• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I will never buy another Android device that isn't a nexus!

Yep well its lasted 2 days on obviously gonna be asleep in some of that time so its going to be idle.
The screen has still been on in excess of 4 hours so that would be clasified as moderate use also I listen to music with the screen off on the way to work.

Seriously I think you are expecting way too much. Battery technology hasn't advanced too much over the years.

Upvote 0
e3eqy7a6.jpg
This won't last for 4 more hours if I continue on Wi-Fi browsing etc..., I rarely watch vids and don't play any games on it, barely used it today

Upvote 0
I really enjoy my Nexus 4 but I won't make the same statement as Sean and here's why:

1. Audio Quality: On the Nexus 4 it's not great, even with the Beats hack thingy it's still not as good as my Note LTE was.

2. Storage: I could only get my hands on the 8GB option but even if I had the 16GB option I prefer to have that plus an empty slot for lots of music. I use my smartphone for all of my mobile music needs and I can't really pull it off very well with the Nexus.

3. S-Pen: I really enjoyed the S-Pen on my Note LTE and am looking forward to getting the Note 2 as a secondary device so that I have that option.

4. Screen Size: Same thing as the S-Pen, I really liked having a really big device in the Note LTE. Hopefully they make a 5.5 inch Nexus at some point though.

5. Extra TouchWhiz Neat Software Stuff: All of the cool features that came with the GS3 and Note 2 really appeal to me, like putting your hand over the sensor and having it show you things you missed, the hearing test thing for calls, there's a buttload of them that I'd like to have.

As of now I'll be keeping the Nexus 4 until it no longer gets updates from Google, but my plan is to get a Note 2 in a few weeks once my tax returns come back to use for music and s-pen stuff. I'll just get a t-mobile $30 a month plan for it and get 5GB of data and move my Nexus down to the 200mb plan on my AT&T plan.

Upvote 0
1. Audio Quality: On the Nexus 4 it's not great, even with the Beats hack thingy it's still not as good as my Note LTE was.

I guess you mean the audio quality from the speaker. For a phone, I think it's remarkably good. There are times when I used to have to use earphones that I can now just use the speaker. Of course, I mostly listen to podcasts which is kinda different.

2. Storage: I could only get my hands on the 8GB option but even if I had the 16GB option I prefer to have that plus an empty slot for lots of music. I use my smartphone for all of my mobile music needs and I can't really pull it off very well with the Nexus.

Yeah, the 16GB model would probably have been better for you. I still have around 6GB free, though I do have more music to load.

4. Screen Size: Same thing as the S-Pen, I really liked having a really big device in the Note LTE. Hopefully they make a 5.5 inch Nexus at some point though.

I think the N4 is big enough! For me, the Note is WAY too big: must look like you're talking into a paperback when you use it as a phone.

Maybe if they increase the screen size into the top and bottom bezel it would be fine, but if a bigger screen means a bigger form factor, it's not for me.

5. Extra TouchWhiz Neat Software Stuff: All of the cool features that came with the GS3 and Note 2 really appeal to me, like putting your hand over the sensor and having it show you things you missed, the hearing test thing for calls, there's a buttload of them that I'd like to have.

That's true: some of the things on the S3 sounded cool, like shutting off the screen when you're not looking at it.

Upvote 0
I guess you mean the audio quality from the speaker. For a phone, I think it's remarkably good. There are times when I used to have to use earphones that I can now just use the speaker. Of course, I mostly listen to podcasts which is kinda different.

The speaker is good enough for me, I mean out of the headphone jack. I plug it into my Scion through the aux input and it's the worst sounding phone I've had (I had an iPhone 3GS, Evo 4G, Evo 3D and Note i717).

Upvote 0

Yeah, the 16GB model would probably have been better for you. I still have around 6GB free, though I do have more music to load.

I think the N4 is big enough! For me, the Note is WAY too big: must look like you're talking into a paperback when you use it as a phone.

Maybe if they increase the screen size into the top and bottom bezel it would be fine, but if a bigger screen means a bigger form factor, it's not for me.

That's true: some of the things on the S3 sounded cool, like shutting off the screen when you're not looking at it.

Note doesn't look funny to me! Really depends on how big ones hands are.

Upvote 0
Wow. Just went into a local T-mobile store and got my first experience with a real live Nexus 4, not some internet pic. F-ing gorgeous to behold and hold.

Agreed. I'm still surprised at how nice it is and mine arrived a few days after launch day.

Note doesn't look funny to me! Really depends on how big ones hands are.

yeah I have average sized hands but a big head so holding it up to my ear isn't an issue for me, though I never talk on the phone anyways.

Upvote 0
Well I guess the Name of my thread here is holding true...After playing with my buddy's note 2 the other day I decided to take a chance and upgrade my at&t line and pick up a note 2 to use on my other line.

Well it arrived earlier today and after a whole day of playing with it and putting it through the paces, its already back in the box and heading back to at&t tomorrow.

Honestly the phone is a beast, its real snappy, the screen is really nice, the camera is just awesome, and the size to me is fine since I got some big paws...But after really digging deep into my nexus for the last month or so, I just can't go back, not even for my second line. Its a reality that if I'm rocking an android device, its going to have to be a nexus, and only a nexus.

I'll be using that upgrade for the new Blackberry Z10 when its released.

Upvote 0
There is a big difference. The spare battery can be stored in a bag or somewhere. When your phone runs out of juice, you SWAP the batteries. Your phone remains the same weight and shape. If can also charge the battery you just swapped out and continue to use your phone. And spare battery are dirt cheap.

With the battery pack, when your phone is out of juice you have to ATTACH the battery pack, which makes your phone bulkier and heavier. Battery packs more so much more expensive, one battery pack can cost as much as 20 batteries.

Upvote 0
Battery packs more so much more expensive, one battery pack can cost as much as 20 batteries

There are some reviews on here for battery packs that weren't that expensive. Well, not unless you're getting spare batteries for around a buck a pop :)

Nexus 4 is the stupidest Android phone, it in Android version of the Iphone, with Google as the wall garden.

I don't know about stupidest: there have been some truly awful phones made ..

There is no such thing as a perfect phone and I certainly don't love all of the Nexus 4 design choices - particularly not the Apple-like all glass, no SD card, no removable battery - but for that price, it's simply unbeatable.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
What if you go camping for the weekend, and you get lost, and the only way to get out is to call for help or use gps, and you only have nexus 4, and a wall charger. Your battery is flav, Well you are dead man walking

Good point!

Of course, all phones have batteries. And battery extenders and solar chargers don't exist.

What to do?

I guess the only safe option is to plug a really, really long power cable in before you leave the house.

Second thoughts: what happens if there's a power failure at your home?

I know! Take a diesel power generator with you. And several gallons of fuel.

That's quite a lot to carry, though. You might need a car.

In which case, you could use the GPS in the car!

Problem solved!

Upvote 0
What happens when the battery dies on the train? Well bad luck, because the battery is none removable haha.

What happens if you're on a train or a sleeper bus for 24 or 36 hours and no way to charge a phone? Which is something I do sometimes. Answer: Not bad luck. But you use a USB battery pack, available in quite large capacities as well. Keeps a phone going for days.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/639077246/ALDP_07_dual_usb_12000mah_power.html?s=p
12Ah capacity, that should keep a Nexus going for a while. Long train journeys, camping trips, etc.

Upvote 0
Hi there, I've taken the liberty of removing a couple of posts which didn't really belong here. ;)

If you think someone steps out of line - don't respond, hit the report button and we'll take care of it. Attack issues, not other members.

Any issues with the above, please drop me a PM. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones