• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Most definitely!

Hey Chief, watch out! These two are on a path that will take them very close to you!

Tell me about it, Geek! We've had one tornado warning already this morning... and things haven't even picked up yet! :eek:

I had to cancel a meeting tonight due to inclement weather. Got my shopping done early. This is looking to be a rock-n-roll kinda evening - moved the weather radio into the dining room and tuned in! Everyone STAY SAFE tonight!

Upvote 0
soo it's been a long time since ive been back here... grad school + work is killer. anywho i've been really interested in a tablet and all the new stuff outta MWC really got me excited.

anyone have thoughts on taking the plunge for something out now and getting a good deal vs waiting for something to come stateside at a decent price and latest tech?

price is really want i'm after (<$400), to view photos, and to read PDFs and watch lectures while on travel. i was really a big fan of the gtab 7+ and the playbook really got my attention once you could load android apps. the acer a500 and xoom have both been in my shopping cart at one point, until i resisted the impulse.

Upvote 0
Hey, folks! Been busy and long time no check in. Hope everyone is well!

I finally have an issue with my phone that I hope the collective can help with. I searched but I dont know what it is called so I got no relevant results.

My phone very kindly reads me my texts. Through bluetooth most of the time. Through the speaker the rest. I really like this when I am driving or my hands are busy. I dont particularly like it when it reads my texts to me while I am on a call. I dont even remember if reading the texts is by default or if I made it happen some way. It would seem to me that the text speech should mute while on a call, but it doesnt.

So, what did I do to turn this on? How do I turn it off? Best would be if it muted while I am on a call.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome back! Are you stock or on a rom?

Upvote 0
So everyone, I'm sitting here watching this crazy messed up movie "Antonia's Line" for a World Film class. It's so messed up. So far it has been "Rape scene, sex scene, marriage scene, 4 different couples sex scene, another rape scene, then I watched the soldier who did the raping be beat, and finallly he was drowned." It's...such a weird movie. I don't have any idea what I am going to post about in the discussion board. I feel bad after watching said movie. I hope you all are having a beter day than me!

Edit: and now there is a lesbian sex scene. What the heck. All in the line of "education" I guess.

Upvote 0
afternoon, all!

Just learned a new canon 5DmkIII was announced last night, mostly with tweaks for video but a few for still shots, but a 1k premium over the currant 5DmkII? Looks like Canon just cut me out of this camera. Not that my mkII is doing bad. Also find the trend of product refreshes like new lenses, say the 24-70mm f/2.8L II 2300 bucks from the (still available) mkI which is on sale for 1300. A thousand dollar price increase? Seriously!?

This trend is disturbing. :(

Upvote 0
So everyone, I'm sitting here watching this crazy messed up movie "Antonia's Line" for a World Film class. It's so messed up. So far it has been "Rape scene, sex scene, marriage scene, 4 different couples sex scene, another rape scene, then I watched the soldier who did the raping be beat, and finallly he was drowned." It's...such a weird movie. I don't have any idea what I am going to post about in the discussion board. I feel bad after watching said movie. I hope you all are having a beter day than me!

Edit: and now there is a lesbian sex scene. What the heck. All in the line of "education" I guess.

And THAT'S what passes for "higher education" anymore. Thank GOD my kids have decided not to go to college...

EDIT: I'm not saying that ALL academic institutions are like this... but there's quite enough of them to be absolutely scary!

Reactions: Thats
Upvote 0
And THAT'S what passes for "higher education" anymore. Thank GOD my kids have decided not to go to college...

EDIT: I'm not saying that ALL academic institutions are like this... but there's quite enough of them to be absolutely scary!

Yeah, I realize this is only a level 115 course, so it makes sense to me, it's about cultural diversity, it's still an eye opener how much...darkness is in this movie. Sidenote: A guy totally just died by having a cow kick him :(

Upvote 0
soo it's been a long time since ive been back here... grad school + work is killer. anywho i've been really interested in a tablet and all the new stuff outta MWC really got me excited.

anyone have thoughts on taking the plunge for something out now and getting a good deal vs waiting for something to come stateside at a decent price and latest tech?

price is really want i'm after (<$400), to view photos, and to read PDFs and watch lectures while on travel. i was really a big fan of the gtab 7+ and the playbook really got my attention once you could load android apps. the acer a500 and xoom have both been in my shopping cart at one point, until i resisted the impulse.

FYI: Motorola XOOM (32GB) is $300 today. Wireless Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

Reactions: eddieruko
Upvote 0
BTW nice little accomplishment for my app. I need to find a way to get more downloads and usage. I want to incorporate activity points (points you gain for doing a workout / other activities) and a daily points allowance calculator. Any other ideas anyone has?

ZLY36.png

Upvote 0
Hello all! Well to the one way audio clan: it happened again today and not in my home market. This time I was in Asheville, seems the tower idea is not holding true for me however they are are all new LTE markets. I am holding out on changing for number three handset until we get an official OTA (I am already running unofficial 4.04) as they say it will be fixed and I really love this phone. ;)

Thanks for the update. Sorry you're still having problems. :( I wouldn't exchange for another refurb unless you absolutely had to... as you've seen, I haven't had the best luck with refurbs.

On to the next chapter of my Nexus story. I had the one-way audio issue when talking with my mom yesterday afternoon. I asked her if any of her friends complain about that, as it always seems to happen with her. She said no (of course). I called Verizon and went through the spiel for what seemed like the 1000th time. The rep said she can see the notes on my account but nowhere did it state they will give me a new Nexus to exchange (of course). She asked if I wanted a RAZR, and I politely declined. I said I love the Nexus, it's perfect except for this, etc., etc.

She checked her "internal discussion forums" and found several other references to people complaining about this. She then said, "Oh, it states here this is a known issue per Samsung and it will be fixed in a future software release, scheduled for early March." :eek: Again with the polite expression of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! She said, let's get Samsung on the phone and see what they have to say.

She brought Samsung on the line and the 1st level rep at Samsung said there "are no defects with the Galaxy Nexus and any issues are with the carrier." Both the Verizon rep and I rolled our eyes and she (Verizon rep) said no, it's not a carrier issue, you said it was a problem, when is it going to be fixed? They went back and forth a few times and finally the Verizon rep asked for the Samsung rep's supervisor. He came on the line and was, in a word, worthless. He basically regurgitated what sounded like internal poilicies and canned answers. When asked, but what about the customer? he said they don't have phones to do an exchange, they don't sell directly to consumers, etc. Basically every answer to absolve them of responsibility. He also said that anything found on dicsussion forums is "heresay" and "not accurate". I piped up at this point and said that we, the Android community, aren't making this stuff up. It made no difference.

We hung up with him and the Verizon rep was digging a little more and found that yes, this one-way audio issue is a known issue, and it's going to be fixed in the latest release. I said, how come no one else I talked to the other 4 times I've called told me that? She said she didn't know, and I specifically mentioned that other reps said there was a fix coming but this wasn't listed as part of the fix. She said well, we're not supposed to mention our internal discussion forums but I can tell you right now, what I'm seeing here says that yes, this issue is a known issue and will be fixed in an update that's scheduled for early March. I said if that's true, you've helped me more in 45 minutes than all other reps combined.

Was she blowing sunshine up my keister to get rid of me, since she "couldn't" replace my Nexus with another new Nexus? I have no idea. She didn't sound like she was impatient and/or just trying to get me off the phone. I'd like to believe it, and her story does coincide with other things I have read on the Interwebz. I guess we'll find out when the next OTA update is officially released OTA.

Could we be nearing the epilogue of my saga? Time will tell...

Upvote 0
My only experience with a tornado happened last year. I was sent to Georgia for training for one week. It just happened to be the week of all the deadly tornadoes across the south. They put us up in a wonderfully pathetic hotel. Around midnight someone starts pounding on the door. I ignore it. Pounds on the door again. I ignore. The guy that I was rooming with was sleeping. The third time I finally go to answer and roommate wakes up. I open the door and the guy says...there's a big tornado coming we gotta go. I gotta a say I'm a pretty laid back guy. I was a little scared, but was more or less...eh, whatever. Turned on the tv and yep there was a big tornado coming right for us. So now most of us are like "holy shit we're gonna die". Myself and everyone start texting and calling family and friends, not knowing what might happen. Oh, instead of leaving we all just went to one room. After all that the tornado moved just enough to the north that it never touched us. I did, however, hear sounds from a storm I never heard before and saw some really cool lightning.

I saw some numbers today. Average yearly deaths by tornadoes...56 Number of deaths last year from tornadoes...551

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. Sorry you're still having problems. :( I wouldn't exchange for another refurb unless you absolutely had to... as you've seen, I haven't had the best luck with refurbs.

On to the next chapter of my Nexus story. I had the one-way audio issue when talking with my mom yesterday afternoon. I asked her if any of her friends complain about that, as it always seems to happen with her. She said no (of course). I called Verizon and went through the spiel for what seemed like the 1000th time. The rep said she can see the notes on my account but nowhere did it state they will give me a new Nexus to exchange (of course). She asked if I wanted a RAZR, and I politely declined. I said I love the Nexus, it's perfect except for this, etc., etc.

She checked her "internal discussion forums" and found several other references to people complaining about this. She then said, "Oh, it states here this is a known issue per Samsung and it will be fixed in a future software release, scheduled for early March." :eek: Again with the polite expression of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! She said, let's get Samsung on the phone and see what they have to say.

She brought Samsung on the line and the 1st level rep at Samsung said there "are no defects with the Galaxy Nexus and any issues are with the carrier." Both the Verizon rep and I rolled our eyes and she (Verizon rep) said no, it's not a carrier issue, you said it was a problem, when is it going to be fixed? They went back and forth a few times and finally the Verizon rep asked for the Samsung rep's supervisor. He came on the line and was, in a word, worthless. He basically regurgitated what sounded like internal poilicies and canned answers. When asked, but what about the customer? he said they don't have phones to do an exchange, they don't sell directly to consumers, etc. Basically every answer to absolve them of responsibility. He also said that anything found on dicsussion forums is "heresay" and "not accurate". I piped up at this point and said that we, the Android community, aren't making this stuff up. It made no difference.

We hung up with him and the Verizon rep was digging a little more and found that yes, this one-way audio issue is a known issue, and it's going to be fixed in the latest release. I said, how come no one else I talked to the other 4 times I've called told me that? She said she didn't know, and I specifically mentioned that other reps said there was a fix coming but this wasn't listed as part of the fix. She said well, we're not supposed to mention our internal discussion forums but I can tell you right now, what I'm seeing here says that yes, this issue is a known issue and will be fixed in an update that's scheduled for early March. I said if that's true, you've helped me more in 45 minutes than all other reps combined.

Was she blowing sunshine up my keister to get rid of me, since she "couldn't" replace my Nexus with another new Nexus? I have no idea. She didn't sound like she was impatient and/or just trying to get me off the phone. I'd like to believe it, and her story does coincide with other things I have read on the Interwebz. I guess we'll find out when the next OTA update is officially released OTA.

Could we be nearing the epilogue of my saga? Time will tell...

Thanks for the condolences Lucky, lol. What you heard from verizon is the same that I heard: it is a known issue and a fix is coming in early March. At least we know you and I were told the same thing.

Reactions: Lucky Armpit
Upvote 0
Looks like my sister is having problems with her nexus. Reboot issues. I guess a few times today. The most recent time when she called to give a heads up to relatives in Indiana where dangerous severe weather is occurring. NOT GOOD!

Mine rebooted today too, I didn't even realize it until I went to use it and it said it was authenticating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones