• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I update a rooted phone with stock rom?

Hey guys, I managed to successfully flash a stock rom and root my moto 9 g plus. Now I'm just wondering how I do the security updates/patches for my phone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks!
just flash a custom rom that has the update included. if there is no dev support, then you need to unroot and update the phone.....and hope that the update can still be rooted.

tbh there really is no need to worry about security updates on a phone that is rooted. being rooted gets rid of admin rights and allows you to read and write on the system.....basically allowing you to alter the os. this is a very vulnerable state for a phone. it means that anybody can make changes to your phone.....so you see security updates are rather pointless with rooted phones as your phone is already vulnerable.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
just flash a custom rom that has the update included. if there is no dev support, then you need to unroot and update the phone.....and hope that the update can still be rooted.

tbh there really is no need to worry about security updates on a phone that is rooted. being rooted gets rid of admin rights and allows you to read and write on the system.....basically allowing you to alter the os. this is a very vulnerable state for a phone. it means that anybody can make changes to your phone.....so you see security updates are rather pointless with rooted phones as your phone is already vulnerable.

Ahh okay I wasn't really aware of that, one less thing to worry about doing. So do people with rooted phones take any kind of extra precautions? Like antivirus/malware apps?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ahh okay I wasn't really aware of that, one less thing to worry about doing. So do people with rooted phones take any kind of extra precautions? Like antivirus/malware apps?
no need for anti-viruses as there really are not any for android.....malware, yes.....but not viruses.

i have had rooted phones and non rooted android phones, since day one....and....i never have seen a use for anti-virus/malware programs. as long as you know what you are installing and you use common sense, you should be fine.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
no need for anti-viruses as there really are not any for android.....malware, yes.....but not viruses.

i have had rooted phones and non rooted android phones, since day one....and....i never have seen a use for anti-virus/malware programs. as long as you know what you are installing and you use common sense, you should be fine.

Good to know. Thanks for all of your help! Very much appreciated!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones