• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google voice/carrier independent

Or did you mean something closer to "carrier agnostic" - that is, the same setup works regardless of what carrier you're on? That's the approach that I've taken with Google Voice. I'm all-in with my GV number, no one has the number actually assigned to my SIM. That lets me hop carriers depending on who's got the best deal (spoiler: T-Mobile by a longshot) without having to change/port numbers or anything else.

Upvote 0
Or did you mean something closer to "carrier agnostic" - that is, the same setup works regardless of what carrier you're on? That's the approach that I've taken with Google Voice. I'm all-in with my GV number, no one has the number actually assigned to my SIM. That lets me hop carriers depending on who's got the best deal (spoiler: T-Mobile by a longshot) without having to change/port numbers or anything else.

Then your stuck to wi-fi. Maybe in the future it won't be a problem, because city wide wifi might roll out one day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones