• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help with overclocking.

if your rooted, your 90% there.

buy/download SetCPU (you can read all bout how to use it by searching exsitng threads here) as that is the best tool to use to OC your phone. you could just get that and stop there and OC your phone to 800mhz right off the bat and be done.

BUT, want to get above that? then, search threads here on "Kernels" and you pick a few kernels to download and try and away you go. those threads will link you to Kernels to try and explain how to load them and how to pick one. opinions about what kernel to try are like booty holes - everyone has one. you kind of have to read around and take the plunge and test some.

I will normally download 2-3 kernels of varying speeds, brands, voltages onto my SD card. Then, when I load one, if it is bad for my phone and unstable - causes boot loops or excessive heat or constant phone rebooting - I just boot into recovery and try the next one as if it is unstable, it will not likely let you boot into the phone so easier to boot into recovery and just load another kernel you preloaded to the SD card. this way, you have 2-3 on deck on the phone and can go from 1 to the next fast and easy until you find a stable one that works for you.

Upvote 0
How does a kernal set to 800mhz compare to just using SetCPU @ 800mhz?

There are devs that will have lower voltage kernels compared to stock. Ultra low and low. Obviously less heat and better battery life if your phone is able to run on low voltage. Also, other kernels will have different governor settings (ondemand, powersave, interactive, performance, etc.) for difference performance.

Upvote 0
Set Cpu works well. Personally, I would recommend getting ROM Manager, it only costs 3 or 4 dollars, and simplifies flashing kernels and ROMs (you don't have to rename things "update" or even connect it to your computer, and it also has CMRecovery, so that if you flash a kernel and it makes your phone unstable, you can flash it right back to where it was before. I use both SetCPU and ROM Manager, I've had SetCPU for quite awhile and you can use the profiles to monitor the temp of your CPU and slow it down, accordingly. Both apps are cheap (only a few dollars) and well worth it.
Note: There is a free version of ROM Manager, I forget what the difference is, you may want to try the free version first to see if it has what you need.

I use Rom Manager. BUT in this case, the only issue is that if a kernel craps on you and you cannot reboot into the phone, no way to get to Rom Manager.

so, with my method, 2-3 kernels manually loaded onto your sd card, if a kernel craps, you can boot into recovery and just flash a different kernel. this can be done in seconds.

this is why, when trying kernels, I manually load them (get them from the devs websites) onto my SD card and boot into recovery to load them and try them and I do not use ROM manager to do kernels.

Upvote 0
sevenstars sounds like your going way to far here.....

yes sure, what you say boots you into recovery and allows you to select a backup ROM to flash back to.. but no real reason to do that if the kernel is just a bad kernel for your phone. just because a kernel is no good for your phone does not mean you need to flash back to a backup ROM and go through all your outlining.

I see NO reason to do this as a general protocol. if you load a kernel and it takes a crap on you - causes boot loader loops, sticks at the M, kicks you into recovery, heats up and just keep restarting your phone, etc - it is likely the kernel you just installed is not compatible with your phone. why flash back a ROM just because of a kernel that does not work for you?? instead, just boot into recovery and install a different kernel and try again. which is why you put 2-3 on your SD card so you can just try the next one.

trust me, this is the way to do it.

then, once you find a kernel that works and is solid for your phone - like a petty proven ULV Chevy 1.0 or 1.1 - you always have that on your phone on the SD card as your defacto "goto" kernel. then, whenever you try a new kernel and if it craps on you, you just reinstall the "goto" kernel off the SD card and viola... your back.

and of course.. before flashing a new kernel do a ROM backup just to be safe. but the above protocol I outline I have used time and time again. I try kernels all the time and if they fail on me, I just flash back to my defacto "goto" kernel and Iam back... no reason to flash back to an old ROM, wiping and clean data and all of that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones