• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero vs EVO (or other phone...) Help please!

Hi guys! I need some help. My husband and I are switching to Sprint within the next week or so, which means new phones. :) Now, I'm trying to decide which phone to get...which is why I'm turning to you. I really want the EVO (really want it), but my husband says I don't need it...considering I have a 32 gig iPod touch. He's trying to tell me that what I need is the Hero.

Pros and cons to the Hero (vs. the EVO)?

Has the Hero already reached the end of it's update life cycle? If so, how will that affect me for the next 2 years if I choose it when we sign our new contract? (I've never had a Droid phone and don't know what all the update entails). Can you update to 2.1 yet?

Does the Hero have lag issues? Speed issues?

What would you do/what do you think?

What do you think is the best HTC phone out right now and why?

Welcome.

There are plenty of differences between the Hero and the Evo, the first being that the Hero is already a year old. The chances of an official release of the next revision of android (2.2) for the Hero are slim. There will most likely be revisions of it released via developer channels, but that me be beyond the realm of what you're willing to do to your phone.

My wife and I both have heroes, they are both running developer revisions of 2.1, and they are great handsets, but battery life could use some serious improvement, and there is occasional lag when using the dialer. The Evo does not have the hard send/end buttons or the trackball that the Hero has and it is noticeably larger.

I don't have an EVO yet, I am waiting for it to be available to Sprint employees, but a friend of mine has one, and his battery life is far better than mine, I have played with a few of them, and the speed difference is noticeable.

I would recommend the EVO, as of right now it is Sprint's flagship handset, and hopefully will retain that title for some time. It will receive 2.2, probably in the near future

Upvote 0
Hi guys! I need some help. My husband and I are switching to Sprint within the next week or so, which means new phones. :) Now, I'm trying to decide which phone to get...which is why I'm turning to you. I really want the EVO (really want it), but my husband says I don't need it...considering I have a 32 gig iPod touch. He's trying to tell me that what I need is the Hero.

Pros and cons to the Hero (vs. the EVO)?

Has the Hero already reached the end of it's update life cycle? If so, how will that affect me for the next 2 years if I choose it when we sign our new contract? (I've never had a Droid phone and don't know what all the update entails). Can you update to 2.1 yet?

Does the Hero have lag issues? Speed issues?

What would you do/what do you think?

What do you think is the best HTC phone out right now and why?

Welcome aboard! First thing first, if you want the Evo, get the Evo. Why does your husband think you don't need it??? Curious...

Yes, the Hero has already reached the end of it's update cycle. Essentially, the way you get it is the way it will stay unless you decide to root it (like jailbreaking) and install custom software that developers have created for the phone. The 2.1 update is already available.

Yes, the Hero has both lag issues and speed issues. That being said, it is all comparative to something else. Personally, the lag issues and speed issues are minimal and easy to deal with; others disagree and think it makes the phone horrible.

Personally, I'd go with the Evo. But if you have small hands or don't mind technology that's a little older, the Hero is still a great phone.

IMO, the Evo is the best Android/HTC phone available. If I was looking to leave Sprint and pay another $40 a month, I would look into the Droid X.

Pro's and Con's vary a lot for each user, so I won't even touch that one. This will be a list best left for you to make. Feel free to ask specific questions that will help you make the list though!

Once again, welcome aboard! :)

Upvote 0
I've had my Hero for 7 months now and am 100% happy with it. I'm running the latest Sprint 2.1 updates with LauncherPro Beta...I have virtually no lag or speed issues, my battery lasts all day (14-16 hours) with moderate use (heavy use it'll go 8-10 hours). I've played with an Evo and my boss has one. Sure, the 4.3" screen puts the Hero's to shame, but his battery life sucks compared to mine and my Hero is plenty fast enough.

Even though the Hero is nearing the end of its 'life cycle', it is still a great phone and will be for many years to come. I think the main deciding factors between the Evo and Hero are cost, size, and whether you can get use out of the 4G (you pay the 4G premium regardless).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones