• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

happy new year!

hello folks! i hope you are all off to a happy start in this 2013.

i find myself in this forum because i have:
T-Mobile G2 (stock gingerbread)
Mac OSX 10.8.2
and cannot figure out how to use the adb, sdk nor 'terminal' itself.

obviously i have been searching high and low to figure out my errors but i am simply lost and don't understand any of it. i have looked at the guides and i understand languages (electrical engineer). but i cannot figure out how to get things started. everything is file not found or incorrect directory... :thinking:

i am trying to go back down to froyo to go up to ICS... :p

any ideas? thanks in advance! :smokingsomb:

Welcome to the community.

Hopefully we can try and assist you with the issues you are having today.

Have you looked into rooting your device? Otherwise have you made sure that there are no ota updates that are released for your device that could update the software to ICS?

Hope you get the help you are looking for and thanks for joining :D

Upvote 0
the initial mission was to get to the ice cream or jelly beans. :D i will downgrade my OTA stock gingerbread t-mobile G2, back down to stock froyo. and then i will go up to an ICS ROM like CM10.1 (which leads to dead links for the G2 :thinking: ).

the initial problem on my mac was that terminal would not allow me access to the sdk manager. that permission denied was caused by a quarantine issue that mac started in 10.7.3. (i am no expert.) i sorted it out with a folder-wide
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine foldername.

now the sdk launches but i cannot seem to understand how to continue on to rooting. the biggest problem is that i am on a mac. strawmetal's lucid explanations orient me but i cannot keep up enough to code correctly in terminal. i will keep at it. but i am in os x 10.8.2.

i thank you for responding. be well! (and let me know if i'm dropping the ball and if you have a lead.) :rolleyes::D :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones