• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Great phone

danhatt

Lurker
Apr 30, 2016
I received a OnePlus One for Father's Day last year form my youngest son. I had received an invite, but was not able to purchase one. I sent the invite to my son because he was in the market for a new phone.

Imagine my surprise when I received a gift from him and it was a OnePlus One. I charged it and waited through the updates. First call was to my son, letting know how pleased I was in receiving it.

Over the next few months I told people about, showed it to them and explained my son had given it to me for Father's Day.

On February 19th of this year it wouldn't power on. I was busy and did not have the time to wait on hold with customer support until Sunday, February 21st. Surprise! I had a very short wait until I was talking to a live human. It was quickly determined since I couldn't power on the phone that I would need help beyond what the young lady I was taking to was capable providing.

She told me what to expect and that she would follow up with an email with the instructions along with a number of files I would need to download to assist the technician who would be assigned the case. The email arrived a few minutes after the call ended.

I scheduled the meeting with the technician. The first available was one week later, but that is just how things go. The technician was a few minutes early, but was unable to connect to the phone via the USB port on my computer. He made a determination that it was the motherboard and would need to be returned for repair.

The repair people contacted me and requested the IMEI #, the serial # and the order number. I did not have the order number as it was a gift. To add to the problem my son travels out of the country for his job and it is difficult to contact him. I sent the IMEI # and tthe serial # as they were on the box the phone came in.

The repair people kept asking for one thing, then another, followed by another. My replies were generally the same day, theirs took longer. The straw that broke my back was when the asked for video or pictures of the phone.

At this point I was not happy. I called OnePlus Support and asked to speak to a supervisor. I had one on the phone within a minute or two. I explained what was happening and asked for an explanation. He didn't know, but immediately called the repair people. When he got back to me he let me know that my phone had shipped on February 14, 2015 and I called on February 21, 2016 so my phone was not covered by the warranty. He apologized for the problem and for the amount of time it took for the information to get to me regarding the warranty.

I received a quote for the repair from the repair people. I would pay shipping both directions, $188 for the motherboard, labor (no estimate for this cost) and a diagnostics fee. Again no dollar amount attached to that.

I have requested to speak to someone in management and my request has been ignored for the most part. It was finally acknowledged in that the person sending me the email said management said the warranty was expired.

Great phone, great telephone customer support. Some of the best telephone customer support I have ever received. But because of the repair support, I cannot recommend an otherwise, in my opinion, great phone.

Support ID 566486

You're probably paying for international shipping both ways to Hong Kong, and $188 plus whatever labour, etc. is more than what a OnePlus One is worth now.

Frankly this was really a value for money phone, bought online, imported from Hong Kong.

"Not available in any shops."
as-seen-on-tv-hypehair.jpg

IMO OnePlus One was essentially a cost reduced version of Oppo Find 7a.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones