• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting my phone TODAY!!!

Cary... congrats on being the first. My quesiton is solely about call quality for both the earpiece and for the speaker phone. I need this phone to be a great ..... well....phone.

Ear piece sounds great. No complaints from the other end and its crystal clear. I haven't tried speaker phone too much but so far its just as good if not better than the original epic

Reactions: toolwarrior
Upvote 0
Hey guys! GUESS WHAT!?

South San Francisco, CA, United States 09/15/2011 6:39 A.M. Out For Delivery

Congrats!!! Your order is on it's way!

I'm sorry Carey, I really had no choice. I called the Sprint Early Release Police (SERP) concerning your SGS2E4GT. This is their response:

Mr. Unplugged, thank you for your tip. Here at SERP HQ, we take the early release of our products quite seriously, and we plan on locating this Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch immediately. (Unfortunately, the name of the damn phone has slowed our efforts because the South San Francisco Police Department insists on writing out the name in full every time we make mention of the phone.)

As you can imagine, we have enlisted the resources of the Apple Police to assist our meager department. (As you know, their budget is unlimited, while we can't even afford Premier service.) Also, the Apple Police have quite a reputation for results, even if their methods are a bit questionable.

In any case, we have begun scouring the South Frisco (that's what we Kansas people call San Francisco) neighborhood this perp has holed himself up in. With Apple's assistance, we have gone house-to-house and expect to finish up the search faster than our 4G network. (A little cellular humor there!)

Cellularly Yours,

Capt. Dan
SERP

Upvote 0
I just want to know if the loudspeaker is loud enough for outdoor use and is it distortion free at max volume. I watch a lot of sports when fishing on boat. I need it to be loud enough for use outside like my Photon and Evo 4G.

Also I hope you didn't sign a 2 year contract for $75 upgrade discount. I would have just bought the phone outright if that is the case.

The outdoor volume is just as loud as the EVO 4G. I compared it to my wife's evo. At max volume, the treble gets a little "tinny" but it's fairly loud outdoors.

As for the contract, I never plan to leave Sprint (been with them for 15 years)- so contract renewals aren't a big deal after all this time. Also, the discount and costs dont really matter to me as well - see my post above as Vegas paid for this phone ;)

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I'm sorry Carey, I really had no choice. I called the Sprint Early Release Police (SERP) concerning your SGS2E4GT. This is their response:

In any case, we have begun scouring the South Frisco (that's what we Kansas people call San Francisco) neighborhood this perp has holed himself up in. With Apple's assistance, we have gone house-to-house and expect to finish up the search faster than our 4G network. (A little cellular humor there!)

Cellularly Yours,

Capt. Dan
SERP[/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Unplugged - you kill me :D :D :D

Reactions: unplugged1
Upvote 0
Thanks for your info!

hows the radio/signal reception compared to your old/previous Sprint device(s)??

I would say the radio/signal is similar to the original Epic. The only difference...drumroll...is that THE GPS is MUCH much faster in grabbing a signal. So no worries in that department

Upvote 0
When typing a text message using the "Samsung Keyboard" does it give you a list of words across the top to choose from, in case of spelling errors?

Yes - in the options for the Samsung Keyboard it has "XT9" advanced settings where you can enable this. There are a LOT of options in this area:

SC20110915-214116.png

Upvote 0
Thanks! glad to hear the GPS issues are sorted... i use Sprint and Google nav often. but ive never used the original epic... was the voice/data reception good?

Yes - voice/data was really good actually. I only pretended it was bad when I wanted to hang up on people I didn't really want to talk to at the time LOL

Upvote 0
The outdoor volume is just as loud as the EVO 4G. I compared it to my wife's evo. At max volume, the treble gets a little "tinny" but it's fairly loud outdoors.

As for the contract, I never plan to leave Sprint (been with them for 15 years)- so contract renewals aren't a big deal after all this time. Also, the discount and costs dont really matter to me as well - see my post above as Vegas paid for this phone ;)

Curse your Vegas. I would like to chastise you but unfortunately I myself use to go to Reno every other week.:eek:

Upvote 0
Curse your Vegas. I would like to chastise you but unfortunately I myself use to go to Reno every other week.:eek:

Can't fault you for going to Reno. I actually love Reno - I think they have wimax 4G there now right? Time to bring this big screen phone and read "How to Count Cards" at the black jack table LOL

Upvote 0
Hmmm.... I wonder what the first support thread will be??? Battery life? Signal problems? Who wants to place bets!? My money's on "How To Stop People From Wanting To Play With My Phone" or "How do I stop my phone from being so buttery smooth, it's just unnatural!" :D

Yeah its usually either battery life, GPS, or signal problems. But I like your ideas :)

Upvote 0
Cary, thanks for all your input.

Question -

When setting the screen brightness to its dimmest setting, how dim would you say it goes ?

One thing (among many) that I LOVE about my Evo, is that the dimmest setting is ACTUALLY REAL DIM, in comparison to the first gen Samsung Galaxy S (specifically, T'Mobile's Vibrant)

Thanks for your feedback !

Upvote 0
Cary, thanks for all your input.

Question -

When setting the screen brightness to its dimmest setting, how dim would you say it goes ?

One thing (among many) that I LOVE about my Evo, is that the dimmest setting is ACTUALLY REAL DIM, in comparison to the first gen Samsung Galaxy S (specifically, T'Mobile's Vibrant)

Thanks for your feedback !

That's a great question and I'm glad you asked. If you haven't used a super amoled before then it may be too bright even in the lowest setting. I used to have an evo and know exactly what you mean..it can get dim. Not so much with this phone. I downloaded an app called "screen filter" just to get the screen a little dimmer. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
That's a great question and I'm glad you asked. If you haven't used a super amoled before then it may be too bright even in the lowest setting. I used to have an evo and know exactly what you mean..it can get dim. Not so much with this phone. I downloaded an app called "screen filter" just to get the screen a little dimmer. Hope this helps

This is exactly the answer I was expecting, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Regardless, thanks for the quick reply ! :D

Upvote 0
The source code is out now. How long do you think you will run it stock? I think personally I will run it for a while, until something interesting enough is flashable. I might even wait until IC comes to flash anything. It will be a slight learning curve as I am used to flashing, but I understand with Galaxy phones you need to use Kies in the process. Shouldn't be hard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones