When I put the game entirely on the phone memory it worked fine. I feel silly now... -.-
Before asked, my microSD is 16GB class 6. It isn't the problem,I don't think. Most of my other, less graphically intensive apps run on it fine. I think (I'm not sure) that it has to do with how fast the Triumph can read/write to the internal memory rather than the microSD when the app is installed there instead. Again, I don't know, so I can't be sure

yeah but im trying to find a way to move gta 3's game files to internal memory i cleared enough space i just dont know where to put the 700 meg folder.. any ideas?

Upvote 0
ok so my sd card arrived today.. i got an 8gig for the price of a 2 at 99 cents. :D go me!

downloaded gta 3 ran the game locked up on me first 4 minutes.. sigh.. guess im getting a replacement but i will try Froyocream before i call.. this sucks.. :(

Typical... installed Froyocream and it works fine.. It baffles me why it would lock up on 1.3 on cm9 but works ok on 1.0 on FC..

Upvote 0
I know this thread is somewhat old, but I was recently playing around with this game, and its strange, the only thing I can think of is maybe the touchscreen driver fix that I believe cm7 and cm9 are both running that are actually having issues

Cause for me personally the gta3 v1.2 ran fine but a lil laggy on the stock froyo

Then I went to cm7 reloaded with the gta3 v1.2, and it seemed to run better but would actually freeze up needing a battery pull to reset

Now I've got the v1.3 installed which has alot more video settings but no matter what settings I choose or if I overclock or not I can't even get off the bridge in the beginning without it freezeing and needing to pull the battery

Found my old v1.2 install from my one that actually worked on froyo, and installed it and it gets to the first save house area and freezes up the same, battery pull needed

I've run chainfire 3d, a ram manager, overclocked, not overclocked, low settings, high
settings, installed onto SD card, installed on the phone

That's y I keep coming back around to possibly the touchscreen driver fixes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones