• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Group Text Limits

SJMaye

Lurker
Jun 21, 2023
I use a group text to stay in touch with old high school friends. The problem is the group has grown beyond the limit of recipients. I was using Google Voice which is limited to 7. Then moved to Google Messages which is supposed to be limited to 100, but I have not been successful with even 35.

My carrier is Verizon. I have read Verizon Messages are limited to 20. Not sure if that is the app or the carrier. Can someone recommend an app that can do group texts with larger groups.

Being upfront, I am an old timer. I am not a technophile.

According to my carrier there is no limit on group text participants. I would assume that any limitations would be the text messaging app then. I am a long time user of Google Voice. I know the max number of people in a group text is 7 and no photos over 2MB. Due to this limitation I have been using Google Messages for a while with a group of 12 without issue. As stated above, they claim it will allow 100 in a group text. I tried my 35, but it was unsuccessful. Not sure why. I am experimenting with Whatsapp now.

Upvote 0
Being upfront, I am an old timer. I am not a technophile.

According to my carrier there is no limit on group text participants. I would assume that any limitations would be the text messaging app then. I am a long time user of Google Voice. I know the max number of people in a group text is 7 and no photos over 2MB. Due to this limitation I have been using Google Messages for a while with a group of 12 without issue. As stated above, they claim it will allow 100 in a group text. I tried my 35, but it was unsuccessful. Not sure why. I am experimenting with Whatsapp now.
FYI WhatsApp doesn't use your carrier's SMS or MMS service. And all users in the group have to use WhatsApp as well. If it's messaging for large groups that you require, there's Telegram and Signal as well, but again everyone must be using the same app.

Upvote 0
Hey Mike,

Yes, I found that out while experimenting. I don't want to use an app that requires recipients of my text to download an app to receive them. So, I am back to texting apps. Google Messages clearly states is supports up to 100 people on a group text, but one with 35 does not send. Could the phone hardware or OS be a limitation?

Upvote 0
Hardware or OS version, no, it really shouldn't be. App or service provider are the obvious bottlenecks. Both are telling you that they aren't, but being cynical that makes me suspect that one of them is wrong. It is certainly the case that both apps and service providers have limits, and that both vary between apps and providers.

One question: are you just sending a notification to people, or are you having group chats where you want everyone to see everyone else's replies? The reason it matters is that a one-way communication can be done using SMS, whereas if you want everyone to be able to see everyone else's replies you need to use MMS. And while I don't know whether this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if the limits were different. That's the sort of thing that could also result in misleading answers about what the app or provider's limit is.

It will be much simpler if you are just sending a notification and don't need a multi-way chat, since then as long as you can solve it for you then you're good. Whereas if everyone needs to see everyone's replies solving it for you might not solve it for others. That is where other services (WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram/etc) have an advantage, because they can all handle large groups and will be the same for everyone.

If you really have to use SMS or MMS all I can suggest is trying some other SMS/MMS apps and seeing whether it makes a difference. All SMS/MMS apps use the same system infrastructure, so you can just swap apps very easily. If it's the same for several apps I'd be inclined to suspect it's the carrier.

One thought though: does this fail when you send the message, or does it not allow you to add extra participants? If it's the latter then it may be the app (though if the app is aware of a network limit it might still be the network), whereas if the app allows you to make a group that size but then fails to send that would suggest the carrier (or a very badly-written app!).

Reactions: ocnbrze and SJMaye
Upvote 0
To answer your question - It would be nice to have the ability for chats between addressees, but in this case it would be used as way to notify the group of something.

I was just testing again. This time I tried sending the group of 30 a simple text, but it was from my phone rather than Google Message web app. When I tried to send the message I got a message, "Message not sent. Invalid destination address". Thinking it was referring to the phone numbers I was sending it to I double checked them all and they were correct.

Upvote 0
Update- I kept trying to send the same message with Google Messages with differing numbers of addressees. 30-No, 25-No, 20-Yes. So, there is a limitation somewhere to 20 people. With Google Messages I could add 30 people to the group text, but it would not send. I tried to do the same using the native Samsung app. Once I selected 20 addressees it would not allow me to select more. Weird

Upvote 0
I saw a limit of 20 mentioned for Verizon in other places during my searching, as well as your first post. Though as you say, knowing whether that's a Verizon app or a Verizon network thing is hard (especially since I'm European and while I may have roamed on the Verizon network I've never tried to send group messages on it ;)).

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones