• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Root for Official 2.3.5 With Guide

Upvote 0
Geeve (or others), Should it make any difference if I upgrade to the stock gingerbread via Kies from a rooted Froyo when some apps were "frozen" by titanium backup?

Here is what I discovered about this: I had a rooted version of Froyo and had used titanium backup to freeze some of the stock annoying apps. In particualar, I had frozen the AT&T app that was the tethering manger. (By freezing this app, you can tether.) After uprading using Kies to 2.3.5 although the phone was no longer rooted, the frozen apps remained frozen. Nice. When I rooted 2.3.5 using the directions in this thread I could confirm that the frozen apps were still frozen using titanium backup.

Upvote 0
I was asked for an easy to follow guide on how to do this:

So I thought I would make a guide. Some of you out there my find this really basic, but I want to make it as easy as possible.

Now click the PDA button and browse to KK4_stock_kernel.tar and Odin will now look like this:

Help Please:

I downloaded the files linked in the OP as instructed by and began the steps in this Post by geeve420 [Thanks geeve420].
Everything went fine for the run of odin with
I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.

That proceeded just as described in the above Post.

Then I proceeded to repeat the process on the unzipped tar file in
KK4_stock_kernel.zip. But when I clicked on PDA and selected
KK4_stock_kernel.tar

oden

kicked out the error msg.

Invalid Image Type

:(

What to do? Has anybody else had this problem? Why does odin refer to an image?
Solved it?

Any help would be appreciated. ;)
I am stuck at the middle of the two step process and left with no WiFi.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I'm completely new to this forum. I've also never rooted a smartphone. I've spent considerable time scouring the web for clear instructions on how to do this. This appears to be the most clear and concise method since I just updated through Kies Lite to Gingerbread 2.3.5. I want to try to give this a shot, seems as though most folks have had success with this guide. The other guides I read, mostly on the XDA site, use language way over my head.

I have a couple questions before doing this though. Are there any prerequisite steps I need to take before rooting? The first thing I notice in this thread is that my Captivate does not look like the one in the picture. Mine is through AT&T, has the AT&T logo on the front which from what I have read online means it is "network locked." Can I still root if this is the case? Is there anything else I have to have in place before rooting?

Also, after I root, what do I need to do to put a "ROM" on the phone? I'd like to get an ICS interface. Previously, I have just downloaded GO Launcher off the Android Market and applied an ICS Theme. Phone didn't seem to run as smoothly and it didn't have the complete ICS "look?" From what I have read, installing a ROM would enable the phone to run smoothly while getting the complete look. So what would I have to do to get something like that?

Also, from what I have read one of the key benefits to rooting is the wealth of extra apps available. How do I access these? Will they just show up in the Market once the phone is rooted?

Any additional advice would be appreciated. I'm completely new to this, but I believe this guide makes rooting achievable, even for someone like me lol...

Thanks in advance for this guide. For those who have had issues utilizing this guide, have you been able to correct the problem? Just want to make sure I don't completely jack up my phone.

EDIT: One other thing I wanted to ask concerns the so called "bloatware" that comes pre-installed on the phone. That was one main reason I wanted to root, to remove it. When the phone is rooted will I automatically be free to delete those like any other app? Or is there some program I have to get to accomplish this? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I'm new to rooting and decided to give it a try. I followed all the instructions and got my Captivate running 2.3.5 GingerBread to Download Mode but Odin simply doesn't recognize it. My phone is unharmed and I'm pretty sure my files aren't corrupt/downloaded improperly, how can I resolve this issue? I've tried using SuperOneClick and I've restarted my computer. Nothing.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I'm new to rooting and decided to give it a try. I followed all the instructions and got my Captivate running 2.3.5 GingerBread to Download Mode but Odin simply doesn't recognize it. My phone is unharmed and I'm pretty sure my files aren't corrupt/downloaded improperly, how can I resolve this issue? I've tried using SuperOneClick and I've restarted my computer. Nothing.

sucks doesnt it?

Upvote 0
I am finding after doing this, i can no longer install anything from the google play store.

on AT&T captivate. i was mainly doing this so i could fix the tetheringmanager crashing problem without needing to do a factory reset by either removing it or freezing it with titanium bu.

when i try to install anything from the store the progress bar appears and scrolls but doesn't make any progress, never downloads or installs anything.

any ideas on how to fix?

Edit: Never mind i just had to clear the cache for it, it's fine now.

thanks for the guide

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones