• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo RUU update available

Yes, I believe so. I have the Telus Desire, unlocked on the Rogers network, and I did the update to FroYo version 2.2 without issue. I also have the S-LCD version and the posted version includes drivers for both display types. You do need to convert the 8gig memory card into a "goldcard" to install this and all other updates, but once done, it's a goldcard for life, so have at it.
:D

great. good to hear that. thanks alot dude.
I unlocked it and use it on the FIDO network(well, it's Rogers network actually, same thing). by the way, after I update this 2.2. will I get more space? cause I got denied to install the app. (said not enough space)

Upvote 0
Hello guys.
Does this update work on every type of Desire?
I am currently using the Desire from Telus Canada, which is the SLCD one.

Can I follow the instruction to upgrade to 2.2?

Thanks

Yes it does my Desire is a telus and I am using it on AT&T in the USA, also make a back up or two Gold cards just incase something happens to the one in the phone, I have three gold cards all together. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!!!;)

Upvote 0
Hey all, just got my HTC Desire last week. First android phone for me.

Will this Rom work on the US Cellular branded CDMA Desire?
I've noticed most of you are in Europe and have GSM phones.

Thanks in advance!

I do not think so because the radio firmware on the Ruu would be for the GSM phone and would probably BRICK a CDMA phone!!!! SORRY:thinking:

Upvote 0
great. good to hear that. thanks alot dude.
I unlocked it and use it on the FIDO network(well, it's Rogers network actually, same thing). by the way, after I update this 2.2. will I get more space? cause I got denied to install the app. (said not enough space)
I'm not sure exactly what the space requirements are for 2.1 and 2.2, but since 2.2 supports A2SD (apps to sd card), then any of your apps that have A2SD built-in can be moved to the memory card, which will free up some memory in the phone. Currently not too many apps support this feature, but out of the 5 main apps I use regularly, 2 of them support it (Google Sky Maps and C:GEO). This feature doesn't move the entire app, but it moves a good portion of it, and in the case of C:GEO all of the user data, GPX file, and most of the program is on the memory card - about 3mb or so freed up. So it definitely helps.

Once you have 2.2 installed, go into Settings, Applications, Manage applications, tap All, and then scroll through the list of programs to find the apps you've downloaded and then tap on them one at a time to check them. If they can be moved to the card, the button will be white (it's greyed out when it can't be moved), and you just tap on the button, and in a few seconds it will change to "Move to phone".
Cool.

Upvote 0
hey i really would appreciate some help in my situation. i have successfully created the gold card but i am not sure what my next step is. i have the telus branded desire that is unlocked. i had the desire look for ota update from the settings menu but it still doesn't find an update. below are my software information.

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
baseband version: 32.41.00.32U_4.08.00.09
Kernal version: 2.6.29-e5576724 htc-kernal@and18-2 #1
Build number: 1.29.661.1 CL198499 release-keys
software number: 1.29.661.1
browser version: webkit 3.1

i would really like to know my next step and which RUU to use to do the initial debranding

Upvote 0
Hopefully the CDMA version will have a different model number, which will prevent the RUU from flashing. But yes, the GSM radio in this ROM would brick a CDMA Desire.

Thanks for the reply! So does any one know where I can find a RUU for a CDMA version.

Also, a total noob question, but is RUU sort of the same thing as a ROM. The way I understand, ROM is like the shell software sort of like an OS, and thats whet this RUU does as well, right?

Upvote 0
hey i really would appreciate some help in my situation. i have successfully created the gold card but i am not sure what my next step is. i have the telus branded desire that is unlocked. i had the desire look for ota update from the settings menu but it still doesn't find an update. below are my software information.

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
baseband version: 32.41.00.32U_4.08.00.09
Kernal version: 2.6.29-e5576724 htc-kernal@and18-2 #1
Build number: 1.29.661.1 CL198499 release-keys
software number: 1.29.661.1
browser version: webkit 3.1

i would really like to know my next step and which RUU to use to do the initial debranding

No OTA will show up until you Debrand to stock firmware you need to go to the very first post and follow word for word what to do and once you get that Ruu on the phone then you will get OTA's when they are released. Right now you still have telus firmware on the phone so it is looking for OTA's from Telus and not from HTC!!! Once I got the telus stuff off of my phone and stock firmware on it, I received a OTA from HTC!!

Hope this help's and GOOD LUCK!!!!:D

Upvote 0
No OTA will show up until you Debrand to stock firmware you need to go to the very first post and follow word for word what to do and once you get that Ruu on the phone then you will get OTA's when they are released. Right now you still have telus firmware on the phone so it is looking for OTA's from Telus and not from HTC!!! Once I got the telus stuff off of my phone and stock firmware on it, I received a OTA from HTC!!

Hope this help's and GOOD LUCK!!!!:D
thanks i just successfully updated to the release 140022 RUU on the first link of the first post. it seems fine but when i try to do ota update after that, it still says that there are no updates. why is that?

Upvote 0
thanks i just successfully updated to the release 140022 RUU on the first link of the first post. it seems fine but when i try to do ota update after that, it still says that there are no updates. why is that?

I cannot say why it does not show up, did you go to settings-about phone-system software updates-check now, to do a manual check for software, that is what I did for mine, the latest update for the Desire is

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.10.405.2_R_Radio_32.44.0 0.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_142828_signed.exe

You could always download that one and flash it on the phone.

Upvote 0
thanks. any idea why in the first post it talks about having the latest version of htc sync even though it doesn't seem to matter?

i just tried doing it through fast boot and it is telling me that the phone isn't connected even though it is. any ideas?

Go back a few pages and read the post a few of us had the same problem the post will tell you how to fix it.

Upvote 0
Yes it does my Desire is a telus and I am using it on AT&T in the USA, also make a back up or two Gold cards just incase something happens to the one in the phone, I have three gold cards all together. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!!!;)

Er... how to make a backup? I just made a goldcard then did the upgrade to 2.2.
Did I miss the chance to make the backup?
another question is why you made 3 goldcard?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure exactly what the space requirements are for 2.1 and 2.2, but since 2.2 supports A2SD (apps to sd card), then any of your apps that have A2SD built-in can be moved to the memory card, which will free up some memory in the phone. Currently not too many apps support this feature, but out of the 5 main apps I use regularly, 2 of them support it (Google Sky Maps and C:GEO). This feature doesn't move the entire app, but it moves a good portion of it, and in the case of C:GEO all of the user data, GPX file, and most of the program is on the memory card - about 3mb or so freed up. So it definitely helps.

Once you have 2.2 installed, go into Settings, Applications, Manage applications, tap All, and then scroll through the list of programs to find the apps you've downloaded and then tap on them one at a time to check them. If they can be moved to the card, the button will be white (it's greyed out when it can't be moved), and you just tap on the button, and in a few seconds it will change to "Move to phone".
Cool.

Thanks for the instruction. and what is C:GEO?

Upvote 0
i've heard about this game... sounds like fun... i might download it, thanks
Be warned, I've found it very addictive and now all we do and talk about is geocaching. I would never have bothered with a handheld GPS, but after 2 weeks caching, I just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 62s to use on the trails and save the Desire for logging, general info, and phone calls.
:eek:
The Desire works great for GPS and geocaching, but it eats a full battery in 3-4 hours as the GPS and screen are on almost the entire time. I bought a car charger the second day of geocaching, and then found out that a handheld GPS can last 15+ hours on a pair of AA rechargeables. So I bought the Garmin to save battery and it's even more accurate than the Desire. So I now carry both devices when geocaching.
:)

Upvote 0
Er... how to make a backup? I just made a goldcard then did the upgrade to 2.2.
Did I miss the chance to make the backup?
another question is why you made 3 goldcard?

Each Gold card has to be made the same way by going throught the proocess all over again, I made three because I am a paranoid sort and like to cover my butt , this way I will always have one in standby!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones