• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Flash / Debrand your Desire

i have just done my desire & an update appears thats not even available to the orange branded rom, personally i can see froyo for orange taking forever. Well worth the time switching to a standard htc rom
was it all straight forward mate? I'm having issues big style, cand get the serial number (or whatever it is) when setting up adb, just says list of devices but its blank, i so much want to debrand this fu**er, i dont want to be waiting ages for 2.2, in fact if froyo is released and orange dont update then im going to tell them that my direct debit will be getting stopped until i get the update :mad:

Upvote 0
was it all straight forward mate? I'm having issues big style, cand get the serial number (or whatever it is) when setting up adb, just says list of devices but its blank, i so much want to debrand this fu**er, i dont want to be waiting ages for 2.2, in fact if froyo is released and orange dont update then im going to tell them that my direct debit will be getting stopped until i get the update :mad:
Yes it was all straight forward, just follow the steps & take your time

Upvote 0
i think im having driver issues, when i open devices manager it shows android USB devices and underneath that it has "My HTC" but it has a yellow triangle with an ! inside it! I think this is stopping me from getting the CID number, i have uninstalled HTC sync and the drivers, reinstalled them all again but still no joy, i just want to flash my Phone and get shut of this orange crap, but why cant i do it? Someone please help me.

Thanks

ps, tried to update driver software, but windows keep telling me that it has determined that my driver software is up to date!

sorry, the yellow triangle and exclamation mark was to tell me that i have USB debugging enabled! duh! i still cant get my cid number though

Upvote 0
i think im having driver issues, when i open devices manager it shows android USB devices and underneath that it has "My HTC" but it has a yellow triangle with an ! inside it! I think this is stopping me from getting the CID number, i have uninstalled HTC sync and the drivers, reinstalled them all again but still no joy, i just want to flash my Phone and get shut of this orange crap, but why cant i do it? Someone please help me.

Thanks

ps, tried to update driver software, but windows keep telling me that it has determined that my driver software is up to date!

sorry, the yellow triangle and exclamation mark was to tell me that i have USB debugging enabled! duh! i still cant get my cid number though

Make sure you have the latest version of htc sync & double check everything as you go.

When you finally get the rom installed don't upgrade the phone to 1.21.405.2 update the wifi can't start for some reason i had to go back through the flashing process twice since. Not sure why it doesn't like the update tried everything from factory reset to removing battery to restart, may be just as isolated issue with my phone or something to do with orange proprietary lock.

Upvote 0
Make sure you have the latest version of htc sync & double check everything as you go.

When you finally get the rom installed don't upgrade the phone to 1.21.405.2 update the wifi can't start for some reason i had to go back through the flashing process twice since. Not sure why it doesn't like the update tried everything from factory reset to removing battery to restart, may be just as isolated issue with my phone or something to do with orange proprietary lock.

I wish i could get to the install ROM mate!! I cant even get adb set up properly, i have checked, and double checked as i go along, HTC sync uninstalled and re-downloaded from HTC.com same with drivers. When i follow the steps on setting up adb i cant get the number to show up in the list of devices. So i wouldn't be able to make a gold card as you need the CID number dont you? I'm pulling my hair out here :eek::eek:

Upvote 0
I wish i could get to the install ROM mate!! I cant even get adb set up properly, i have checked, and double checked as i go along, HTC sync uninstalled and re-downloaded from HTC.com same with drivers. When i follow the steps on setting up adb i cant get the number to show up in the list of devices. So i wouldn't be able to make a gold card as you need the CID number dont you? I'm pulling my hair out here :eek::eek:

Have you dowloaded & installed AndroidSDK on your pc i unzipped that to my c drive then clicked on set up & installed all packages. Just a thought as i don't see anything in the instructions about doing this it just says unzip, try doing it that way but also once installed copy the contents of the inner folder to the outer one.

Upvote 0
Have you dowloaded & installed AndroidSDK on your pc i unzipped that to my c drive then clicked on set up & installed all packages. Just a thought as i don't see anything in the instructions about doing this it just says unzip, try doing it that way but also once installed copy the contents of the inner folder to the outer one.
Yes did this, as i thought it may be the reason, i didnt try to install all packages though, just the USB driver package, i will give that another try with all packages.

Thanks

Dont know if this has anything to do with it or not, but when i open devices manager, and click on MY HTC and view the properties, i get this in the small text box

Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
I have followed the "check for solutions" but it still is the same. but if i go down to portable devices in the devices manager and check the "android phone" properties it says that the devices is working properly....? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Have you tried uninstalling the device driver & installing the manual version for your device/computer os, as it does mention that sometimes the driver needs to be manually installed
well actually i did try this, i even downloaded the Nexus one drivers from the unlockr page that the OP linked in his first post, as there was no option to download desire drivers, but when i am prompted to search on my PC for drivers and i navigate to the relevant folder, and click on the actual folder, it says "no items match your search" I'm not one to ask on forums for help, but in this case i have tried everything and followed instructions to the letter.

Thanks for trying to help anyway anoniemouse.

Upvote 0
I have a question regarding orange branded phones.
According to the OP i should have Game Demos, Orange World and no talk on my cellphone (HTC Desire is orange locked) for it to show signs of branding, but I don't. I actually have talk and no sign of any orange stuff on it.

I've got my desire last week from Orange romania and I have confirmed its locked but I'm not really sure if its branded, my internet app is named "Internet" no custom IM and standard Maps app ... I'm a bit confused do I need a Gold Card to root or no? All my prev phones i've got from orange shown signs of branding but this one kinda surprised me.

I've also seen this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZ9YlH78CI
my package was the standard HTC one (white) with a little sticker on it "Terminal locked in orange network" and "No romania language package" (thank god)

Upvote 0

When I tried to upgrade to 1.21, my PC didn't see my phone at all. I reinstalled drivers etc, etc, but what worked was to install HTC Sync. You can download a copy from the HTC website :

HTC Desire - Software Download

Give that a go, hope it works for you.

Upvote 0
When I tried to upgrade to 1.21, my PC didn't see my phone at all. I reinstalled drivers etc, etc, but what worked was to install HTC Sync. You can download a copy from the HTC website :

HTC Desire - Software Download

Give that a go, hope it works for you.
ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Just my luck this! No matter what i try, i just cannot get this shizzle to work!! Tried your suggestion SJamG, uninstalled HTC sync, restarted PC installed it again (same with the driver installer) I have also seen that HTC sync only works with a 2.0 USB, well i have one on my PC, as i have checked in the device manager, but how do i determine which is the 2.0 slot? I have 2 slots on the front, and 4 at the back, no matter which one i plug my phone into it just will not connect to HTC sync!

I blame Orange!! lol :(

Upvote 0
ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Just my luck this! No matter what i try, i just cannot get this shizzle to work!! Tried your suggestion SJamG, uninstalled HTC sync, restarted PC installed it again (same with the driver installer) I have also seen that HTC sync only works with a 2.0 USB, well i have one on my PC, as i have checked in the device manager, but how do i determine which is the 2.0 slot? I have 2 slots on the front, and 4 at the back, no matter which one i plug my phone into it just will not connect to HTC sync!

I blame Orange!! lol :(

This may be a silly answer but my HTC sync wouldnt recognise my phone until I switched to HTC sync mode on the phone rather than USB charge only
. Just a thought

Upvote 0
Just a thought, but when you plug your phone in, select the "Disk Drive" option on the phone and see if it mounts in Windows.

This is really strange, if it does, then I reckon that the PC has got itself all mixed up with the ADB driver side of things, if it does not mount, then I would be thinking the actual drivers for the phone need re-installed. What OS are you using?

I would try a different PC if I were you.

Sorry you are having issues, especially when others are having success :(

Upvote 0
Just a thought, but when you plug your phone in, select the "Disk Drive" option on the phone and see if it mounts in Windows.

This is really strange, if it does, then I reckon that the PC has got itself all mixed up with the ADB driver side of things, if it does not mount, then I would be thinking the actual drivers for the phone need re-installed. What OS are you using?

I would try a different PC if I were you.

Sorry you are having issues, especially when others are having success :(
Sometimes auto-play opens when i connect the phone to the PC but sometimes it doesn't, but if i go to Computer and open the drive that the phone is connected to it will open OK, i have even tried another supposed solution that HTC sent to someone here http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/64808-htc-sync-cant-find-my-phone.html#post603376 But even that didnt work.... although it did speed up my system a bit :D I am using windows vista Home premium 32 bit. Apparently this is a common issue with the phone not being able to connect with HTC sync.

does adb have to be working to flash/debrand? and if i cant get my CID number when entering the commands in the cmd terminal does that mean that adb is not installed correctly?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Has anyone who has successfully managed to debrand/flash to the unbranded 1.15 found that their 3g internet problems have gone away? I'm desperate to sort my phone out and am pretty sure that its the crappy Orange ROM that is screwed, but don't want to flash (I understand you can't go back to the Orange version) find it's still not working, and then not being able to send my phone back to orange again for repair/replacement.
Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
Mine seems to switch from HSDPA to 3G and vice versa without any problems. I did have all sorts of problems with my previous Desire (callers not hearing me and data switching problems), so got a replacement from Orange...I sent the debranded phone back to Orange and have not heard anything back.....YET! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones