• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I regret leaving Apple for Android

Hi

As my thread title says I am having serious doubts whether I made the right decision to sell my iPhone and iPad and get an S3 and Note 10.1 in their place.

Firstly I find Android apps much more unstable than ios apps. Worst culprits are TomTom, Google Playstore, and Pocket Money which regularly crash but several others do less frequently. Even the Nova Launcher crashes from time to time. I have restored both devices in the hope that it would help but they still cause problems.

Other problems for me are not being able to wirelessly print emails out of the box as I could with ios.

I find the notifications poor - no little numbers on the text, email, whatsapp icons to say you have a message etc.

My S3 constantly cuts calls off mid conversation, sometimes 4 times in a half hour call. My S3 says its connected to my Bluetooth earpiece but actually its not and I have to turn off and then on Bluetooth to connect.

If a call comes in on my S3 whilst I am talking to someone else the option to switch to the new call is covered up by a box telling me what the last text message was from the new caller!

Sorry to be knocking Android, I really wanted to love it having had iphones and ipads for several years but I am just finding the love for Android aint there:(

As for the apps crashing.. android is open source and always getting new apps. Cheaper priced apps on android because of this. Some of the app makers just don't care as much about the android counterpart as they do ios and causes crashing because they don't care to update it..

As for the phone cutting calls, this could be due to a network error and not the os. Be sure you have service.

And I actually happen to like the notifications because I tend to look at them frequently and not build up a lot of texts. If I do however, ill know when I click in the notification because it will bring me to my inbox with multiple messages rather than just the one message that came in..

For printing.. you can and can't out of the box. Part of this is due to apple's marketing scheme and manipulating other companies to follow their suit.. even these days, the market shares of android topple iPhone. I sell 20 android devices a day versus 1 iPhone a week.. apple has everyone believing they're winning when really their not.. and I'm a wireless salesman at a large chain, not an android salesman. So its not me trying to make android sales go up..

It's all on preferance and so far the market has seen apple as a greedy falsy falicitic company out to try and steal everyone's money.. all the while creating an operating system that is as tasteless as Steve jobs talking about how he thinks other people steal his ideas.. which IS untrue.. look up the video "did apple really invent anything?" And you will know what I mean..

Anywho, sorry to go on a rant but I'd use the ubuntu phone or windows phone before using ios...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hey, it's your opinion superhoops. :) Sorry your Android experience isn't going well for you. If the apps are acting up then you could always clear the data on them. I never really have any problems with apps. As for calls it might be service in your area. Have never used BlueTooth. For me the notifications are fine. :)
If you prefer Apple that is all good. Whatever makes you happy and is better to use. :)

Upvote 0
As MP stated above, there is nothing wrong with preferring Apple to Android.
It is just a matter of preference sometimes.
As for the problems you are having, I would contact your service provider, and see if they might be able to do some troubleshooting on your devices to help with those issues, as that is not normal to Android. It may also have to do with where you live and your signal strength. You may be dealing with several factors here that are making your Android experience a bad one. I am sorry you are having so much trouble.:(

Upvote 0
Hi Superhoops,

Sorry you're having these problems. As Damewolf says, there may be more than one factor here, but I hope that we can help with some of them. Some of the things you describe (e.g. the text box when a second call comes in) might be specific to the Samsung software, so it might be worth asking in our S3 forum whether anyone else has experienced that or has any suggestions.

I've not used some of the apps you experience problems with, but am very surprised at the Play Store crashing. I use a much older and less powerful device and have never seen this. I do certainly agree that some developers seem to have put a lot more effort into their iOS apps than the android versions (as a Brit the BBC iPlayer app comes to mind, and I think that Pocket Informant looks great on iOS but find the Android version repulsive). I think us Android owners can only hope that these developers appreciate the size of the potential market and get their acts together.

Upvote 0
damewolf13 Yep I must get onto Samsung and see if I can have the phone looked at as it just cuts out so much. I am sales rep and make a lot of calls from the car whilst driving and although I always had the odd cut-out due to going out of reception area its happening all the time when it didn't on the previous phone.

Upvote 0
Hadron
You are so right about Pocket Informant. That was always my calendar of choice on ios, I used it to record all my business appointments. What utter rubbish the Android version is- I now use Calengoo instead.

I will take up your suggestion about posting on the S3 forum about the text box covering up the option to switch calls! Cheers

Upvote 0
boyo1991 I agree that developers seem to put less effort into their Android apps than Ios versions. The Tomtom app is not a patch on the ios app. The Android version of Quickoffice is diabolical rubbish unlike the ios app that was extremely efficient for my work.
Anyway I am on a contract now so I will try to grow to love it!

Don't worry! You will! Don't let developers not spreading the live get you down!

Upvote 0
My S3 constantly cuts calls off mid conversation, sometimes 4 times in a half hour call. My S3 says its connected to my Bluetooth earpiece but actually its not and I have to turn off and then on Bluetooth to connect.

"Carrier: 3 UK" .... that sounds about right, going on my experience as well with them. Was your iPhone on the same carrier? 3 UK is cheap, but they're a dreadful carrier IMO

Upvote 0
Lol for me its the note 2.. I want to get an unlocked one.. don't even care if its really from Samsung.. the size, and the processor both make me want it to no end! Lol

You weren't thinking about a cheapo Chinese one were you?

You know the phrase? "Never mind the quality...feel the width." ...well that can be very true. :D :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
"Carrier: 3 UK" .... that sounds about right, going on my experience as well with them. Was your iPhone on the same carrier? 3 UK is cheap, but they're a dreadful carrier IMO

Yes its actually the 3Uk sim that I had in the iphone. I have used 3 for a long time cos of the unlimited data and, up to now, good coverage for me

Upvote 0
Sounds like you've had a pretty dire time with Samsung. Can't say I blame you for wanting to head back to Apple if your experiences with them were so much better.

Of course, switching back to Apple is going to be expensive so it's probably worth following the advice above about posting details of the issues you have on the relevant forums here, see if some of them can be resolved.

Upvote 0
My 2 cents. Theres is nothing that iphone does that the s3 doesn't. The "out of the box" is overrated and there's always an app for everything. The more you use Google the beter the experience. This goes for printing too.
As for notifications I do have numbers on the icons but again theres app for that too.
I haven't experienced any lagging nor other problems whatsoever.
As for office apps. Theres different options on the market or you can try Polaris.

Upvote 0
Beware of generalisation Alice. I'm running an old version of Android on a 3 year old handset and don't experience crashes at all. Of course my system is stripped down to what I use, no carrier additions or manufacturer skins. People's experience of android depends on device and carrier (though the devices the OP has should be better than this, which makes it odd).

And iOS does have crashes, but does them silently - if you find yourself back on the homescreen and wonder whether you've hit the home button by mistake, that was the app crashing (I've seen this on my daughter's iPhone - she knew perfectly well what it meant).

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones