• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huawei P9 Lite, Mass Storage/MTP Option Disappeared

auntyethel

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
Hi everyone

I've had a P9 Lite for about 7 months. For file transferring, I've never bothered with any of the included software, have rather used the method of plugging it in, swiping down the notification area and selecting files, so it works like a flashdrive.

However, yesterday I had it plugged in, used it, unplugged it. A little while later, plugged it back in... and nothing. It charges (takes a few seconds to register now) but doesn't appear connected to my PC at all (Windows 10). The option to select 'files' no longer appears, and it doesn't register in My Computer. As far as I know, I didn't do anything at all in my phone to change any USB options.

I've tried using the *#*#2846579#*#* code and fiddling with the USB options, have tried multiple cables which work with a friend's P9 Lite, different PCs, but nothing.

Is there anything I'm potentially missing? I've heard the other option would be to do a Factory Reset... If that is the last option I'll try it. However, as I'm a bit of an Android noob, would I have to back my phone up before doing this? I can't backup via USB now, so any recommendations for a backup program that would restore my phone exactly as it is after a reset?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones