• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC desire crashes and restarts randomly

What if you brought your phone to an authorized retailer and don't have a ticket number (or serial number off hand)?

I think the Serial Number and the IMEI can be found under where the battery lives in the phone. Would tell you for sure but mines all packaged up ready to go back to HTC hospital.

I was quoted 10-15 working days before I shipped mine back if I recall. I'll be paying close attention to those numbers as I'm paying a premium on my contract for this phone and the facilities it offers.

Yeah I plan on keeping a record and evidence of them receiving and eventually sending the phone back and then negotiating the time off of my contract with T-Mobile. I've no idea if it will work but being stern and using words like "fair" or "unfair", "reasonable" or "unreasonable" tends to get you somewhere when dealing with big companies in competitive markets. Its worked when I've had problems with my broadband and one of my credit cards in the past.

Upvote 0
Most carrier backed insurances cover faults, as you get doorstep replacement.

Ah - wasn't thinking of carrier insurance. I automatically thought of household etc! I've *never* had a problem with a mobile in the past and always just thought of lost/stolen phones which are covered by my household insurance. Seemed daft to pay someone else to cover my phone specifically for the same thing.

Upvote 0
Hi same as but mine's been in since sept 7th, have spoken with htc and emailed they are saying they change the motherboard and shipping pne back to carphone ware hse so fingers crossed should get it back sometime next week 27th sept. only pray all works well. question? does the phone have a two year warranty as the booklet says it does but cpw say its only a year ???????????

Upvote 0
@ superted187 - my phone is currently with HTC waiting for repair. It has been with them for over a week now (they received the phone on Monday 13 Sept) so I emailed them yesterday and this is the response I got:

"Hi, I have just looked into your repair, and it is still waiting to go into diagnostics, at this time our repair turn around is 15 working days from delivery to the repair centre so unfortunately, the phone may take a further 10 working days before we will return your phone. Thank you for contacting HTC"

So you may have to wait at least 3 weeks (15 working days) for your phone to be repaired :mad:

Hi same as but mine's been in since sept 7th, have spoken with htc and emailed they are saying they change the motherboard and shipping pne back to carphone ware hse so fingers crossed should get it back sometime next week 27th sept. only pray all works well. question? does the phone have a two year warranty as the booklet says it does but cpw say its only a year ???????????
:thinking:

Upvote 0
does the phone have a two year warranty as the booklet says it does but cpw say its only a year ???????????

If the manufacturers say 2 years then it's 2 years. Generally (and I think this is trade law, but don't quote me) the retailer has to deal with problems for the first 12 months on electrical items. *They* are who you deal with to save you going to the manufacturer in the initial period - though you can choose to go direct.

After that, the manufacturer assumes responsibility.

Iain

Reactions: wee momma
Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I've just decided to register as I've had a similar problem over the past few weeks - constant looping restarts and now the phone won't start at all. Anyway, my reason for posting is to find out if anyone has had a similar experience with booking a collection of their broken Desire.

I phoned HTC earlier to arrange a collection, and they told me that they would send two emails - one with the UPS label for the jiffy back and another with a 'ticksheet' that has to go inside the bag. Problem is - they only sent the UPS label. Unfourtunately my call was just before the phone lines closed tonight, and they're coming to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can I just write a few details on a sheet and put it in the bag? What exactly is a 'ticksheet' anyway?

Upvote 0
Can I just write a few details on a sheet and put it in the bag? What exactly is a 'ticksheet' anyway?

Hi Mark, HTC didn't send me a tick sheet either but I found a sample tick sheet via google images.

All I done was type up and print on a sheet most of the details that was on this tick sheet, in the form of a list, and they haven't moaned about it. I included my name, address, phone number, email address, ticket id, serial and IMEI numbers of the device and a brief description of the problem / fault. I didn't bother with the cosmetic condition of the device.

Because I bought my phone on-line, I also printed out my order confirmation email to include as proof of purchase.

Beware, it will not be a quick fix. They quoted me 15 working days for it to be repaired and my phone has been with them now since 13 September. I emailed them today and they said that it is going in to be repaired tomorrow and I should have it returned to me some time next week.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ncfcMark
Upvote 0
Beware, it will not be a quick fix. They quoted me 15 working days for it to be repaired and my phone has been with them now since 13 September. I emailed them today and they said that it is going in to be repaired tomorrow and I should have it returned to me some time next week.

Mine was shipped to them on the 6th of September and only 2 days ago went from "being tested" to "being repaired". I was quoted 10-12 working days. By my maths, we're nearer the 18 mark...

Reactions: ncfcMark
Upvote 0
Well, I just went to Bell to pick up my Legend today, and apparently they ran some diagnostic tests and found nothing wrong! So I just spent $50 for a loaner phone and was stuck with it for two weeks for nothing?! I will check the manual again, but I don't recall random reboots when the device gets under 50% battery life and/or under heavy load as one of the features of this device.

I'm currently running some torture tests on the device to try and crash it, but so far so good. They did do a factory reset on it, so maybe all it was a bad boot or something (the first reset occurred when I was calling Bell to setup credit card payments, before I ever downloaded a thing)?

I'll keep ya guys updated...

Upvote 0
I've actually pre-ordered a Desire HD because of this problem. My current Desire started messing me about a couple of months ago and has never been able to do anything too strenuous on 3G and GPS since.

Hopefully the Desire will hold out til the HD arrives and then HTC can take as long as they want to fix it and it'll go straight on eBay when I get it back.

Just gotta hope the Desire HD doesn't develop a similar problem now......:eek:

Upvote 0
Hello all.

Has anyone recieved their phone back from htc with the mother board changed and the phones works 100%?? or have you still had same problems with the phone rebooting.I'm due to get mine back next week & htc said that they have changed the motherboard. so fingers crossed.

When mine came back from repair (with a new motherboard and antenna) it was doing the same within a week. Vodafone gave me an iPhone4, and I was happy enough at that. It seems now that HTC have sent me "my phone" back. I now have a dodgy Desire, and a mystery "fixed" desire. Haven't had a chance to test this 2nd one yet...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones