• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I held out with 1.5 and am PROUD

neogenesis

Mar 7, 2010
Title says it all. With the impending 2.1 OTA, I'm glad to say I held out on 1.5 :D (Of course I've only had the phone for a little over a month.....oh well, none the less)

Just wanted to start a fun little thread about exercising will power in the face of temptation ;)

So let's hear it if you waited successfully

(Pretty sure I can add Frisco to the list)

I waited up until the time that it was clear that it was possible to root and also roll completely back to stock 1.17.605.1 ("1.5 MR2"), if that is what I wanted to do. (I did it once to prove the point, but haven't looked back since.)

After that, there was nothing to be lost by rooting, and something to gain.

But waiting at least that long did save me from falling into to "leak" trap. ;)

eu1

Upvote 0
I've held out and since I don't want to jinx anything, I am going to continue holding out until OTA arrives. I've had my phone since January.
Why did I hold out? Because I know that I have enough tech acumen not to mess up and brick my phone, but I don't trust the various components enough not to fail at just the wrong time. Then I'd have a dead phone and no recourse. And I know my wife well enough to know that she'd wouldn't let be buy a new smartphone at full price.

Also, I felt like there is probably a good enough reason that VZW hadn't released yet. Honestly, I'd rather just get the smoothest, fully supported experience I can get. I never felt the need to screw around with the leak and then screw around with all the little issues that invariably crop up with such things. They may not make your phone a brick, but they do consume time to manage.

So anyway, that's why I've waited and continue to wait.

Upvote 0
I've waited and will continue to wait for the real thing. There were many years I was the first to try beta versions or various pieces of software or hardware, and had too many disasters to go back there. First and foremost, I need a phone that works and can't risk messing it up. And if it does mess up, I just don't have the time to wrestle with it so I can use it.

Don't get me wrong..thrilled if the OtA happens soon, but glad the phone has been working somewhat consistently. I was pretty tempted a couple of weeks ago, but after playing with my son's Incredible, didn't see anything critically different that couldn't wait.

Upvote 0
Just when I was going to root. Now I'm torn between waiting to see if the OTA really is going to start or just going ahead and rooting anyway. I might root anyway, and flash the 2.1 v3 rooted version, and then wait for someone to release a rooted version of the 2.1 OTA just in case any of the ROMs I'm eyeing fix the problems that would be deal breakers for me right now.

Upvote 0
I've had this phone since the 23rd of Jan. It's funny because I was hoping the update would come before i brought it. I joined this site a couple days before i brought the phone and all I saw was topics about the update. The only reason I resisted the urge to root and leak is simply because the process looked difficult and I didn't want my phone to turn into a brick. I hope there was a way for people like us who waited to get the update first.

Upvote 0
Same here. Got my Eris on launch day (November 6th, 2009). Been running nothing but official updates from Verizon ever since. I remember way back when the phone was new every time you restarted the phone all the names of apps would get all messed up. They would revert back to their base process name. For example, Amazon MP3 would be called: com.amazon.mp3 This would happen every time you update an app and then reboot. It was awful. The apps would all have cryptic names all over the place. They finally fixed that bug in the last update.

They still haven't fixed the bug where "all day" calendar appointments show up a day early in the HTC widget.

Upvote 0
Title says it all. With the impending 2.1 OTA, I'm glad to say I held out on 1.5 :D (Of course I've only had the phone for a little over a month.....oh well, none the less)

Just wanted to start a fun little thread about exercising will power in the face of temptation ;)

So let's hear it if you waited successfully

(Pretty sure I can add Frisco to the list)

Don't understand what there is to be proud about. You've deprived yourself of useful apps such as the turn by turn nav which I used extensively on a recent vacation trip. Just don't see it I guess.

Reactions: LexusBrian400
Upvote 0
1150449467555xt4.gif

still waiting for the ota to start.

Upvote 0
You guys don't know what you're missing by not rooting. You would still be able to have the new OTA update (it takes seconds to root it once we have the update) and you'd be able to overclock, remove apps that you don't want/need and run some great custom ROMs. You should really consider it before it's too late.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones