• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting one. What now?

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
I don't know whether it was dumb luck or (forced) patience, or some combination of the two, but managed to get a deal on eBay for an LG G4 (US991) unlocked phone. Kind of needed to get something because of reports already saying that at least carriers in the States were dumping or harvesting 3G by the end of the year finally; was already running into coverage issues with my SM-N900 Note 3 and it's one of the few phones out there that did meet my needs and wants for a daily driver phone well.

Based on my own research, this variant is rated to be compatible with at&t, T-Mobile, Verizon and even (partially) Sprint, which covers me pretty dang well. no Band 66 or stuff like that, but i wasn't having any major signal issues with the MXPE i used to own. Part of me thinks the band 66 stuff isn't even on here, yet.

Anyways, I'm more or less looking forward to getting it as far updated as I can, get a custom ROM on it and (obviously) extended battery upgrade to make it at least as useful (for as long) as my Note 3 certainly has been. And well, it's been easier to type on a thicc phone without typos.

Only thing is, my cursory look for ROMs compatible with the Us991 g4 (and by association, us996 v20) has been turning up blank on XDA. It's likely i might have skipped over something, but it is something i want to be sure of.

Also, since i am picking one up second hand, i just want to be aware of what i should check out when it finally arrives to me. Anything (not so obvious) i should look out for? Thinking out loud and brainstorming at the moment.

That would be hugely disappointing, if true. But it also reminds me of how long i had to wait until there were proper ROMs for the SM-N900 Note 3.

Please tell me there is at least Magisk available for it; that would make the wait until a full unlock like that is possible, or until i can possibly get a deal on a v20 i can bite on.

Upvote 0
There's this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/g4...t-tmo-vzw-intl-variants-soon-root-lg-t3164765

With that, I imagine Magisk might work.

There wasnt much development for the G4 because the US variants didn't have an unlockable bootloader.

I'd look at the V20 to be honest.
Okay, if I can get Magisk on it at least, I can have the desired ad-blocking and YouTube Vanced, which will cover most of the bases there for me.

If I'm going to try to find a V20, specs-wise the model I'd need is a US996 unlocked. In that respect, is that model able to have unlocked bootloader, and the ability to then install custom ROMs and the like?

If it is possible, then if nothing else I at least have a capable phone now, and one I can gift my wifey if and when I can upgrade to it. While she does still prefer the Windows Phone I gifted her (at her insistence), that model is only capable of AT&T and T-Mobile networks, and even though its battery is removable, it has been a challenge (putting it lightly) to find a suitable replacement battery, let alone an extended battery upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones