• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev

Great guide scotty, thumbs up! Followed most of your guide and replies but still and need your help bud :)

Updated and unlocked my Hboot and now it's on 29 with S-Off.

I perma-flashed CWM recovery, installed SuperUser and flashed the latest version of SVHD ROM through recovery and everything completed without giving me any errors, then launched the kernel provided with the ROM by entering " fastboot boot boot.img " and restarted the phone.

After the HTC logo with a white background the screen goes black as if the ROM can't boot.

Could this be a SuperUser issue or a S-Off issue or CWM issue? I'm not sure if SVHD requires S-On to function properly and it's nowhere mentioned on the thread either.

Advice required please!

im not familiar with that rom,so im not sure why youve fastboot booted the boot image.

fastboot boot boot.img is launching the kernel directly into phone memory,and not permantly installing it. s on vs s off shouldnt really matter as far as the rom goes,its just a matter of install procedure.

most roms are scripted for s off flashing,i.e.,the recovery can flash the boot image. since you are s off,you shouldnt need to do anything more than full wipe,flash the rom,reboot.

if the rom in question is geered toward the s on crowd(wich would be odd,IMO),then its possible the boot image may not be installed by recovery. in this case, the boot image will need manually installed,wether s on,or s off.

fastboot booting the kernel should have started the rom,as long as you had prior installed a compatible system image. doing this,however,youll need to hook to the pc and fastboot boot boot.img every time you need to reboot :eek:

permantly installing it would be better:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

if you want to link the rom ill have a look,but off the top of my head,double check md5s and make sure you have good downloads of the kernel and rom,make sure you wipe data/cache/dalvik when flashing. also make sure you give the rom plenty of time on the first boot(as much as 15 minutes) as it will be longer.

Upvote 0
I just want to say thanks. I have been all over the web and have tried countless methods for rooting my phone (AT&T HTC Inspire 4G shipped with Gingerbread 2.3.3). Ace Hack didn't work. Revoked3 doesn't support ace. And until now, I couldn't get the htcdev method to work either. And for some reason, HTC support doesn't list the Inspire anymore, go figure.

Here's where I went wrong:

- ADB will NOT detect your device in fastboot, only when booted into the ROM. This wouldn't have been a problem, had I followed the instructions on this thread properly. :eek:

- The phone MUST be plugged into a cord which is plugged DIRECTLY into a USB port on your computer. Mine was through a hub at first, and the htcdev unlock would freeze up every time upon sending the unlock code.

My phone is now unlocked and I have verified that it is rooted (didn't want to start the celebration prematurely). The method in this thread works, very nicely done!

Upvote 0
Successfully rooted my father's old HTC Inspire 4G, had some difficulty getting it to work.

Had a few exceptions.

Your Mirror for the drivers is dead, this is the message I received.
MediaFire said:
File Download Blocked

The file you attempted to download has been previously claimed by a copyright holder through a valid DMCA request and cannot be downloaded.
Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.
It might be useful to tell users to follow you instead of the HTCdev instructions a little more clearer as I was derailed quite a few times. Specifically in Step 1.

I had an issue on Step 10 on HTCdev's side, where my Token would not be identified, I forgot to remove the INFO prefixes on the side of the token extraction, as well on the <<>> parenthesis.
laugh.gif

I then had another issue where pulling the aces image from the .zip file into my adb folder, where check sum would continue to give errors. I didn't see the two word warning to remove the image file, then rename it to your instructions.
megamanderp.png

Finally, after all of this, I was able to go through it, now I have an unlocked and rooted phone. *Two years late and still on Gingerbread...*(Deleted Blockbuster Application, along with Twitter, so far, so good.)

Well...now I have a decommissioned phone on my hands. What do I do now?
meh.png

(The phone also seems to have suffered some damage, not by this procedure, but from previous abuse of being dropped and kicked, vibration no longer works, as well as the Volume Keys are losing contact with the phone. Any advice on how to repair these hardware issues would be welcome.
laugh.gif
)

Thank you once again scotty85 for this guide. Is it wrong that I read all of your messages in the voice of Dexter?

Upvote 0
awsome! glad it was helpful. sorry about the driver mirror error,not sure what that was about... i tried to download it just now and seems to be working fine still for me.

just holler if you have any further questions :)
This link you have, continues to give me the same error. MediaFire - Online Space for your documents, photos, videos, and music.

I assume after acquiring S-OFF from your other thread, that I would have to redo the Root Process? I went ahead and ran it once more. I have to say, I am enjoying learning about this quite a bit.

pquA3KR.jpg

I responded in that same thread as well.

Upvote 0
thanks for this. i appreciate your help. i'm a complete noob but i got thru step 1, i think. i don't understand what the hboot screen is for or how to get to it or why it suddenly got brought up in the middle of step 1...

*check your hboot screen. if you allready have an htc compatible hboot, then skip ahead to the next step,you dont need this.if you have a pink **locked** at the top of the hboot screen,then it is compatible with htcdev. if you dont have a compatible hboot,then download the RUU for the new hboot. right click it,and run as administrator. plug in your phone when prompted to. it will ugrade your hboot to the htcdev unlock compatible version.

...but my phone does now say ****Unlocked**** on the fastboot screen. i seemed to have gotten thru the first step without hboot. followed all the steps.

then i got to the flash a recovery part. when i saw "fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img" i got lost. the only .img file i have is the ace_recovery_ext_4.img file that i got from one of the zips. i'm not sure what to put as the "recoveryname" because i don't have a "recovery", i don't know what it is, and i didn't know i needed it until i read:

temporarily launch your recovery to phone memory

so my questions are:
1. what do i put as "recoveryname"?
2. how is the hboot screen different from the fastboot screen?
3. should my fastboot screen say s-off after completing step 1? cause it doesn't. it stills says s-on. maybe that comes later? not sure why it's important.

NOTE - i'm actually only doing all of this so that i can use my phone with t-mobile. so when i'm done rooting i'll need to figure out how to disable the SIM card lock as well. that's the end goal. at&t isn't helping with the sim unlock code.

Upvote 0
then i got to the flash a recovery part. when i saw "fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img" i got lost. the only .img file i have is the ace_recovery_ext_4.img file that i got from one of the zips. i'm not sure what to put as the "recoveryname" because i don't have a "recovery", i don't know what it is, and i didn't know i needed it until i read:

so my questions are:
1. what do i put as "recoveryname"? whatever the name of your image is. from above,you would use:

fastboot flash recovery ace_recovery_ext_4.img

or

fastboot boot ace_recovery_ext_4.img

depending on wether you want permanent or temporary recovery.

2. how is the hboot screen different from the fastboot screen?
hboot and fastboot are different modes of the bootloader:
hboot is the mode where you can flash files from the sd card
fastboot is the mode where you can communicate with the command window

the screens have differenr menus,and will say either "hboot usb" or "fastboot usb" under the bootloader info while plugged in

3. should my fastboot screen say s-off after completing step 1? cause it doesn't. it stills says s-on. maybe that comes later? not sure why it's important.
no. s off is not part of this guide at all. this is only unlocking the bootloader to install recovery and root access.
NOTE - i'm actually only doing all of this so that i can use my phone with t-mobile. so when i'm done rooting i'll need to figure out how to disable the SIM card lock as well. that's the end goal. at&t isn't helping with the sim unlock code.
the other guide will leave you sim unlocked. using it on t mobile is no prollem,but be aware that an inspire on t mobile only gets edge data unless youre in a refarm area.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
As so many others in the posts above have said, it's been such a relief to find a *true* step-by-step guide that doesn't take users part way through the process to only leave them stranded. Having had this pretty much all day, and on the verge of giving up, it was great to find a guide that did exactly what you'd hope!

Anyway, I now have an unlocked Desire HD with 4EXT Recovery Touch in place!

Ideally I'd like to install a ROM with Android 4, but I'm not 100% sure how I check for compatibility. I have got cm-JellyTime_R17 on the SD card, but when I tried to install it I just got stuck on the HTC screen. Thought I'd bricked it, but booting in recovery mode brings up 4EXT Recovery again (so hopefully I haven't!)

Can you point me in the right direction please? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can you point me in the right direction please? Thanks!

Hello;

I hope I explain this well,

Once you flash the ROM of your choice, you have to open the "ROM name".zip and you will see a boot.img. Drag that file to your desktop, so you can flash it to the phone.

You simply need to take that boot.img and flash it via fastboot. You will need to set up ADB if you want to be able to do that via the command prompt (presuming you are using windows)

The command you will need is as follows:

I flash a ton of ROMs and have made a simple folder, that does not require ADB setup, just extract the "Flash_boot_img.zip" to anywhere on your desktop.
Then you simply take the boot.img from the ROM you've installed and replace the one currently inside the folder. (Don't use the one that is inside the folder currently, it is from one of the ROMs I've installed)

I just drag and drop. Then run the "RUN ME to flash boot img.bat"
(You will need to be in fastboot mode, or it will just say, "Waiting for device")

https://copy.com/aLy8J19oxRiw (This is like a portable ADB for flashing the boot.img)

All of the ROMs for the Desire HD and the Inspire 4G are compatible, if you have the Inspire 4G, you need to flash the Inspire Mod.zip (It is my understanding that this corrects the branding, and the dual mic)

Any time you try a new ROM, you will need to repeat this process, and use that ROMs boot.img after you install the ROM.

In 4ext you can select "Power Options" then "Reboot into Bootloader" after you install a ROM for easy boot.img flashing.

Then wait about 2-5 minutes for the ROM to first load.

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
You flash the Rom.zip via the Recovery mode.

Once you have flashed the ROM, you need to flash the boot.img again.

The above instructions are simply for the boot.img that you will find inside the ROM.zip

What OS are you using?

I don't know of a way to flash the boot.img without a PC of some sort; Windows. Mac or Linux.
-That's not to say that it cant be done, I'm sure it can.

**If that is what you need, send me a PM and I will try to help you, that way we don't hijack this thread. **

**Edit 2: I've done a quick look around the web, and cannot find a way to flash it without a computer. **

With S-off this becomes irrelevant, when you flash a ROM, it flashes the boot.img with it. I have not done this yet.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I think there's something else that I haven't got quite right then - when I choose Fastboot from the recovery menu, some green text flashes up very quickly. It seems to refer to PD98IMG and says something like "No image or wrong image" - could that be why I get stuck on the HTC screen when I try to boot?

(There IS an image on there, but it's called PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.img as per the instructions at the beginning of the thread)

Sorry for the n00b questions. I think I'm 95% there, just need a prompt for the final 5%!

Upvote 0
alternately,you can simply drag the boot image into your miniadb folder. from there,flash the rom from your sd card,making sure to always back up a good running rom. after the backup,wipe:
-data/factory reset
-cache
-dalvik cache

then use ext 4 option to reboot to bootloader. this will take you to fastboot.

then flash the boot image as described above

you can simply delete the boot images from your miniadb folder,or name them according to the rom,example from above- boot-cm-JellyTime_R17

the name of the image does not matter,just that you name the correct name when you flash. i.e.,

fastboot flash boot boot-cm-JellyTime_R17.img

if you flash a rom with a different boot image,then you will have to reflash the boot image that matches your nandroid in order to restore it.

last and not least,after youve flashed a couple roms and have some confidence,move on to the other guide to achieve s off. it will make rom flashing much,much easier,in addition to givning you supercid so that recovery from soft bricks is easier since you can then flash any factory software-not just what your phone came with.

just holler if you ahve questions :)

Upvote 0
OK, I am *definitely* making progress as I got the multi-coloured "X" that is familiar to me from my Nexus and am now seeing a screen with a gently pulsing message of JellyTime!

I'm not sure if it takes a longer while on first boot to come up, but I'm going to call it a day now as I'm worn out and hopefully can get to the last bits tomorrow!

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know / ask more (as appropriate)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
OK, I am *definitely* making progress as I got the multi-coloured "X" that is familiar to me from my Nexus and am now seeing a screen with a gently pulsing message of JellyTime!

I'm not sure if it takes a longer while on first boot to come up, but I'm going to call it a day now as I'm worn out and hopefully can get to the last bits tomorrow!

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know / ask more (as appropriate)

If you see that, you are good to go; it should take about 4 minutes for it to boot, give or take a few minutes. (the first time always takes way longer)

Enjoy flashing ROMs.

:D

Upvote 0
I reckon I was over tired last night when I was trying! Tried again just now and I now have JellyTime up and running on my HTC DHD!!

Thanks again for your help (and patience on this). I wonder if you can indulge a newbie with a couple more questions:

1. It looks like I install "Google Gapps" to get similar functionality to Play Store - is that correct?
2. Now it's unlocked, what do I need to look for in ROMs to see if they are compatible? (or are they all?)
3 (I just thought of another one!) Can I have more than one ROM on the phone at a time and change which one I boot to?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Yes, for most ROMs you will need to install Gapps. The link is usually provided on the page where you downloaded the ROM. You will need the Gapps version for the ROM you've installed.

I believe with S-on, it is difficult to switch between two ROM backups easily(I did this often with my Fusion 2). If you follow the guide to get S-off, you should be able to make ROM backups, and switch between them to your hearts content. (Please correct me if I am wrong here)

As for ROM compatibility, it should say it is for the HTC Desire HD, HTC Inspire 4G, or HTC Ace.

(I hope its cool to post a XDA link) - This is where I find most of my ROMs.

Desire HD Android Development - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I believe with S-on, it is difficult to switch between two ROM backups easily(I did this often with my Fusion 2). If you follow the guide to get S-off, you should be able to make ROM backups, and switch between them to your hearts content. (Please correct me if I am wrong here)

its the same process as flashing a new rom,with restoring the backup in place of flashing the rom
-remove boot image from nandroid after trasnfering the nandroid to the pc
-boot to recovery
-full wipe
-restore nandroid
-boot to bootloader
-flash boot image via prefered means(i just fastboot flash boot boot.img as i described above)

s off makes things a bunch easier,as the recovery can then write the boot image,so seperate flashing is not needed. simply wipe,flash rom or restore nandroid.

s off also lets you change other parts of the firmware,and lets you run other factory firmwares making recovery of softbricked devices.

however,s off will let you brick the phone if youd like to ;)

IMO as long as you are careful to check file integrity via md5 sums,and careful what you flash, s off is better.

Upvote 0
ok ignore below I found the cache clears are in ext4 doh!
that was all that stumped me, I am now rooted, fantastic work guys thank you so much.

---------------------------------------------------------
hi, I am a total newb but I think I completed all the steps correctly up to step 3 where I have got lost. I have s=on, unlocked pinky. htc desire hd A9191

I have completed the temporary recovery, i have made a backup in ext4,
it all worked as stated but I don't know how to wipe caches as mentioned.

I tried to install supersuv1.65.zip and when run says it can't find the binary.

can anyone help me please, I am so close.

----------------

there is not much to explain with this one. if booted to recovery from above,use the recovery menu on your phone to:
-make a backup of your stock,unrooted rom. completely optional,but a very good idea,IMO.
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik cache
-install zip from sd card(chose your superuser file)
-reboot

*congratulations,youre rooted :D"
----------------------

Steve

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
-superuser files: for GB or ICS,use the latest superSU from this thread on xda (the download link is where is says: CWM installable ZIP: CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip )
The thread exists, but there is not a download link of an installable ZIP.
If I search for CWM, I come on a line that has a link to a downloadpage:
SuperSU Download
But alas, everything overthere that is clickable, links to te PlayStore.
Maybe you want to update your text.

I have read this warning:
an extremely common error is to not follow the above directions to flash the zip file in recovery,but to attempt to download and and install from the market.
So I'm stuck. No installable ZIP of that ame .
Where can I find it?
There is one link "Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.75.zip "
I have downloaded that ZIP, but the

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones