• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S5 apps on SD card can't update unless moved back to device storage

Tyler111

Lurker
Mar 24, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 through Verizon, and ever since the last OTA system software update, Google Play throws an error when it tries to update any of the apps I have on my SD card. I can get around it by moving them back to device storage for the update, then returning them to the SD card afterward, but I'm running low on internal storage, so I may not be able to do that for long. Any ideas about what's going on and/or how I might be able to fix it?

Thank you!

Actually, mikedt may be mistaken. Unless Samsung removed it in the last update, which I would think unlikely because it would cause all sorts of problems, the S5 does have the move to SD card option for its apps out of the box no root needed. Samsung has supported this in all it's phones with SD cards. However, he is right that this feature is not officially supported by Google, hence the problem here is on Samsung's end because the apps come from Google. As far as I know, there is no real fix here. Just move them to phone storage then back again after updating. Sometimes the problem goes away on its own for some reason. I've experienced the same intermittently.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones