• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Morning all! RSRSS will be along in a few hours, probably.
Not sure if you still needed an answer, but the backup should be in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<backup_name>. Every CWM backup set should have 6 files.
Awesome, thanks.
Probably ninja'd by now but I'm behind...

Samurai II: Vengeance is one of the gold apps offered for free thru GetJar (which was determined to not be piracy :)
Actually, this was perfect timing! I'm a little abashed, as I think I was the one that first posted the GetJar gold apps list here, but I'm very glad you brought it up. :D Downloading it now.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Do you guys have comparison to places you went with your "old phone" versus the nexus and compared how well it holds calls.

Mine is sort of 10 years ago, in it's reception. It doesn't drop many, but they fade in and out for 2-3 seconds, like they used to.

Same stretches of road, that sort of thing.

Is that the Radio, you're talking about?

My OG Droid was perfectly fine at my desk (2-3 bars maybe), but this is nowhere near that. I know the bars are reading low and I don't want to sit at the About Phone screen all day to get a reading, but I can definitely tell because I have "time without a signal" at ~20% while at work.

Upvote 0
So I just received the spare battery and charger accessory that I kind of had to get because of the $50 living social deal I had, and I didn't even realize that it doubles as a dock/stand for the phone! I was so happy when I realized that it doubles as a stand for a phone seeing as that is what I wanted in the first place but they aren't released yet. Why didn't anyone tell me this!?! :p

8zjnnn.jpg

Upvote 0
So I just received the spare battery and charger accessory that I kind of had to get because of the $50 living social deal I had, and I didn't even realize that it doubles as a dock/stand for the phone! I was so happy when I realized that it doubles as a stand for a phone seeing as that is what I wanted in the first place but they aren't released yet. Why didn't anyone tell me this!?! :p

I thought we had mentioned that. Yay for you to like it!

The only thing that would make this dock better would be to make use of the pogo pins.

Upvote 0
I thought we had mentioned that. Yay for you to like it!

The only thing that would make this dock better would be to make use of the pogo pins.

That, and the fact that you can't really touch the phone when it is on the stand...it just kind of hangs in there barely and flops over if you touch the phone...which for me isn't a big deal because I can control pretty much everything on the phone with the keyboard, but when I go to unlock it, it seems to tip over a lot.

EDIT: As I was typing this, I got a text that vibrated the phone and it flopped off the stand. Fail.

Upvote 0
The radio on this thing is really starting to get to me.

Where I sit at work has 0 bars of service (sits at -120dBm sometimes) and my connection times out such that when I do get to an area of service I have to toggle airplane mode sometimes for it to work. I just wish they would move my desk (unlikely) or fix this radio or something.

Grrr.

My GN gets the exact same dbm readings as my Inc (and my wifes Inc) no matter where I am. I've checked this at home numerous times, at the mall, restaurants, on the road etc...the kicker here is WHEN ON 3G.

When on 4G/LTE, the signal is always about ~15dbm weaker than the Inc. I'm not that knowledgeable on radios, but it says to me that the LTE frequency or the LTE radio, idk which, is just not as strong as 3G/CDMA.

My OG Droid was perfectly fine at my desk (2-3 bars maybe), but this is nowhere near that. I know the bars are reading low and I don't want to sit at the About Phone screen all day to get a reading, but I can definitely tell because I have "time without a signal" at ~20% while at work.

When you do get that "20% time w/o signal", are you using CDMA/LTE in "mobile network settings"? Just curious if you've tried using just your 3G for testing signal strength or is it just as bad no matter what? Also have you tried out the new radio?

Upvote 0
That, and the fact that you can't really touch the phone when it is on the stand...it just kind of hangs in there barely and flops over if you touch the phone...which for me isn't a big deal because I can control pretty much everything on the phone with the keyboard, but when I go to unlock it, it seems to tip over a lot.

EDIT: As I was typing this, I got a text that vibrated the phone and it flopped off the stand. Fail.

Yeah. Mine is strictly a battery charger. I got one of those spider type bendy holders for home. Its attached to my headboard. And work I made a stand.

Upvote 0

it stays in the stand much better with a TPU case on. the phone also sits more vertically, making it easier to read. :cool:

Upvote 0
My GN gets the exact same dbm readings as my Inc (and my wifes Inc) no matter where I am. I've checked this at home numerous times, at the mall, restaurants, on the road etc...the kicker here is WHEN ON 3G.

When on 4G/LTE, the signal is always about ~15dbm weaker than the Inc. I'm not that knowledgeable on radios, but it says to me that the LTE frequency or the LTE radio, idk which, is just not as strong as 3G/CDMA.

When you do get that "20% time w/o signal", are you using CDMA/LTE in "mobile network settings"? Just curious if you've tried using just your 3G for testing signal strength or is it just as bad no matter what? Also have you tried out the new radio?

Double post, but when at work I sit on 3G -- I only go onto 4G when I am not in the office. So on 3G and still at ~20% time without a signal.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Double post, but when at work I sit on 3G -- I only go onto 4G when I am not in the office. So on 3G and still at ~20% time without a signal.

I see. Have you tried the new radio?

edit: also, that 20% w/o signal is taking into account the time you are also on 4G, unless of course, you are manually on 3G for an entire charge/battery stat cycle.

Upvote 0
Hmm, interesting, my OG Droid got zero service at my desk, but my GNex is fantastic, gets middling bars of 4G. Big improvement. :)

Hey, by the way everyone, if anyone is a huge meat lover like me - Omaha Steaks is running a special promotion, their "All-American Celebration" package for 60 bucks! Those interested, click the hide button, I didn't want to take up a ton of space:

• 4 (5 oz.) Filet Mignons
  • 4 (5 oz.) Top Sirloins
  • 2 (4.5 oz.) Stuffed Sole with Scallops and Crabmeat
  • 4 (4 oz.) Boneless Pork Chops
  • 8 (4 oz.) Omaha Steaks Burgers
  • 4 (3 oz.) Gourmet Franks
  • 8 Potatoes au Gratin
  • 6-piece knife set and cutting board!

When you go to the checkout screen, you get the option to add three more things for another $20, so I tacked on:

• 4 (5.75 oz.) Stuffed Baked Potatoes
  • 2 (7.75 oz) Chicken Cordon Bleu
  • 1 (18 oz.) Beef Stroganoff

$80 all told, the only rough part was that it's another $20 for S&H. But I figured an even $100 for a freezer full of meat was still a good deal. Order placed on the 27th, just arrived a few moments ago in a huge styrofoam box. :)

http://www.omahasteaks.com/jad

Reactions: BabyBlues and jbdan
Upvote 0

8zjnnn.jpg
Try turning your phone around. The charger should be behind the phone. I have one too. And I noticed there is a larger lip to hold the phone in the stand on that side. It will be more secure.:D

Reactions: tluley51 and jbdan
Upvote 0
Try turning your phone around. The charger should be behind the phone. I have one too. And I noticed there is a larger lip to hold the phone in the stand on that side. It will be more secure.:D

Thats why I love these forums. Thanks a bunch, works perfect.

EDIT: And I just got another new toy today...Fed ex came twice for me today, don't you love those days? New Adam's driver. SUPER sexy :)

Upvote 0
I have a nice tripod for my DSLR, and I'd like to get an adapter head for Nessie, that I can put on my existing tripod (I don't want a 2nd tripod.) Does anyone know of one, or has one that works? The ones I've seen at Amazon don't look big enough to fit our Nexs.

The reason I want this is because the "time lapse" photography mode is very cool! I set my phone on my tripod (via a makeshift adapter of rubber bands and wood...lol) on Christmas morning, and set it for 10 sec intervals. I shot the whole morning of our package opening fun, more than an hour's worth, and the resulting video is only about 30+ seconds long. Very fun to watch! Everybody loved it!

Upvote 0
I have a nice tripod for my DSLR, and I'd like to get an adapter head for Nessie, that I can put on my existing tripod (I don't want a 2nd tripod.) Does anyone know of one, or has one that works? The ones I've seen at Amazon don't look big enough to fit our Nexs.

The reason I want this is because the "time lapse" photography mode is very cool! I set my phone on my tripod (via a makeshift adapter of rubber bands and wood...lol) on Christmas morning, and set it for 10 sec intervals. I shot the whole morning of our package opening fun, more than an hour's worth, and the resulting video is only about 30+ seconds long. Very fun to watch! Everybody loved it!

Haven't looked into this, but would love to see the video :)

Upvote 0

I posted about this a few times in the pre-release thread. I should have mine soon and can definitely review it. I have a feeling once the kickstarter ones are shipped out that they will start producing ones for the markets.

Check it out: Capta: Stick it, Lean it, Wrap it, Attach it. by UDS (Unique Design Solutions) &mdash; Kickstarter

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones