• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Root for Official 2.3.5 With Guide

Geeve I just want to thank you a ton! I am a total noob. I don't even have my captivate yet (it will arrive tomorrow) but I have probably put in about 40 hours reading up on all this stuff. I was about ready to completely give up if it weren't for you and a few posters over at xda. This is by far the best guide I have come across. After I went through this thread a few times everything else started clicking. I am really confident now. Already sent a thanks your way!

Upvote 0
CWM from the market will not work with 2.3.5 captivate, it won't recognize your device, and it is way behind in version. You need to flash a kernal that has it infused. I use corn kernel which has CWM 5 already in it. I will post link when I get back to a PC

Edit:

[KERNEL][KK4][1/28/11] Corn Kernel v7.06 from Source (OC, BLN, Voodoo Sound, etc.)! - xda-developers

I use V7.05 because 7.06 was giving me random reboots. Flash this using Odin like the root guide tells you (put it in the PDA slot) only replace my downloads with the Corn Kernel, once you flash it on there, there is no need to flash back to stock Kernel. So just one flash of the Corn Kernel and you will have CWM Recovery installed.

Geeve

Edit 2: You can root as well with this Kernel once flashed, it is in the advanced options, I won't get in to that here though.

Geeve, I'm a little confused, sorry like I said i'm a noob. :)

In your instructions above did you mean that one should use the corn kernel in place of the other custom kernel (the one in the download you provided) if you want to get CWM - OR- did you mean that we should follow the guide to achieve root then after getting root use the same method from above to flash the Corn Kernel to get CWM? Just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Geeve, I'm a little confused, sorry like I said i'm a noob. :)

In your instructions above did you mean that one should use the corn kernel in place of the other custom kernel (the one in the download you provided) if you want to get CWM - OR- did you mean that we should follow the guide to achieve root then after getting root use the same method from above to flash the Corn Kernel to get CWM? Just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks!

If you want CWM flash the corn kernel. Open up Odin, put the corn kernal tar file in the PDA slot and flash away. If you flash the corn kernel there is no need to flash back to the stock kernel. Corn kernel can run your phone.

There is another guide to do this in the root section. You can just skip the root part of that guide, if you do this root method first.

Geeve

Reactions: hapifrapicapi
Upvote 0
If you want CWM flash the corn kernel. Open up Odin, put the corn kernal tar file in the PDA slot and flash away. If you flash the corn kernel there is no need to flash back to the stock kernel. Corn kernel can run your phone.

There is another guide to do this in the root section. You can just skip the root part of that guide.

Geeve

Awesome, thanks again!

Upvote 0
I tried to root using ur instructions but instead i got the dreaded "phone-triangle-computer" thing. After sum fixing, i tried again figuring it was a bad flash.... Same thing. So i tried 8 more times and kept getting the same "phone-triangle-computer" sign on my phone! Please help...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have a problem, did what your instructions say....the flash went well, but its not rooted. What am i doing wrong?

1) Dizzle: looking into it, I have not had the problem and can't reproduce it. You are on 2.3.5 correct?

2) Jonathan: After the flashes you downloaded busybox and updated superuser? May try to reflash as well.

Geeve

Upvote 0
Very cool! I am not real familar with the Heimdall set up. If you can make a step by step for this I will add it to the orignal guide, just in case we have some Linux Folks out there or just folks that prefer Heimdall :) That would be really helpful.

Geeve

I'm pretty much uncomfortable with anything that isn't a command line. I like to know every command that is being run. So, I used the Heimdall CLI 1.3.1 tool on my Mac to root my Captivate.

The paths below assume you put the contents of the zip files into directories named accordingly, and that your android SDK was expanded right in your Downloads directory...
Downloads/android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools/adb reboot download
sudo heimdall flash --pit Downloads/flashing/captivate.pit --kernel Downloads/flashing/I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears/zImage
sudo heimdall flash --pit Downloads/flashing/captivate.pit --kernel Downloads/flashing/KK4_stock_kernel/zImage

That's it. You can get Heimdall from https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much uncomfortable with anything that isn't a command line. I like to know every command that is being run. So, I used the Heimdall CLI 1.3.1 tool on my Mac to root my Captivate.

The paths below assume you put the contents of the zip files into directories named accordingly, and that your android SDK was expanded right in your Downloads directory...
sudo heimdall flash --pit Downloads/flashing/captivate.pit --kernel Downloads/flashing/I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears/zImage
sudo heimdall flash --pit Downloads/flashing/captivate.pit --kernel Downloads/flashing/KK4_stock_kernel/zImage

That's it. You can get Heimdall from https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/

Added to guide on post #6 and info on post #1. Thanks for your time on this

Geeve

Reactions: Fokkersauras
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones