• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Freeze/Stop Application Apps?

Anyone kno of a free app that can freeze an app, or prevent it from even starting, it kinda wants to always auto start and there is no setting to stop it. Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by "auto start"?. Are you just seeing it under Settings/Manage Applications/Running? Android constantly caches apps in memory, but they are not using significant amounts of CPU or battery, unless you keep killing them and forcing them to reload.

Upvote 0
Back when I used a task killer, the one I used had a 1x1 widget that showed the number of open apps. When you pressed the widget, it would kill all of the tasks that you hasn't whitelisted. More often than not, the number would begin to immediately climb, indicating that apps were starting themselves again. Whether they were cached or running, I couldn't say, but they were definitely open.

Upvote 0
I use GO sms and even though i have auto retrieve and notifications off it still retrieves the message in my default messaging app. I dont receive a notification or anything, but shouldnt the program not be running if its closed and not retrieving messages? Well the messaging app is not suppose to retrieve them but it does anyway, sorry for any confusion.

Upvote 0
Anyone kno of a free app that can freeze an app, or prevent it from even starting, it kinda wants to always auto start and there is no setting to stop it. Thanks in advance.

There are two versions of the popular "Android Task Manager". I have had the pleasure of having both. With my first one, it was basic, now my new one allows me to do what you are talking about.

For a while I was having AmazonMP3, ScannerRadio, Last.fm, and a few other apps automatically starting. It wasn't like they were taking up room or anything, but it was annoying to see their faces. So with my newest version of Android Task Manager, I can auto stop these and it does!

The way to tell the difference is that this newer one has a clear Android at the top of the notification area instead of the old one. All you have to do is open the app and select "Autokill app" and it will.

Upvote 0
I believe if you freeze your stock messenger app you wont be able to receive MMS messages. Most of the text messaging apps seem to run a few things through the stock messaging app since unless you root you can't delete it.

Why build a bulky app when you can just run it through other apps that are normally present on the phone.

Please don't go deleting any random app you see deem unused, or you might find your phone missing some functionality.

Upvote 0
I believe if you freeze your stock messenger app you wont be able to receive MMS messages.

That's not the case. I just tested it using handcent, with the stock messaging app frozen (even re-booted to be extra sure). I got the test text just like I normally would have, and was able to reply just like usual.

I was pretty sure it wouldn't need the stock app, as I've used a ROM that has no stock SMS app included, and it ran fine.

Upvote 0
In your place I would uninstall an app I don't trust, and can't control, and don't even use in the first place!
I dont have root explorer, im using a custom ROM, and the messaging app is the one that was already on there, i can control GOsms but the default one is the one i cant control, and from what i kno i cant remove it unless i have root explorer, auto retrieve is off therefore it shouldnt be retrieving messages and being open in the background, doesnt that make sense? I thought that was the whole purpose of auto retrieve.

Upvote 0
That's not the case. I just tested it using handcent, with the stock messaging app frozen (even re-booted to be extra sure). I got the test text just like I normally would have, and was able to reply just like usual.

I was pretty sure it wouldn't need the stock app, as I've used a ROM that has no stock SMS app included, and it ran fine.

I should have clarified. By MMS I'm referring to the multimedia message service (pictures, videos, sound clips). Last time I checked GOsms only covered the SMS side of things, short message service (texts).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9755948

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones