• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S7 Battery LIfe

I feel like going from a full charge at noon to 33% at 8:30 with very little use isn't all that great. Should I expect better?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160331-201359.png
    Screenshot_20160331-201359.png
    412.1 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 0
I feel like going from a full charge at noon to 33% at 8:30 with very little use isn't all that great. Should I expect better?

I posted the screenshot of battery use - it's been over 40% Android System eating it up, and over 15% Android OS. I keep my screen very dim. Last night I had it fully charged at 1:30am, and I didn't touch the phone once until noon - it had drained to 51%. So there was zero on screen time on that one.

Upvote 0
That's way out of line. I can keep my phone off for 12 hours and only lose 8% of battery power. I have the US version that supposedly utilizes more battery (defamation suit already filed against ironass). Don't go by android system usage as many apps/activities can affect it.
Are you keeping any of the following continuously on –
Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, location, NFC?
How weak is your carrier signal?
When you check notifications, do you see a Doze notification?
Are there any other prominent notifications during this sleep period?

I would suggest downloading an app called G Sam Battery Monitor and checking it after the sleep period. It could help identify any offending app/service that is causing this battery drain.

Thank you, I will download G Sam it and see exactly what's going on. It wasn't using much battery when I first got it (and I had all of those things on - Bluetooth, location, etc). I've downloaded zero new apps - the only thing that changed is the there was some software update about a week ago. I believe it was a Samsung update. It's been less than stellar ever since that. I'm really not sure if there are any prominent notifications during the sleep period because...well....I'm asleep :) I appreciate everyone's input. Other than this annoying issue, I love this phone - the photo quality is excellent!

Upvote 0
Everyone's usage and settings are obviously different, so the true test is how things compare to your own history. That being said, I cleared the partition as noted in the video above after doing the most recent T-mobile update and with a little less than an hour of SOT and 6+ hours of being on, my phone is at 84% with the screen now being the biggest offender. That had not been the case in the month since I got the phone, so I'm cautiously optimistic that at least one of the above changes helped the cause a little.

Most notably, it seems to be burning less battery when sitting idle. Granted, it's a small sample size so far.

Upvote 0
I think the battery once I optimized all apps, put it on power saving mode also changed the display screen (along with dark themes) turned off all unnecessary apps that I don't use.

I think it's a beast compared to most regular phones lol especially ESPECIALLY iPhone. I had to change that phone like 3 times a day lol I charge my phone once a day MAYBE twice if I don't sleep lol

Upvote 0
I think the battery once I optimized all apps, put it on power saving mode also changed the display screen (along with dark themes) turned off all unnecessary apps that I don't use.

I think it's a beast compared to most regular phones lol especially ESPECIALLY iPhone. I had to change that phone like 3 times a day lol I charge my phone once a day MAYBE twice if I don't sleep lol
S7 beats iPhone in battery? Please... Show me a s7 that gets even close to 11h SOT.
2cnbeia.jpg

Upvote 0
How about this one then? ;)

lol in your face iSheep troll :D
And you believe that video is indicative of the battery life you can expect from general usage? Be real.
http://androidforums.com/threads/s7-edge-battery-life.1007926/
http://androidforums.com/threads/galaxy-s7-battery-life.1007389/
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/galaxy-s7.1944292/
None of the people in these threads get even close to a sot of 12h, in fact, most people seem to be happy getting 5-6h.

Upvote 0
And you believe that video is indicative of the battery life you can expect from general usage? Be real.
http://androidforums.com/threads/s7-edge-battery-life.1007926/
http://androidforums.com/threads/galaxy-s7-battery-life.1007389/
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/galaxy-s7.1944292/
None of the people in these threads get even close to a sot of 12h, in fact, most people seem to be happy getting 5-6h.

No one mentioned, "General usage", until now. However, the screen on time can depend on which model of Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge you have... Exynos or Snapdragon, see, below. Perhaps you could post a link to the iPhone's 11 hour Screen on time in general usage. However, this would still fall well below the 13.5 hours of web browsing and 20 hours of video playback for the S7 Exynos model.

GLOBAL EXYNOS 8890

U.S./CHINESE SNAPDRAGON 820

EDIT: The same GSMArena tested the iPhone 6S Plus which shows around half the video playback time and 4 hours less web browsing...

Apple iPhone 6 Plus battery life test

Last edited:
Reactions: Nyadia1614
Upvote 0
This past week my battery broke in and I'm getting dam good life and it just keeps getting better. I've been getting 7-7 1/2 hours OST no problem I wth battery to spare. Today I got 6 hours with about 20 percent left and 21 hours total usage and that's a not great day for me. Usually I'm on 4glte, today wifi mixed with 4glte. I did have an hour and a half phone call which of course drains battery. Snapdragon 820 model, black and gray wallpaper, auto push off for Gmail, ok Google detection off, auto brightness, and am using Nova launcher. But I do watch alot of YouTube and Web browsing continuesly so to get this life is amazing. Best battery I've had which is why I'm so happy I upgraded from my s6 edge. If I actually used my wifi instead of data and wasn't non stop browsing on YouTube and broke it up a little I'd easily be at 7 hours OST and end up with 8 1/2-9 OST with about 23-24 hours total use. I mean most of this week I was at 5 hours OST at 40 percent battery left. That's just amazing to me. The call drained me down a little which is why it dropped to 28 percent with 6hrs OST. But without long calls or anything and just general Web browsing and a little YouTube I could get 10 hours especially if I used battery saver mode mixed in which I haven't at all yet. That's pretty insane. I could see someone getting 11 hours OST on this thing no problem depending on their connection and use. Note that I'm watching YouTube shit all the time and browsing the Web. Takes a lot of battery up. Especially YouTube. This battery is a beast. The s6s6 edge had like a 3rd of this battery power.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160415-194208.png
    Screenshot_20160415-194208.png
    613 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Reactions: Nyadia1614
Upvote 0
Idk how it's terrible. The edge version is a beast battery wise. Best phone I've ever owned. And I understand the turbo has great battery life but the s7 edge cannot be far off. I could get two days out of this thing easily if I wasn't a power user. I'm using 25 gigs a month. Still on unlimited. But if I just did normal browsing and calls and texts here and there this thing would go two days with no problem. It's truly a beast. And I'm not Samsung biased at all. My s6 edge was my first Samsung. And the battery was terrible. This thing is the s6 edge but perfected. I always used Motorolas, then htc from the DNA up to the my m8. Then finnaly got a Samsung with the s6 edge. Upgraded early to the s7 edge. That's how much I wanted Thai phone and I absolutely love it. So happy I did it. It's a perfect phone IMO. And the silver is the nicest color I've seen on a phone. I loved the gunmetal m8 finish but this phone is gorgeous.

Upvote 0
My battery life has been great. Right now I'm going on 11 hrs and 12 min. at 73% battery, estimated usage of 12 Hrs. 10 min. left. here are my biggest battery drains.

Android System - 27% usage - 54 min.
Android OS - 18% usage - 32 min.
Screen - 15 % usage - 1 hrs 7 min.

I can make it through a 16 hrs day with around 40% battery left and almost 3 hrs. on screen time.

Reactions: SirEagle
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones