• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get by Google password after factory reset?

lucient

Lurker
Jul 6, 2017
I had recently sold my tablet and today received a call that the Google account protection refuses the new owner into the tablet at all costs. The problem is I cannot remember the user or the password I had used for that tablet because I filled it up with one of my many spam emails as I do not like having everything synced up. So I ask you what can I do in this situation? I honestly was not anticipating such rigorous and somewhat intrusive protection.

I honestly was not anticipating such rigorous and somewhat intrusive protection.
It's an anti-theft system. Prior to this a thief only had to factory reset the device (which they could do from recovery regardless of any protection you added) and they were free to use or sell it, so the password protected your data but not the device. So if there was a way of getting past it without knowing the credentials then it would cease to be useful as an anti-theft measure.

It's been standard on all new devices for about 3 years now. For future reference, you should remove the account from the device before resetting (many articles on the web about "factory reset protection"), but that won't help you now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones