• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to bypass "tethering block" on Three network?

But when I use the same data sim in my phone then I can't do tethering.
I TAKE IT SIMPLY AS THE CROOKEDNESS OF THE CARRIERS. Otherwise I don't see any difference between using the sim in mobile router or phone.

I'm guessing there's like a signalling between the carrier(3) and your phone, "Tethering, Y or N?" That's based on the above information. The mobile router is purely a data device, and all it can do is have other devices connecting to it, and so there's no need to signal is tethering allowed or not. That's just a guess based on what I know.

Not sure if it's really about carriers been crooks or not, because this whole business of paying for tethering only seems to affect unlimited data plans. With metered and limited data plans, you pay for say 3GB, they don't care how you use it, you want more you have to pay for it. With unlimited, they might working on the assumption that if you're using a computer you could be torrenting hundreds of gigabytes of movies or something. Something you're much less likely to be doing on a phone.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing there's like a signalling between the carrier(3) and your phone, "Tethering, Y or N?" That's based on the above information. The mobile router is purely a data device, and all it can do is have other devices connecting to it, and so there's no need to signal is tethering allowed or not. That's just a guess based on what I know.

Not sure if it's really about carriers been crooks or not, because this whole business of paying for tethering only seems to affect unlimited data plans. With metered and limited data plans, you pay for say 3GB, they don't care how you use it, you want more you have to pay for it. With unlimited, they might working on the assumption that if you're using a computer you could be torrenting hundreds of gigabytes of movies or something. Something you're much less likely to be doing on a phone.

I am on limited data plan but still I can't do tethering... Isn't it crookedness? Nobody exactly knows that why the carriers are doing this?

Upvote 0
I am on limited data plan but still I can't do tethering... Isn't it crookedness? Nobody exactly knows that why the carriers are doing this?

That sounds crooked. I used to be on 3 before I moved to China, and now use China Mobile, metered data but don't pay extra for tethering.

I've always thought of 3 as been similar to one of those discount airlines, like Ryanair. The basic service is cheap, but then they'll find ways to charge you extras in any way they can. Like the basic fare is very cheap, but then you have to pay for a boarding pass if you don't print it yourself, charge you a packet for any checked luggage, as well as charging for in-flight meals, etc. Sounds like 3 is charging you more for using say 3GB with a computer, than using 3GB with a phone.

Upvote 0
I didn't sign any contract with the carrier, neither there is any extra fee mentioned for tethering in my country. But still I can't tether.

It may not have been a piece of paper, but when that sim was activated on your carriers network their most definitely is an agreement between the the customer (you) and the service provider (carrier). Most countries outside the good ol' US of A permit tethering as far as I know, so unless you've got a US phone that's got a tethering block baked into the OS, then your problem is something else.

Upvote 0
Yeah by law you're right but surely you agree that that's a bit shitty mate?
I don't, actually.
Seriously slug??
well id say youd be pretty lonely in that opinion mate lol ;-)

No, not really. Those big faceless evil carrier monopolies that kick puppies and steal babies' treats put a lot of money and effort into building the wireless infrastructure and are entitled to charge a fair price for the service. We are, after all talking about what is a convenience and a luxury, not food and shelter.

Upvote 0
Tethering would only work on non windows devices (I guess ) I installed Mac os on my PC and tethering was working like a charm. I used about 20GB a day without any problems. I used USB tethering option. Then I tried on Ubuntu (linux) and it works as well. As soon as I connect to Windows, my internet connection gets blocked.

Upvote 0
Tethering would only work on non windows devices (I guess ) I installed Mac os on my PC and tethering was working like a charm. I used about 20GB a day without any problems. I used USB tethering option. Then I tried on Ubuntu (linux) and it works as well. As soon as I connect to Windows, my internet connection gets blocked.
We are talking about mobile tethering. But good to know about computer tethering.

Upvote 0
So it means that there is some internal block in the Android of mobile phones like Windows?

No, the inference is that Windows devices somehow inhibit tethering.

I can't verify this myself as my only current Windows system is this desktop which isn't wifi-enabled, but I certainly managed to tether a WinXP laptop to an Android phone (running 4.2.2) a couple of years ago.

Reactions: apple2005
Upvote 0
im currently on the internet 500 with all you can eat data and i have just moved house and my broadband want be active till 23rd is there anyway off bypass the 3 tether block i dont want to download or stream i just want to be able to go on xbox live my phone is experia z/
ive tried pdanet,ive tried free vpn for phone and pc ive changed my user agent and n0thing i do can bypass this i rang three and they said i can buy 1gb hotspot allowence for 5 pounds and i explained i have all you can eat why cant i tether he said we dont allow that . please i hope theres a way of getting past the block also i dont undersdtand why three alow me to download as many gbs on my phone (used aruond 15gb this month) as i want yet wont let me tether ... cheers in advanc e

Upvote 0
Might want to have a look at this lengthy thread, it's all about the 3 UK tethering block.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/542650/

@Funkylogik if you're just tethering Android devices, 3 probably don't see any difference. Think they're trying to stop PC users abusing the "unlimited" plan, with downloading 100s GBs of movies or something. If they suspect one is using desktop Windows or something, that's it.

AFAICT 3 UK is the only carrier that does this kind of tethering block. Sure in the US, if tethering is not allowed, hotspot functionality is disabled on the phone itself, so can't tether anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
If you're rooted, I would give this a try. It's experimental, but it's worked out of the box for my last two phones, ZTE Reef and Desire 816. Also, did I mention it's old? https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

Edit: Oh... That type of block, that's not something I have experience in. I guess I should have read up a little more

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might want to have a look at this lengthy thread, it's all about the 3 UK tethering block.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/542650/

@Funkylogik if you're just tethering Android devices, 3 probably don't see any difference. Think they're trying to stop PC users abusing the "unlimited" plan, with downloading 100s GBs of movies or something. If they suspect one is using desktop Windows or something, that's it.

AFAICT 3 UK is the only carrier that does this kind of tethering block. Sure in the US, if tethering is not allowed, hotspot functionality is disabled on the phone itself, so can't tether anything.
Ah right cheers mate :thumbsupdroid:
Thing is though, I could easy burn through 100gb lol tablet or pc.... I don't get why they draw a distinction. Plenty tethering apps on android

Upvote 0
i dont undersdtand why three alow me to download as many gbs on my phone (used aruond 15gb this month) as i want yet wont let me tether

One reason is that the mobile phone tariffs are calculated based on average smartphone usage, and tethering invariably incurs larger bandwidth usage. Another reason may be because Three also offer very competitive data-only tariffs intended for other devices, so they've no desire to cannibalise their potential customer base.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones