• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

help with widget not working

raceq

Lurker
Nov 14, 2016
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 5.x. I ran into some problems with using the dual clock widget. I have 2 launches on the phone the standard TouchWiz and the action3 launcher. I was testing using the action3 launcher and I tried to add the dual clock widget on desktop and it screwed things up. First add got empty box, second instance nothing, remove first box and would not allow add again. It stopped updating the multiple instances of the dual clock widget I had added in TouchWiz launcher. When you tapped the widget on the screen it did not open the window to select the city so it had no way to fix widget setup.

I followed the advice from other Threads and removed every widget, even removed the action 3 launcher and rebooted but the dual clock widget would still not work.

I don't think any other settings were changed that were significant, but I did move some apps back from the external SD card to the internal storage. The dual clock widget comes with the phone so I am assuming moving other apps around would not be relevant ?? I was testing with another app I have on the phone called quick shortcut - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut&hl=en

It allowed me to make two types of shortcuts available under dual clock entry and one of those shortcuts takes you to be setup screen for dual clock - not useful and the other just gave me a blank white screen - also not useful. After I had used them once the next time I added the widget it behaved correctly again in TouchWiz but still would not work with the action 3 launcher. As this glitch (that this one widget stopped working properly everywhere) only happened once and I have not been able to repeat the process I did to fix it, so I am sharing this in case this may help others with broken widget problems - YMMV.

So if you have problem widget not showing a settings screen when it is tapped poking around with shortcut maker may help. Please post a comment if you find it fixes issues. The method is unlikely to work for everyone's widget issue but give it a go if you've tried everything else.

I found thread http://androidforums.com/threads/widgets-not-updating.643316/ useful.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones