• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Roma2016

Lurker
Mar 20, 2016
Last night I turned to Google Maps for the first time since switching from an iPhone 6s Plus. I was used to instant satellite fixes and precise positioning on the map. Instead, my s7 edge placed me hundreds of meters away in the middle of the Tiber river. As I drove, fix updates were intermittent and wildly fluctuating. The device proved unless when walking, too. I've checked to make sure that all location features are on.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Thanks.

Hundreds of metres...how about thousands of kilometres away. Google almost put me in the Tiber river once, which is not bad going considering I was in Hong Kong at the time. LOL. But that was WiFi location, rather than GPS, which has always been exact for me.

Baidu Maps is always spot on.
807e45ea667588a0227666d19ecfbfeb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Someone suggested it's an issue with the compass becoming uncalibrated on startup. I entered *#0*# and my compass had a black circle with redline and 0. When calibrated, it changes to a circle with bue line and 3. Now testing to see if GPS performance improves.

I thought GPS uses the time it takes beams of radio waves to reach multiple satellites to figure out your location. Not the compass.

Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0
Consider installing the app GPS Test or GPS Test Plus by Chart Cross Limited. The plus version is a paid app with no ads displayed. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstestplus&hl=en
This app is very good and will give you the real scoop on what your GPS is doing. The app also allows for you to trigger the clearing of AGPS and updating of AGPS. I have used this app for around two years now and it is very good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones