• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google to buy Sprint?

passivesf

Feb 25, 2010
As Sprint Nextel reports a massive loss of $865 Million today, the buyout rumors still continue to pour in.The usual suspect? (GOOG):
Google Inc.'s Android posted strong gains compared to Apple Inc.'s operating system, according to a report on March mobile traffic from Admob.
The report shows has passed the iPhone in ad impressions the U.S., with 46 percent of operating system share vs. 39 percent. The iPhone OS is No. 1 worldwide with 46 percent vs. Android's 25 percent.
In an effort to bolster its current 3G phone offerings, Sprint will start selling the Google One. The Nexus One is expected to compete on the same level as the iPhone and Droid. Sprint Nextel is hoping that the Nexus One will fill the void in its Palm phone lineup and help retain/gain 3G customers until its 4G network is fully rolled out.
Could this be a test run, and with good results Google will buy the company outright? Just think if Google purchased the troubled company, and converted it to an Android phone warehouse? Most interesting indeed.

Sprint Nextel (S) Buyout Rumors | The StockMasters

Is it going to happen, no. It is not going to happen. Not this year. Probably never.

In the real world, sprint has made alot of mistakes. But let us look at those mistakes. Buying nextel, mistake. Buying virgin mobile, mistake. Complete stupidity in customer service, mistake.

But what does that really mean? Well it means when you buy something you have to pay for it. When you pay for it cash goes out. The bleeding of customers was a natural process of people leaving the iden network, and zero ability of customer service and phone line to hold them to sprint.

But this is all completely natural. When you buy a new car, you have to adjust to the new expense. Sprint has shown that it can do that with some major class.

To be really honest, next year at this time. Sprint will be knocking on att door, handing them a eviction notice for the number 2 spot. They have proven they can admit fault and reset with a fix. They have the evo, better customer service, and wimax. And a ton of partners.

Failure does happen. Lets say that there is a perfect storm and Sprint does faultier, could happen to any carrier.

Then yes, the first company in that line would be google. Google would love to get into the telecom race. And if either sprint or tmobile did start to swirl the drain. Google would pull up very quick to retrieve them.

Reactions: kimrari
Upvote 0
Good point RiverOfIce, but would like to add, that being Google as Google is, if they want to get in the telecom field, they would probably choose a carrier that is more world wide and although it might be a good venture if they did take over Sprint, I do not see it being that Sprint is just CDMA USA.

TS

Reactions: RiverOfIce
Upvote 0
Good point RiverOfIce, but would like to add, that being Google as Google is, if they want to get in the telecom field, they would probably choose a carrier that is more world wide and although it might be a good venture if they did take over Sprint, I do not see it being that Sprint is just CDMA USA.

TS

I agree, but if google wants to be a global market position for world telecoms why did they help create and support wimax? If they wanted to get into the mobile markets they should have back lte. There is that problem with one being open and the other close, but ignoring that, google will save sprint, in sprint would need to be saved. Adding gsm to a phone is quite easy. But kind of goes around this lock it down to one network.

Upvote 0
Is it going to happen, no. It is not going to happen. Not this year. Probably never.

In the real world, sprint has made alot of mistakes. But let us look at those mistakes. Buying nextel, mistake. Buying virgin mobile, mistake. Complete stupidity in customer service, mistake.

But what does that really mean? Well it means when you buy something you have to pay for it. When you pay for it cash goes out. The bleeding of customers was a natural process of people leaving the iden network, and zero ability of customer service and phone line to hold them to sprint.

But this is all completely natural. When you buy a new car, you have to adjust to the new expense. Sprint has shown that it can do that with some major class.

To be really honest, next year at this time. Sprint will be knocking on att door, handing them a eviction notice for the number 2 spot. They have proven they can admit fault and reset with a fix. They have the evo, better customer service, and wimax. And a ton of partners.

Failure does happen. Lets say that there is a perfect storm and Sprint does faultier, could happen to any carrier.

Then yes, the first company in that line would be google. Google would love to get into the telecom race. And if either sprint or tmobile did start to swirl the drain. Google would pull up very quick to retrieve them.

I like this.

Upvote 0
I agree, but if google wants to be a global market position for world telecoms why did they help create and support wimax? If they wanted to get into the mobile markets they should have back lte. There is that problem with one being open and the other close, but ignoring that, google will save sprint, in sprint would need to be saved. Adding gsm to a phone is quite easy. But kind of goes around this lock it down to one network.

Lol? Please show me how to make my Samsung Moment a GSM phone. I'll pay you 100 bucks if you can do it without:

Breaking any laws.

Serious modifications.

Bricking the phone in general.

Upvote 0
nextel was a mistake.. yes.. that huge thorn in sprints side is the main reason a lot of bigger companies who like to buy other companies are not even looking at sprint. nextel messed up the emergency services spectrum early in its cycle, sprint took over nextel and then took over that burden of changing every emergency services spectrum in the country.., they are STILL changing over locations! this debt the nextel side is acquiring is still costing sprint.. people see this. they leave sprint alone.. until that part of nextel ends (and it may not for a while) dont see ANYONE trying to buy sprint.. it does not make wise financial sense at this point...

sprint is a great company. their network is built from the ground up :)D) using a high speed network that reminds me of to NTT DOCOMO's network in robustness.

customer service is poor across ALL industries.. food, car service, dealerships, movie business.. its not just sprint.. everyone has bad/poor customer service..

sprint has gotten better in the last 18 months and their handset lineup cant be beat...

fix the nextel cash flow hemmoraging, and you will see more folks come out the woodwork wanting to buy sprint....

Upvote 0
I think with Heese at the helm, I will stay with Sprint until the very end. I can not find a better deal with any other wireless company for what I get. The everything plans could possibly change wireless in the US. Sprint is moving forward to push its tech to beat any company here.

I can not wait to see all the good things that are going to coming out of sprint. I am buying sprint stock every chance in the hopes that everyone else will see what us sprint customers already see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones