1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Handcent SMS?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by aliveon2legs, Jun 4, 2010.

1. aliveon2legs

aliveon2legs Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    What happened to it? It was one of the apps I was most looking forward to. I just picked up my EVO and I can't find Handcent SMS on the market.

:thinking:

Advertisement

2. NewbieX2

NewbieX2 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Exact same thing happened to me. I just got mine and can't find it :/

3. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    Youth Counselor
    PA
    Something is up with the market, and we don't know what. Handcent, LauncherPro, ADW, and something else I forget are all missing. Only seems to be affecting apps that "replace" stock HTC apps.

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    I aam using yr.no weather widget and am receiving a message when opening that HTC are claiming some rights to it.

It may be the case that HTC are now fighting those who make apps similar to those they created.

5. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Handcent doesn't infringe on any copyrights unless they don't want it to mention the "Hero" style.

6. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    same thing happened to me, i can see font packs for it tho.

7. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Regensburg, Germany
    No problems with Handcent here.. just updated to 3.03 as of today.

8. TheBiles

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Can you back it up then uninstall and try to find it again?

9. Rew

Rew Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    North East UK
  10. applejosh

applejosh Active Member

May 23, 2010
    I updated Handcent today, too. I'm hoping Google's issues are at least in part due to some upgrade to the App Market (like enabling the push to device stuff we saw in the I/O keynote). I can hope at least.

11. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Android addict
    in my brain
  12. k9cop

k9cop Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Same here. I've sent a message to the developer & haven't gotten a reply. Of course I've always got a Trojan alert going to the Handcent sight.:thinking:

13. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Military Pilot
    Mobile, AL
  14. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    You're not missing anything. I've been using Handcent since Nov on both my Droid as well as my wife's. Finally sick of the double messages every fourth message and the unbelievable length of time it took to load the stupid thing every time I needed to send someone a text I uninstalled it. I can't tell you how happy I am and only wish I had done this sooner or never even installed the stupid thing. Buggy as all get out and a battery drain too. Now my phone runs smoother/quicker, my message list is instant when I open it and I don't get any more double messages as well as no more FC's. If you haven't installed it.... don't. If you have it do yourself a favor and uninstall it. I kept waiting for the dev to make it better as in quicker and more stable and they're too busy adding holiday card MMS and crap like that. It's never going to get better so do yourself a favor and don't waste 6mos like I did. Get away from it now and never look back.

15. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Must admit I tried it and didn't like it. Receiving all messages twice (one in handcent, one in the standard messaging app) annoyed me too.

16. 02keilj

02keilj Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    You are supposed to make handcent the default messaging app and turn off the notifications in the stock app. This stops the double messages.
    As for it being slow and buggy. I have been using it for a few months now on many different roms and have never had a FC. It always loads quick and does what i need. From what i have heard from others they all enjoy it and have not had many (if any) problems with it.

17. TheBiles

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    You know that all you have to do is disable notifications in the stock app, right?

18. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Read what I said again... I was getting doubles about every fourth message, not every message. If I hadn't made it the default & disabled notifications I would be getting a double EVERY message. I've used it on many ROMs myself as well as my wife's non-rooted Droid with the same results. Again, I've been using it on two different versions of the same phone (one stock and barely used & the other anything but) and have had the same results. At first I liked the pop-up but quickly got sick of the Force Closes & interrupting of other things I was doing. I guess with all the troubles I and people I know have had I can't understand why anyone would even want to use it anymore. Is it because of the pretty colors?

19. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    I have been using the app for a long time and have NEVER had ONE double message. There are no reports of this issue which means it was something you did wrong.

If you do not know how to configure it, you will certainly find it useless. For me the quick reply feature is just perfect, no need to go to the messaging app just to answer a text is perfect.

20. Diesektor

Diesektor Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    <----Android newb here

At the risk of sounding dumb, if someone could explain how I would install this via USB from my comp I would be greatly appreciative. Like what folder would I put it in on my SD card and whatnot. I'll be searching for ways in the meantime.

*edit* Heh, not as dumb as I thought I was. I'm gonna stop asking questions til I've researched thouroughly first. And thanks for the response TheBiles.

21. TheBiles

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Download EStrong File Explorer from the Android Marketplace. Place the .apk file on the root of your SD card using USB. Navigate to the .apk file using ES and click it to install. Just make sure you go to Settings -> Applications and enable the installation of non-Market applications first.