• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Talk opens even when off/closed/killed

hes not talking about it taking any power or memory, hes saying he doesnt want to be signed into google talk all the time. So disabling notifications doesnt accomplish that, only turning gchat off does

exactly

AND.. even if your signed off, Google still sends me an email, which there appears to be no way to stop, so no matter what... you get "notified" in the end which seems.. wrong

so really, it is not intuitive and it takes a bit to figure out how the whole system.. Talk on the Droid and Chat within gMail.. function and choose to alert you and how they work if both are running and signed in or one is not and the other is, etc.

Upvote 0
When I referenced BB Messenger, I was simply doing so to indicate that Google had copied the manner in which RIM deals with their chat....which is to leave it on almost all the time...and agreed, it's a hassle. One solution is to turn off auto-sign in, sign off, and then for good measure, go into settings -> applications -> running services and kill the Talk process. I've confirmed that I do NOT receive any notifications. Frankly, I'm not getting them on the phone simply by signing off.

The alternative, as I mentioned, is to turn off notifications so you won't be disturbed by them on your phone.

Meanwhile, I think the reason that you are getting gmail messages of your chat history is because you have your Gmail chat settings set to "Save chat history". Disable that and you won't get messages when you are offline.

Let me know if that helps and sorry if I misunderstood your OP. :)

Upvote 0
no worries...

honestly, as I said above, closing/killing/ending the Talk app does not sign you out or stop you from getting alerts. the only thing that does stop alerts is to drill down into the Menu and actually "sign out". Also, as ssantan2 explained, the "auto-sign in" does not stop alerts, all it does it stop it from starting up and start to run when you reboot your phone as the phone starts. Signing out is all that stops alerts... but that does NOT stop the Google gmail you will get if you are signed out and there was no obvious way to stop that.

BUT

then you just said "I think the reason that you are getting gmail messages of your chat history is because you have your Gmail chat settings set to "Save chat history". Disable that and you won't get messages when you are offline." and that sounds like a decent possibility I will try. Would not have thought of that as it is not that intuitive, but you could be right as there is no way to select "stop getting emails if signed out" option. So, you might have a good tip there I will try.

ps - I can't just "turn off notifications so you won't be disturbed by them on your phone." as I need alerts, but when I shut some app off or sign out, I expect to be signed out. period.

Upvote 0
no worries...

honestly, as I said above, closing/killing/ending the Talk app does not sign you out or stop you from getting alerts. the only thing that does stop alerts is to drill down into the Menu and actually "sign out"....

ps - I can't just "turn off notifications so you won't be disturbed by them on your phone." as I need alerts, but when I shut some app off or sign out, I expect to be signed out. period.

I've been running into this problem on my droid as well. I think maybe we're a little old school. Google has a really weird/interesting application design. If you have an application 'signed on' in multiple locations, all locations will reflect your behavior. An example of this is to open Gmail (with chat enabled) in two different browsers. If you then chat someone in one browser, the other browser will open a chat box, even if the other person has not responded to you.

I think this element of design is what's powering the Talk irritation. One thing you can do to eliminate this problem is to disable 'sync'. (and turn off auto sign-in in the talk application. I've found this to be highly effective when trying to get talk to shut up. The only down side is you have to manually sync your email... of course this could be a good thing if you get email every 30 seconds like so many of us do.:D

A second option, which I haven't tried yet, is to uninstall talk and try using a 3rd party app to connect.:thinking:

HTH,
RB

Upvote 0
I can't get Google Talk to return to the sign in screen anymore. No matter what I do, or what settings I enable/disable, it ALWAYS signs in with my default phone gmail account. Under 2.0 I used to be able to sign out and log in with my google apps account. Under 2.0.1 and 2.1 I can't log in to talk under any other account.

Very annoying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones