• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case

I got my HTC 2150mAH battery today from VZW. It's HUGE, but I've been thinking about how to make it more streamlined since I heard about it. Enter my dremel work.

Dremel out the rear of the VZW snap case to match the bulge on the new battery door. Sand it down smooth, and here you have it. It's pretty nice feeling, and it doesn't bulge out too much. It's still bulkier than before, however if you had a protective case already it isn't much of a difference.

Now, my phone looks good and holds a charge longer.

View attachment 6242

View attachment 6243

View attachment 6246

View attachment 6247

View attachment 6245

How much was the battery and door??

Upvote 0
Is that the red "snap on hard cover", VZW6300COVRED? I picked up one at my local Verizon store this afternoon, thinking I'd get my Dremel out and try the mod if I got time. But when I opened the box, the case was such miserable quality that I hate to waste the effort on it...misaligned openings and scarring at the bottom end like somebody tried to pry it open with a screwdriver. I'm wondering if I got a repackaged return. Are they all like that?

Upvote 0
Is that the red "snap on hard cover", VZW6300COVRED? I picked up one at my local Verizon store this afternoon, thinking I'd get my Dremel out and try the mod if I got time. But when I opened the box, the case was such miserable quality that I hate to waste the effort on it...misaligned openings and scarring at the bottom end like somebody tried to pry it open with a screwdriver. I'm wondering if I got a repackaged return. Are they all like that?

Yup mine is like that too. Love the color and feel way too much to care though.

Upvote 0
That's pretty cool. I just got started with mine last week,and the first thing that struck me was how cool the red insides look. I thought about dremeling out parts of the back case and gluing some thin clear plastic over these "windows" from the inside. (So much merchandise comes in clear, tough plastic cases these days, it's not hard to find something transparent but unbreakable). If I ever get around to it, I'll have to post some pics too.
I got my HTC 2150mAH battery today from VZW. It's HUGE, but I've been thinking about how to make it more streamlined since I heard about it. Enter my dremel work.

Upvote 0
Wow, didn't think I'd have this much of a positive response. If you guys REALLY REALLY wanted, I'd do it for $20 + cost of the case. It takes me about 1-2 hours to do this.

But, seriously you could do this with some patience and steady dremel work.

The more i check these pics out the more i wanna try to do this, that setup w/ex battery is just.... Incredible!!

Upvote 0
That's pretty cool. I just got started with mine last week,and the first thing that struck me was how cool the red insides look. I thought about dremeling out parts of the back case and gluing some thin clear plastic over these "windows" from the inside. (So much merchandise comes in clear, tough plastic cases these days, it's not hard to find something transparent but unbreakable). If I ever get around to it, I'll have to post some pics too.

THAT is a cool idea too

Upvote 0
Decided to meet some of the demand and offer my modding to you guys.

I will do this on a per request basis for $45 including the case, and $25 if you mail me the case yourself. This includes shipping the case to you (you pay for shipping to me). If I grab the case myself, I simply run to the VZW store and pick on up, and this saves you on shipping to me.

PM me if you want me to do this. Just give me about 5 days or so turnaround time, as I have full time obligations elsewhere.

Upvote 0
The VZW case isn't built to the tightest tolerances. So, some creaking is evident in mine (been like that since day one). My girl's case doesn't creak, but the seams don't line up. Again, been like that since day one. Not too concerned, since it's just a $20 case and not a $500 phone.

Upvote 0
Wow, didn't think I'd have this much of a positive response. If you guys REALLY REALLY wanted, I'd do it for $20 + cost of the case. It takes me about 1-2 hours to do this.

But, seriously you could do this with some patience and steady dremel work.

You got such a great response on this because it makes logical sense to have a case like this. I don't understand how professional case manufacturers are not bright enough to realize they do not need to cover that buldge in the back, even without the extended battery. When a phone falls, it is going to hit the corners. Idiotic design flaws like that piss me off soo much.

Great job drPheta, I had been trying to find someone else who had considered this modification and someone pointed me to your thread. It upsets me that you can't buy a case like this from companies that sole job/purpose is to design them intelligently.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if HTC built this phone with the buldge/extrusions in the back to give case manufacturers a hint as to how they should design their cases. It looks like they were obviously to stupid to pick up on that.

Upvote 0
I purchased the black silicone case along with my extended battery after seeing this mod. I cut out the back and popped it on.

While it provides adequate protection, the phone was overall too bulky for my tastes. Hate the bulge from the battery and with the case, it was way too much. So I just go back to being naked. I love throwing money away!

Upvote 0
I purchased the black silicone case along with my extended battery after seeing this mod. I cut out the back and popped it on.

While it provides adequate protection, the phone was overall too bulky for my tastes. Hate the bulge from the battery and with the case, it was way too much. So I just go back to being naked. I love throwing money away!
Can you please post some pictures. This is exactly what I was planning on doing, and it would be great to see some pictures before wasting my money. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones