• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent Hype.

Rick... go visit her!!!! :mad:

I have been using Handcent since day one. I tried Chomp for a few days and actually really liked it. I was about to pay to get the ads removed...
but there was one feature that sent me back to Handcent.

I regularly send LONG text messages. Handcent automatically turns it into a nice MMS so it arrives in one message.
Chomp wouldn't do that (or i couldn't figure it out), and it breaks the message into dozens of little messages.
I emailed Chomp but got no reply... so they dont get my money:D....

Any know if there is a way to do this on Chomp?

she's at her mom's in NJ and i am stuck working in CA. i will be out there soon enough tho.

if you email them and want a response, you need to type "not faq" in the subject. i hardly ever send texts with more than 160 characters, so im not sure if this is possible.

How do you pay the two bucks to get rid of ads? That is the only thing I didn't like about chomp for the couple hours I played around with it...

while youre in chomp, go to menu>settings and look for the paypal logo up top. that should do it for ya.

Upvote 0
I use antibacterial so I don't have handcent.

LMAO. I had to think about it for a while... then the laughter started :D

I use handcent for the individual settings ... per-person signatures and per-person notifications. The fact that I can have texts to my kids signed differently than messages to my wife differently than messages to my parents differently than messages to other acquaintances is a big selling point for me. I couldn't find a way to do that in the stock app or in Chomp, so Handcent it is.

I did not know this.

*setting individual signatures*

Freakin awesome!

Upvote 0
I did not know this.

*setting individual signatures*

Freakin awesome!

Yes ... it is my ABSOLUTE favorite feature of Handcent. When in a conversation, tap settings and "Send message settings" ... very cool.

You can also have the way it deals with long texts differ by person ... Heck, my son (on his Eris) has different bubble settings for his girlfriend than for anyone else.

I don't notice significant lag, so I'm happy!

Upvote 0
I have had chomp for a few weeks now and I'm having a problem. This only happens sometimes and I cannot seem to replicate it on my own but I will have a send a reply to a conversation that I have going. Than I will go will hit "home" and if I decide to go back into the conversation to send another message to the same recipient, my last message will still be in the message box like I just retyped it or saved it as a draft(but it won't say draft). So then I have to go back and delete the characters and then type my next message. This only happens maybe a few times a day. Not horrible but a pain non the less.

Upvote 0
I have had chomp for a few weeks now and I'm having a problem. This only happens sometimes and I cannot seem to replicate it on my own but I will have a send a reply to a conversation that I have going. Than I will go will hit "home" and if I decide to go back into the conversation to send another message to the same recipient, my last message will still be in the message box like I just retyped it or saved it as a draft(but it won't say draft). So then I have to go back and delete the characters and then type my next message. This only happens maybe a few times a day. Not horrible but a pain non the less.
this happened to me recently. it only started with the latest update. email them. i already did and they asked me to take a video replicating it, but i never can. only happens once in a blue moon.

Upvote 0
I've downloaded Handcent and like it, but how do I disable the factory message feature? Every time I get a text I get a notification through Handcent AND the factory app. I'm probably an idiot, but I'd still appreciate any help.

You need to disable notifications in the stock message app. Settings>Uncheck Received notification. While you in there, make sure that the "Sent notification is unchecked as well.

Upvote 0
this happened to me recently. it only started with the latest update. email them. i already did and they asked me to take a video replicating it, but i never can. only happens once in a blue moon.

exactly. im not sure how to replicate it either. i wonder if there is a way that we can roll back to the last update? i will email them right after this. thanks for the response. at least im not alone in this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones