1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy S5 apps on SD card can't update unless moved back to device storage

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Tyler111, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Tyler111

Tyler111 Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2016
    Male
    Hi everyone,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 through Verizon, and ever since the last OTA system software update, Google Play throws an error when it tries to update any of the apps I have on my SD card. I can get around it by moving them back to device storage for the update, then returning them to the SD card afterward, but I'm running low on internal storage, so I may not be able to do that for long. Any ideas about what's going on and/or how I might be able to fix it?

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Officially, apps moved to SD are NOT supported by either Samsung or Google, and you're on your own basically by doing that. Presumably you've rooted and modified the S5 to do this anyway, App2SD or something. The update has changed something I think. Could try going back to the older version, if that's possible.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Actually, mikedt may be mistaken. Unless Samsung removed it in the last update, which I would think unlikely because it would cause all sorts of problems, the S5 does have the move to SD card option for its apps out of the box no root needed. Samsung has supported this in all it's phones with SD cards. However, he is right that this feature is not officially supported by Google, hence the problem here is on Samsung's end because the apps come from Google. As far as I know, there is no real fix here. Just move them to phone storage then back again after updating. Sometimes the problem goes away on its own for some reason. I've experienced the same intermittently.

mikedt likes this.