• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help - I don't understand the s-off instructions at all...

blh2012

Jun 24, 2012
So, these are the instructions I'm faced with on unlimited.io

(Optional) Perform a full backup and replace your sdcard with one that you are willing to wipe.
Ensure that your battery is fully charged.
Choose the correct download for your device and operating system
Extract the zip file to a new directory
Verify the MD5 checksum for your download
Read and/or watch the video for the device specific information for your device
Run controlbear as admin(windows) or root or using sudo on linux
Follow the on-screen instructions from ControlBear
Do not press any of the buttons on the phone during the process.
After doing the

Yes your phone needs to be connected to your PC.
My guess is that you are using windows thus make sure you have the right files.
You run controlbear.
yes your phone needs to be connected through the process.

The way I did it was to remove the battery case then have the phone plugged in and facing down my desk. The program [controlbear] is going to run through what it needs to run and then its going to tell you when to do the "wire-trick" , pay attention and be ready. it has taken us all a few tries as far as i know.
If there is someone out there that can do this on the first attempt, I'll buy them a beer.

Reactions: blh2012
Upvote 0
So, these are the instructions I'm faced with on unlimited.io

But I don't understand them at all.

• I've downloaded the file that has controlbear and the hboot, but I don't get instruction numbers 5, 6, or 7. It's not explained enough. Do I hook my phone up to my computer? Do I put any of the files I downloaded on my phone as well or just my computer?
  • Can someone please just break it down for me step by step? I really want to do s-off and I understand the wire trick. It's getting there that I can't comprehend at all.

Here is a video and written instructions that may help you.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rYGICQ&usg=AFQjCNE-anBT4s96Hr14WhbS42_9IK8dpQ

Reactions: blh2012
Upvote 0
congrats. after s-off are u still running rooted stock htc sense that the phone came with? or did you have to install another OS, and which one? I'm curious before i try to get s-off

I've gone through 4 different ROMS since becoming s-off lol. Being s-off opens up many more roms for our phones.

However, you do have to be running a stock sense rom when you attempt the s-off. It could either be the stock rom or another sense ROM. I was running MidnightRom when I did the s-off.

Reactions: nexgenasian
Upvote 0
I've gone through 4 different ROMS since becoming s-off lol. Being s-off opens up many more roms for our phones.

However, you do have to be running a stock sense rom when you attempt the s-off. It could either be the stock rom or another sense ROM. I was running MidnightRom when I did the s-off.

i meant rom, my bad. so midnightrom was installed first? did overclocking work in midnightrom before s-off? or does s-off necessary for OCing?

Upvote 0
Ok I'm having problems with this also, my first attempt I got it to backup, etc, etc. Then it rebooted my phone the juopunutBear came up on my screen. Then it kept searching for device 3 times and wouldn't connect saying I'm to install drivers (i assume I had the drivers) so I downloaded the drivers there is no installation file in it what do i do? I try running it again its telling me install driver and press Enter to exit.

The juopunutBear is now always on my screen even after I reboot the phone. How do I restore the backup?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones