• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice Search is incredibly slow since the last update

Kelemvor

Nov 12, 2010
So I got an update to Google Now or Google Voice Search or something a month or so ago. Ever since it has been very laggy.

When I tap the microphone and start talking, there is a delay of 5-10 seconds from when I stop talking to when the phone realizes I've stopped talking and puts in whatever I said. It never used to be this bad. In the past it would only wait a second or so and then it would realize I was done talking and would fill in my words.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm on a GS5 w/Verizon if that matters.

I'm on Verizon and I froze all of my apps as of the day they came on the phone, or were first downloaded. Never allow updates for just the very reason you just state. "it is broken now".

So far, knock on 4.4.4 wood blocks, my phone is working well with Google Voice. In fact, I am starting to learn to use it first instead of trying to type in what I am looking for. Google voice can display what I need before I can remove my fingers from the keyboard.....

My favorite example is traveling home from Christmas vacation, after driving 8 hours in solid rain, we decided to call it quits. Brought up Hotels on the Garmin GPS "near me".... holy cow, a slue of them, but where are they relative to my route?

I finally had to find a rest stop, pull out the phone, and started making phone calls until I found one we could use.

later, the wife was using her phone; also an S5 like mine, and Google Voice is on her Homepage.... she tapped it, asked it for the nearest Arby's restaurant on our route..... 3 seconds later boom! there it was....

got home, decided to practice with my S5 and Google Voice, asked it the same exact question I wanted on my Garmin GPS.... 3 seconds later, it brought up 3 hotels only, one of which was the one we chose to use over in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Around the bend answer to your question, mine is working good so far. but, as of now, it is still plain jane 4.4.4 vanilla Verizon software.
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones